Elephant for Dinner

Territory Hunting

Mungo

I grew up in very rural Malawi, and my father worked for the National Parks dept. one of my very earliest memories is of exactly this. Standing in line for hours in the dust, flies and heat, waiting my turn to get a bucket filled with meat, and walking home balancing a slab of bleeding meat on my head with one hand and lugging the bucket with the other. I think my dad had actually shot the elephant in question as a problem animal in someone's maize field. It's quite tasty stuff.

6.5/284matt

The comments underneath make interesting reading. Especially the OP and then the guy telling him to go kill himself.

​Matt.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Been there, just got my 1998 film onto DVD of the same situation, one whole Elephant gone in just under 2 hours.

You would not believe how hungry people are in some parts of the world.

Hunting Solutions

Been there, just got my 1998 film onto DVD of the same situation, one whole Elephant gone in just under 2 hours.

You would not believe how hungry people are in some parts of the world.

​Any chance you could upload the DVD to youtube Malc? Would love to see that!

Mr. Gain

You'd not want to slip with the knife when gralloching jumbo, I imagine (or rather, I'd prefer not to!). In fact, even if it all went well it would undoubtedly be quite an experience! :eek:

Mungo

i bet skinning was a hell of a job , a sharp knife wouldnt last 5 mins on that !

My recollection is that it's not as bad as you'd think. Once you make the initial incision (done with pangas and saws), the skin peels away quite easily.

pip

i bet skinning was a hell of a job , a sharp knife wouldnt last 5 mins on that !
Buggered up my buck vanguard when I did one. Had it re-ground when I got home. View attachment 31233 The trunk was incredibly tough. It took the best part of 5 hours for 4 of us to completely remove all the meat. All the meat from this one went to a crocadile farm. The other 3 we shot were butchered by villagers from the nearest settlements to where we culled them.

Last edited:

skywull

guy sees a sighn outside a cafe in glasgow...we serve anything or you get 1000 quid ..so the fella goes in ,,,give me a stewed leg of monkey he said smugly the wiatress comes back with stewed leg of monkey ...the fellas amazed ...so he goes back next nite ...give me elephant balls and chips ...the waitress come back with plate of elephant balls n chips ...the fellas gobsmacked .....so he goes in next nite ..rite he sez give me toast on snake tongue ..the waitress dissapears and come back with his 1000 quid ..AHHHHH HAAAAAAAAA he shouts noooo snake tongue eh ...waitress says no sir no bread ...

steve109

I Was in Africa a couple of years ago and saw them skinning everything from Large eland to springhares,
using pen knives and bits of wire for turning the ears.
Amazing to see how quick there where at skinning.