Elmwood College complete DSC1 in one day

rab19

Hi All,

I have just been informed by Elmwood College that the whole DSC1 Course in March is only a ONE day course, starting at 09.30am and finishing at approx 3.30pm ,this is as far as I know includes the shooting section as well.

I have just paid out £300 for the course and not panicking but can anyone tell me if it's actually possible to do the complete course in one day?

Is anyone else on here doing the course at Elmwood on friday 8th March and been told anything different?

As far as I can see no other company, Jelen, BDS etc do not do one day courses, it's either 2 or 3 days.

I thought that as well and have emailed and waiting on an answer, but I paid the £300 for the whole course, not just assessment

Does sound like just the assessment.

The one I did with the BDS near Ilkley took four days. The actual course lectures were the Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon was the tick box paper, Sunday the shooting and the safety test.

Somebody did just join us for just the tests and not the lectures, but even that was both weekend days.

Alan

Looking at the website it does state 2 days but doesn't show the course you have booked on.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.13.03.jpg

Last edited:
I don't believe that one day is long enough to provide a full course. Let alone the times indicated above! Some superhuman students may just be able to take it all in even if the lecturer is a super communicator. Most of us mere mortals couldn't assimilate it all in that time. It's hard enough even with lots of pre-course study & requires at least two days IMHO.
£300 is far too much for even a one day assessment IMHO.
There are other providers in Scotland who will provide a more workable system for the same sort of money.

Ian

One day doesn't sound long enough, I did theory etc, on the first day.
And the shooting etc, the next.
Get in contact them and just check!

I certainly would not lash out any sum without full disclosure from the vendor/s, of exactly what is or is not on offer, bye the way IMHO a proper DSC level 1 course is usually provided over a minimum two days.

Rab
B&D DMG put a lot of members through level 1. It took 2.5 intensive days.
Well worth the effort.
Best of luck with it
Alan

Looks like an admin error to me. Maybe you have been booked on an Assessment Only day but charged for a full course? Once you have checked it out, and if it does turn out to be Assessment Only, then I would strongly advise you hit the books. People sometimes underestimate the challenge and sadly fail to achieve the pass mark in some of the five elements of DSC1.

It's possible to run a course for 1 or 2 candidates over 2 days. Any more than that I would be running it over 3 days but even that is a squeeze to fit in all that I like to cover before the assessments. 4 days is at a nice sedate pace. 1 day would be assessment only I would have thought.

Does sound like just the assessment.

The one I did with the BDS near Ilkley took four days. The actual course lectures were the Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon was the tick box paper, Sunday the shooting and the safety test.

Somebody did just join us for just the tests and not the lectures, but even that was both weekend days.

Alan

Looking at the website it does state 2 days but doesn't show the course you have booked on.

View attachment 119738
I was told that the College decided to run a DSC1 as they had enquiries for it. I hope I am not the only one expecting a "full" course only to find out it may only be an assessment day.

I certainly would not lash out any sum without full disclosure from the vendor/s, of exactly what is or is not on offer, bye the way IMHO a proper DSC level 1 course is usually provided over a minimum two days.
Alantoo's screen grab comes straight from the SRUC Elmwood site and it states two days for the course, which I have paid for. I definitely would not have paid £300 just for the assessment. I 'm not as green as I am cabbage looking :) :)

Alantoo's screen grab comes straight from the SRUC Elmwood site and it states two days for the course, which I have paid for. I definitely would not have paid £300 just for the assessment. I 'm not as green as I am cabbage looking :) :)
Hope you get this sorted rab, hopefully its an admin error and will be sorted soon
Cheers
Ray

Im booked for the SRUC Barony DSC1 next weekend (19th/20th). Looking forward to it. I have pals that have done the course over 3/4 days and their suggestion was that a 2 day course would be intense and squeezed in - but not too much in two days. I would prefer to have taken a 3/4 day course but not prepared to sacrifice 2 holiday days off work for it. Anyone on this thread heading to SRUC DSC course in the near future or have done a 2 day SRUC course recently?

Thanks.

R.S.

Im booked for the SRUC Barony DSC1 next weekend (19th/20th). Looking forward to it. I have pals that have done the course over 3/4 days and their suggestion was that a 2 day course would be intense and squeezed in - but not too much in two days. I would prefer to have taken a 3/4 day course but not prepared to sacrifice 2 holiday days off work for it. Anyone on this thread heading to SRUC DSC course in the near future or have done a 2 day SRUC course recently?

Thanks.

R.S.

A lot depends on whether or not Candidates have done any preparation work, if not then even a three or four day course can seem tough especially for those that aren't used to being indoors at a desk all day. If people have spent a lot of time studying, and are familiar with learning and assessment processes, then a one day Assessment Only event can work well. Quite a lot of people underestimate the learning required for DSC1.

Crumbs ! They must have beefed up the course !

I did DSC1 when first came out & was one day ... got the cd rom before hand to gen up on it .... turned up did all the sections the simulated safety stalk then the shoot test at the end ... done ... 1 day.

Paul

Mine took 3 days at Sparsholt and was enjoyable but extremely full. The assements and shooting test take a full day. There will be no time for teaching IMO.

I was on the first BASC DSC1 in 1998 @ Thetford it was 3days maybe 4? along time ago now. No CD Rom we received the manual some weeks prior to the course for studying lots of classroom learning 1-3 muntjac for every student to practice gralloching. Shooting test on the sunday, 3 days seemed about right.

Back