Emberleaf knives

wildfowler.250

What is the general opinion on here? I bought a cael a few years ago now. Aesthetically I like it but I feel like it regularly needs sharpening. Couple of years down the line I’m happy with it but couldn’t tell you if it was worth the purchase or not,(sometimes I think something like a havalon blade is the way to go).

On a slightly different note, how do folk go about sharpening them? Strop gets some edge back but it wouldn’t shave paper. I’ve been told they shouldn’t really need whetstones? I never thought I’d buy a knife and spend half time sharpening it up again. That been said, I do use it from gutting to removing heads etc so bound to blunt a bit more quickly.

Interested to hear what everyone else’s experiences with them are?

Stalker1962

Whether or not it was worth the purchase is entirely subjective.

I bought an Emberleaf about five years ago and it has never needed to be sharpened.

The main reason it has never been sharpened, is because it never leaves the house. I bought it because I loved the way it looked and the was fascinated with the skill required to make it. For me, it is a thing of beauty and whilst expensive, was (for me) worth it.

Sharpening.

All (used) knives will need some TLC to keep at its sharpest.

Plenty of methods out there to do so. If none suit you, then there is always the option to return to the originator ( or other professionals) and have them bring it back to its best.

devon deer stalker

What is the general opinion on here? I bought a cael a few years ago now. Aesthetically I like it but I feel like it regularly needs sharpening. Couple of years down the line I’m happy with it but couldn’t tell you if it was worth the purchase or not,(sometimes I think something like a havalon blade is the way to go).

On a slightly different note, how do folk go about sharpening them? Strop gets some edge back but it wouldn’t shave paper. I’ve been told they shouldn’t really need whetstones? I never thought I’d buy a knife and spend half time sharpening it up again. That been said, I do use it from gutting to removing heads etc so bound to blunt a bit more quickly.

Interested to hear what everyone else’s experiences with them are?
Sorry WF I don't own one (and never will as I've started to make my own!) but I did purchase a custom SS knife from the states couple years ago, it does need attention more than my swing blade but it is scary sharp after I've sharpened it.
Lansky, steel, then strop works for me.

I also have a Havalon, the blades are a bit pricey, but a good friend of mine supplied me with the same blades that are used in the healthcare world, cheap as chips to purchase.

Cheers

Richard

zimtrout

I would love one, they to me are borderline too expensive. Being such defeats the point of buying a knife, they are to be used!!!

Sako6.5x55

I have one, it’s a beautiful knife and when I had it i could cut paper into tiny strips but the first time I came to use it in the field it was useles.. I had to despatch a fallow buck which had tied itself up in pheasant pen netting, which had twisted round and round forming a 3cm rope, I took out my Emberleaf which had only ever cut paper sand rubbed and rubbed on the rope made from nylon netting with no joy, so I took out my pocket knife and cut through it. Needless to say I also didn’t use it for the gralloch. I’ve since sharpened it with my Lanski and it’s a good stalkers knife.
6EFFCCA8-2B0C-49DF-B3FF-541372AF904D.jpeg 6CEB0712-EBB6-4637-ADC1-AF8FFFFDAD5D.jpeg PS it’s blue because I’m colour blind and I lose knives everywhere.

Overlay

cael 2 i’ve used on many deer and apart from when I initially got it I sent it back as it developed a ripple right on the edge, got it back after 3 days and in that time it has seen heavy use in all that time it only ever needed a wash and brush up and a fine strop up after use to keep it razor sharp

any steel will wear, and maintenance is essential on any price of a knife, emberleaf are a nice piece of kit, all mine are used, i don’t think i would pay out a lot of dollar on a knife you’re not going to use, it was made to use, if you can’t get it to where you want to be with the sharpness - send it back for a service and re sharpen by the maker and take a look at how you look after it and ask the maker on the grind and maintenance, i don’t believe the blade will let you down

Klenchblaize

I don’t own one so can only comment on the aesthetic and choice of material for the scales. Neither of which does anything for me.

Sure they have a funky blade profile that is not without some relevance to 🦌 prep’ but unless each knife comes blessed by Harry Potter I just can’t see the justification for the asking price beyond many SD members are happy to pay it.

Nothing wrong though if you just want to stick one in a drawer and bring it out to eyeball and caress when watching BBC Autumn Watch.

K

caberslash

Good compliment to a Blaser! :lol: :p :stir:

Wonder how well they hold up when wet and bloody, and being left in a sheath overnight?

But then again, an Emberleaf owner would never let that happen!

There is a point where a tool becomes a toy, which usually occurs when they come with engraving and wood grade options...

Uncle f

They stand up in a sheath over night covered in blood and Shite just like any other stainless steel knife/object. !!!

Overlay

Some of the threads on here regarding the suitability of knives having lower expectations are to be honest down to peoples experience, we’ve all cocked up sharpening loads of knives I know I have, gotta a draw full of em - but trying to pry open the atlas joint, sawing through leg joints don’t do any knife justice, blend that in with a general idea of sharpening is bound to have effect on getting a dull blade, getting the right degree of a blade and finding out how to sharpen it if needed is as important as buying it - mess up a sharp up and lost your way, send it back and get guidance on sharpening, it’s worth it to get it right - it makes you feel better to get it right

i have or use the full set of the lansky pro set up and only very rarely do I need to use it, little and often on a strop and a little fine grind paste is that’s ever been needed

use it like a hatchet - buy a hatchet

RTAW85

Always been tempted as I think they are works of art, but never actually purchased because I would never use it for its intended purpose for fear of damaging or losing it. The wife would be driving rusty nails into my ball bag if I bought one just to look at it...

bluesako

im not knocking emberleaf knifes, or any of other great knifes on s/d, they all get a good write up, and the workmanship on them is superb, but they are not to my taste ive got what i think is a good knife, and i dont need another, if you like them go buy one bs.😄