Entemilogists

Tom270

I watched what looks like a small wasp about 10 mm long fly into a large screw hole in a post near the back door. It expelled a small particle from the hole flew of returned and did this all day finally sealing up the hole very neatly. Today it's working on the hole below finally sealing it up this evening,
So what is it and does it matter. Can I leave it's eggs lava etc or do I need to take some action.
Thanks Tom

I watched what looks like a small wasp about 10 mm long fly into a large screw hole in a post near the back door. It expelled a small particle from the hole flew of returned and did this all day finally sealing up the hole very neatly. Today it's working on the hole below finally sealing it up this evening,
So what is it and does it matter. Can I leave it's eggs lava etc or do I need to take some action.
Thanks Tom

HaHa, fourth horseman is gonna love this,,,Ancistrocerus parietum

, It's a "MASON" wasp,,:rofl:

its perfectly harmless and preys on caterpillars. they are able to sting but seldom do unless provoked, unlike the common wasp that seen to hunt and sting people just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
, It's a "MASON" wasp,,
:rofl:

is that on the square ? and has it been taught to be Cautious :eek:

I think you'll find it is actually a Bee called a Mason Bee. They are great to have around as they a harmless and excellent pollinators. Leave it alone or drill more holes to encourage more of them.
MS

HaHa, fourth horseman is gonna love this,,,Ancistrocerus parietum

, It's a "MASON" wasp,,:rofl:

its perfectly harmless and preys on caterpillars. they are able to sting but seldom do unless provoked, unlike the common wasp that seen to hunt and sting people just for the hell of it.

Nah, it aint got an Apron on.:rofl:

It is solitary bee called a Carpenter bee. It will lay an egg within the hole and catch another insect fly or Caterpillar. Then seal the hole up and the sun does the rest until a mature bee appears. They do not have a sting strong enough to penetrate human skin. It is a beneficial bee as they appear before any others and are accidental pollinators of early flowers.
Masonery Bees have same sort of life other than the will go into stone work or old mortar.

well Tom, right about now would be a good time to either show us a picture of wee critter or have a search and discover which it is out of all the possible answers.:cool:

Not sure I understood much of what just went on but you guys enjoyed it, so I enjoyed it too.

Mortar bees I have seen - how many other trades are in the bee/wasp family and how could I get them to come to mine? I have woodworking, and masonry jobs to take care of.....don't suppose there's a plumbing bee as well?

Thanks for the info and the links. It's a mason wall wasp. I have photos will try up load when get time. But it's definitely one the photo in the link and mine are identical.

Back