Vacancy: Estate ranger

What is written above is correct. To get good money brings stress. I'm currently trying to get my mortgage done so I can then take things easy. I have seen too many people get stressed and depressed because of work pressure. I currently run a department in my company and because of it I'm earning ok money. But I don't get the time to split work/family and my hobbies. Family comes first and if I get spare time I go shooting.
When I'm sorted with the mortgage I will have the easy life and relax and do my hobbies

It always amazing me that people even bother to criticize the low wages on jobs advertise on here. We all know that agricultural jobs don't pay well but nearly all of them come with a vehicle and accommodation which are the two most expensive outlays for most of us. If you don't like the package then don't apply. If you do like them then put your application in. What we don't need is the constant moaning and groaning as it just drags us all down!

Last edited:
You can get stress from a low paid job just as much as a high paid one !
How many keepers used the game keepers welfare trust as they have been thru hell with antiquated treatment from Victorian era & treated like crap with said house with job not fit for human habitation yet the owners get away with it ?
Also if you don’t get on with your colleagues then you can have hell.
Regardless of income or status in life

Paul

Simple answer is
If ya fancy it apply
If ya get interview ask questions
If ya get offered if make ya mind up
No different to any other job application in my view.
I'm 51 have a good few wildlife management qualifications ''not just deer related'' and if the Mrs would move I'd apply as I know you don't need much to live a happy life, just enough of the right things in the right portions
Good luck to all who apply I'm very envious
Jimmy

As one of those on a low wage involved in land management, I can say that I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Yes my wages are low but I have grazing and stables for the kids ponies, chickens and quail, we live in a detached house in a private wood, I have the use of 2 four by fours, 2 tractors, kubota rtv. Sheds for rebuilding the boys tractor. The kids have a huge adventure play ground outside (woodland), we have an air rifle range and a rifle range, as much rough shooting as we fancy, oh and I’m responsible for all the deer management and predator control (ammo paid for). I don’t work 9-5 I have a way of life not a job. my hours are mine as long as the work is done sometimes I work 9-5 twice a day, and sometimes I don’t. This sort of job works as long as you treat it as a life style. And don’t value money as a priority higher than happiness.

As one of those on a low wage involved in land management, I can say that I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Yes my wages are low but I have grazing and stables for the kids ponies, chickens and quail, we live in a detached house in a private wood, I have the use of 2 four by fours, 2 tractors, kubota rtv. Sheds for rebuilding the boys tractor. The kids have a huge adventure play ground outside (woodland), we have an air rifle range and a rifle range, as much rough shooting as we fancy, oh and I’m responsible for all the deer management and predator control (ammo paid for). I don’t work 9-5 I have a way of life not a job. my hours are mine as long as the work is done sometimes I work 9-5 twice a day, and sometimes I don’t. This sort of job works as long as you treat it as a life style. And don’t value money as a priority higher than happiness.
And that my friends is why money isn't the most important thing in life. How many of us wouldn't want our children to have some of that?

got offered a similar job this yr on a small estate in the Cotswolds 18k plus house off the est fully funded not a bill bar the TV and phone BUT the house was on a housing estate should have asked that Q? right from the off so get yr Q's sorted for 1st interview !!

THE dream.... good on you :)

You have my envy. I wanted to be a Gamekeeper from leaving school but life and fate sent me a different journey. You have to me the idyllic lifestyle congratulations

As many say it's a way of life not a job. I have done many things in my life and there has been stress all the way, I worked for HM Gov't then worked up to a very highly paid occupation, buying a house along the way. I took a Keeper's job on one quarter of the money and rented out my house.
Keeper/stalker? very stressful also but in a different sort of way. Again fortunately I had a house leased out from Feb 1st each year so had no problems if I lost the job. I never did though and it was the happiest part of my life, although I did enjoy the first part with some very good mates and lots of action. Always look at the practical side of things, money is not everything, but you do need one hell of a partner who will put up with a lot as it certainly is 24/7 365.

I started my keepering on an estate in the north of the Cotswolds as a beat keeper .I replaced a keeper who got the sack for poaching his own birds I kid you not .job was a dream but no house due to the poacher squatting with wife and 3 kids .House went downhill to the point it was a sty .I had a wife and two small kids and was travelling 42 miles a day just to get there all weathers ,all seasons .It got to the point where it was obvious the estate were pulling my chain so I went to the office one morning and ended up in a full blown row with estate manager over the house supposed to be with the job .I was told that’s the way it is so had no other choice but to hand in notice .2 years travelling to a job where a house was provided lol.I now have my own building firm and plenty of free time so in a way I’m glad I never stuck at it .Been all over the world ,some thing I never of done on agricultural wages .

I think in future if we get this kind of responses they will all be removed.

Frankly any start up job in this industry is going to be low pay, but with reasonable perks, such as transport, housing and clothing. God only knows employment within the shooting and stalking industry are few and far between and any young person trying to gain a foot hold needs a helping hand, and not such negative views.

Fantastic opportunity for someone starting out. Cornbury is stunning with lots of lovely estate cottages. The deer manager Tom's reputation is very good I gather.

Submitting my application tomorrow, sounds great for me

Good luck with it. I have had these types of jobs in the past, The main benefit for me was I was getting paid to do my hobby and something I was passionate about. The other benefits(house, firewood, game to eat etc) made up in part from a relatively low wage. Sometimes I could make as much money as my wage by selling rabbits that I was being paid to kill. Like any job it depends on your employer, if you get a good one you are laughing and you could be in heaven. I once had a really bad one and it was hell(for fourteen month). It was like going back a couple of centuries. I seen him kick and punch a young lad to try and make him work harder. After I left I bumped into the guy who took over from me and asked how he was getting on. He relied "I've left. That old c**t had a knife at my throat"

Back