Ethical free-ranger saying hello from New Zealand

Hi all was put onto this site by a friend in the UK

I'm a guide from NZ below are a few pcitures (hopefully) from a hunt I recently did with my friend at the end of the season to wind down.

The animal we were after was bull tahr. Access was by helicopter then 7 days hunting on foot. We spent 4 nights camped in a rock bivvy, the remaining 2 at our tented base camp.

In all 100 tahr were seen no exceptional bulls, my friend shot the bull pictured for its nice golden cape. Was shot at 300m with .280 rem.

Had a great trip in spectacular country and good company.

Have added a picture of a chamois for good measure.

Look forward to meeting some genuine hunters here!

LewispicsJune08102.jpg

LewispicsJune08105.jpg

LewispicsJune08116.jpg

LewispicsJune08045.jpg

LewispicsJune08126.jpg

LewispicsJune08134.jpg

LewispicsJune08150.jpg

chamois1.jpg

Welcome EFR, those photo's make you want to start packing and head to the airport, the trouble is my mind keeps making promises my body can't keep :cry:

John

Would you consider changing countries for a year!
Boys own stuff and all that! :D
welcome Trapper

Thanks for the positive feedback men.

If it wasn't for a couple of forward thinking gentlemen from your neck of the woods NZ would not have Tahr, red, sika or fallow deer.

Have had a bit to do with hunters from the UK, the hunters amongst you are great people with a great sense of humour.

I have a friend who is heading to the scottish highlands next year to hunt reds. The particluar strain of reds I hunt here were originally from Dalhousie, Scotland.

John, have attached a pic to make your knees knock :)

thar2.jpg

I fell off my bloody chair just looking at it. Me and that Thar would have both got there the same way, courtesy of gravity :eek:

John

Well done EFR.

I have done a couple of Tahr hunting trips myself. That looks like a good bull, more than 12” is it 13”? I am just back from NZ we were hunting Chammy but without any luck. We were offered the chance to do a “spot and drop” with the chopper but I told the guild that was not for me, fair chase or nothing. So that means I will have to return back to NZ again. :lol:

PIC00268.jpg

This bull looks down on me as I type. :)

Best rgds

Tahr.

Hi mate welcome and kool pics matey, I was out there early this year about the time of the roar.
Fantastic place, great people, in fact so great we are intending to join the masses well 4 million or so :lol: in the next year or two 8)
We are going back early next year when we have saved up to do some sight seeing and decide where we would like to settle, and maybe fit in a little hunting ;)

Hi Guys

The Tahr are Himalayan tahr and can weight up to 350 lbs.

The first bull pictured is no monster, shot for its cape.

Thar Spot and drop hunting is illegal, no one has a concession to do this. Good on you for turning the so called guide down, its guys like him that are destroying our hunting for a quick dollar.
Just back from a 5 day chamois hunt we took 2 bucks one nice 9 and 1/2 inch.

leagleeagle feel free to call in for a brew when you come over

Ethical Freeranger
that is some introduction and a massive **** take
well done mate nice to see what the other side of the world has to offer , also a few nice trophys to boot

ethical-freeranger said:
Thar Spot and drop hunting is illegal, no one has a concession to do this. Good on you for turning the so called guide down, its guys like him that are destroying our hunting for a quick dollar.

Is it still illegal on private land?

Best rgds

Tahr

It is not legal on private land either as wild tahr on private lands are still owned by the crown. The NZPHGA has called a special meeting for October 4 to specifically deal with heli-hunting, some members sre still doing it and they need to clean their act up.

Love the mount in your office, my little twin girls have one each above their cots.

ethical-freeranger said:
It is not legal on private land either as wild tahr on private lands are still owned by the crown. The NZPHGA has called a special meeting for October 4 to specifically deal with heli-hunting, some members sre still doing it and they need to clean their act up.

I am glad about that but how are fat Yanks, Arabs or anybody else going to get there trophies? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best rgds

Tahr

By doing some training like everyone else before the hunt, or shooting behind wire. Hence the next big problem that will arise, live capture of trophy animals and dropping them in game parks.

Back