EU - Will we stay or will we go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

libensvolenspotens

In consideration of the total inactivity of the Government concerning the UK leaving the EU, I wondered how many believe that the UK will leave the EU and how many believe that the Politicians will find a way for us to remain as part of the EU and forget about the referendum.
Personally I think that the indicators are that we will remain in the EU and all that is required by "Les Politicians" is an excuse.
Time will tell what happens, just wondered what other peoples ideas were?

Morgy

There is a summer recess, all the MP's return in the next week or so and then things will start to move.

We voted to leave not remain in any way shape or form!

timbrayford

We Will Be Out Out also We Scotland will remain in the UK. :british:
Jiim
Curious thing about the SNP, they want Scotland to become an independent country yet want to remain in a European super state that aims for "ever closer union". On the face of it the two aims would appear to be incompatible.

Woodsmoke

Curious thing about the SNP, they want Scotland to become an independent country yet want to remain in a European super state that aims for "ever closer union". On the face of it the two aims would appear to be incompatible.
No argument here, either. The SNP are the worst thing to happen to Scotland since the last Tory government. And the worst thing about it? Scotland did this to itself!!! :-|

Mulac

Personally I don't understand why the snp think it is better to be part of the EU as a stand alone country when we would be a very very small fish in a very large pond against being part of a union where we have at least some leverage. Surely if the target is independence then it should also apply to the EU.

Calum

willie_gunn

It really matters not a jot what our parliament now decides - our European neighbours want us out, end of.

I can't help but smile at the naivety of those politicians (and members of the general public) who somehow think that the UK changing its mind would be greeted joyfully by the rest of the EU who would rush to welcome us with open arms, somewhat like the prodigal son returning.

Having long been viewed as reluctant and obstructive members of the EU the chances of us even being offered a seat at the table again, even if there was another referendum, are pretty much nil. If we did go cap in hand then the conditions for re-admission would be such that they would be rejected outright - loss of rebate, joining the Schengen area, agreement for further harmonisation.

In much the same way as certain members of the EU are pushing for a post-Brexit UK to be penalised pour encourager les autres, so they could not afford for a chastened UK to be seen to gain anything by voting out and then seeking to come back into the fold.

In my extensive travels in and beyond Europe for work since the referendum I find that the reaction to the Brexit vote typically falls into one of three camps:
1. Relief; that the UK has finally declared in public what has long been viewed as our intention in private
2. Fear; that "the European project" will now rush full steam ahead with no UK at the table to restrain the EU-rocrats wildest ideas for fiscal, social, defence and cultural harmonisation
3. Hope; that the EU may now reform or risk further break-up

There is some confusion, a little anger, considerable admiration, and much humour, over what has taken place.

The only nation which is still deluding itself that "Brexit may not mean Brexit" is the UK.

long_range_rob

We are out, Scotland will remain in the UK as the SNP are pragmatists and will not survive with oil at its current price and Europe would not admit another economic nett drain.

2130martin

Frying pan to fire....

Pedro

The Conservatives promised to have a referendum and came good with that. The result wasn't what many Tories wanted, but the simple fact is that if the Tories were to not follow through with leaving the EU now, any future referendums would be worthless and I think they know voters would desert them in droves, making them unelectable for the foreseeable future. They have no choice.

Of course they do things differently in Scotland....

2130martin

The Conservatives promised to have a referendum and came good with that. The result wasn't what many Tories wanted, but the simple fact is that if the Tories were to not follow through with leaving the EU now,

Of course they do things differently in Scotland....
Scotland certainly does,at least the majority of Britain voted for our our own independence!

Morgy

Scotland voted to remain in the UK and the UK voted to leave the EU, thats democracy.

The rest are bad losers who refuse to accept the democratic decision!

urx

What noone seems to be talking about is what will be left of the current EU ship by the time we jump.
if there is no EU mothership for Sturgeon to cling to then where next for the natonalist nutters

limulus

Out...I believe we'll start to see some movement in October with article 50 initiated around April next year. Article 50 will almost certainly take longer than 2 years, probably more like 3.
There will be at least a further 2 conservative governments as labour are in freefall with no current leader of any note and no heir apparent.
Queen Nicola will continue to manipulate Scotland into an increasingly embarresng position until she's ousted (which I hope is soon as she really is damaging Scotland's future)
The pound will strengthen, particularly against the euro, over the next 2 years and thereafter we'll see more euroexits as businesses realise euro policies (a la Apple) will mean an increasingly untenable taxation position.
Michael Jackson will be found in an Amazonian forest with bubbles and his family and the set of the moon landings will be unearthed in the Nevada desert........oh, and using quad sticks for stalking will become compulsory....

Status
Not open for further replies.