European Firearms Pass after BREXIT

TundB

Hello all,

Does any of you know what will happen to EFP after Brexit? Will there be any similar licence to replace it? Are we able to take our rifles in any EU countries with ease like EFP?

Thanks for the responses!

T.B.

NigelM

I asked the question of the FAO just 6 weeks ago when he came round for renewal. He had no idea. He said they did not have a solution yet and it was one of those subjects "to be negotiated". He suggested that there was likely to be a period when we couldn't take our firearms abroad but had no idea how long that would be for.

Could well put a few Autumn trips at jeopardy.

Too Deer

Yup. Bad news.....

Because we have been charging EU member states for a visitors permit to come to the UK, they have seen an opportunity to get their own back and/or dissuade us from leaving the EU. As such, the current plan is for each EU member state to charge UK citizens for a visitors pass.

So what?..... if your driving to Germany for example, you will need to apply for and pay for a certificate from France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany (depending on your route)

The final outcome may be different but as of a few weeks ago, that was the situation according to my friendly DCFEO.

TundB

That's a quite bad news then while I am trying to get into a wild boar syndicate in Bulgaria now. :-|

Hope it can be sorted out with a good outcome for us, shooters.

Bryan7

If the UK leaves the EU then it won't have access to the EFP and will be treated like any other country outside the EFP system. Currently a EFP isn't enough for EU citizens to bring a firearm into the UK.

TonyC

Presented my EFP in Lisbon in February and was issued a temporary permit, the guy next was Swiss and he only had his Swiss FAC/ Hunters licence and was issued with the same permit as me. Presume after Brexit (whenever) we will do the same with our FAC, as it was before we joined the Common Market.

kennyc

Switzerland, which is not in the EU, has the EFP! Perhaps we whould wait and see.

David.
Switzerland is holding a referendum in May on whether to adopt the EU gun legislation introduced after the terrorist attacks of the last couple of years, they are not in the EU but are in the Schengen area (something we apparently don't want to be in) and this is threatened if they don't adopt the EU laws, of course this could cause problems with the Swiss military system and would fly against their History of an armed militia, so it is a contentious subject. As I shoot in Switzerland I am waiting to see what the outcome is and how it will effect taking firearms there, or whether its better just to store them there and save on the transport if its going to become a pain.

Lateral

Presented my EFP in Lisbon in February and was issued a temporary permit, the guy next was Swiss and he only had his Swiss FAC/ Hunters licence and was issued with the same permit as me. Presume after Brexit (whenever) we will do the same with our FAC, as it was before we joined the Common Market.
Weird. I've lost count of how many times I've been to Portugal to hunt, and I was also there in February, and I've never been given a temporary permit, my friend just organises a local hunting license, and insurance for me. Maybe it's the same thing, but the police/customs don't issue them. 1 month costs about €75.00, Annual about €140.00.

Any changes if Brexit happens, won't have anything to do with UK FLO, but the EU, or individual countries.

Orion

Weird. I've lost count of how many times I've been to Portugal to hunt, and I was also there in February, and I've never been given a temporary permit, my friend just organises a local hunting license, and insurance for me. Maybe it's the same thing, but the police/customs don't issue them. 1 month costs about €75.00, Annual about €140.00.

Any changes if Brexit happens, won't have anything to do with UK FLO, but the EU, or individual countries.
Same here. I can't recollect receiving anything after declaring at the police post on arrival. They record details and get a signature on their paperwork, which takes all of 10 minutes, but nothing issued and no questions as to whether a Portuguese Hunting Licence and insurance was even in existence. In fact coming back to the UK after the February trip was the first time I've ever been asked for sight of my EFP - always just shown my UK FAC previously and they've been happy with that.

TonyC

They did ask to see my insurance.... Doh so I showed my BASC and BDS cards, ah ok, apparently the system had just been introduced as TAP were a bit confused by it on departure, quite an efficient system overall