European Firearms Permit - post BREXIT

Heym SR20

Anybody have any clue as to what might happen regards travelling to the continent with Firearms after March 2019?

Apthorpe

The correct answer must be that nobody has a clue. An American or Antipodean member (or Holts) who has taken guns to Europe would probably be able to tell you the worst case option.

bogtrotter

No one has any idea,time will tell but doubt if you will get a European firearms permit,would suspect you will be the same as anyone travelling to Europe from any country out with Europe.

bally

They will want your money as we do there's and i am sure.Hunting outfits will have already had some discussions and thoughts about this.

CharlieT

I quote from the NPCC's latest FELWG published minutes................

Europe- Brexit;

HO are after feedback in relation to EFP and WEIS.

Position amongst licensing managers is that they are happy to lose this provision, and it does not add value. GW acknowledges this, though contends it might be of value to shooters.

DO summarises that FELWG position is that it is not something we would fight for.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Don't really see any big impact.

Whether you have a European firearms pass makes little difference in the UK as we still have to apply for a client to bring a firearm into the UK and await an issue of a visitors permit, plus pay for it as the sponsor.
With American clients its the same procedure and they do not have licences, but must produce evidence that they shoot in a club or have a state hunting licence before I can apply for their visitors permit.
I assume nothing will change after we leave the EU and it will remain much the same as it is now?

Lateral

Don't really see any big impact.

Whether you have a European firearms pass makes little difference in the UK as we still have to apply for a client to bring a firearm into the UK and await an issue of a visitors permit, plus pay for it as the sponsor.
With American clients its the same procedure and they do not have licences, but must produce evidence that they shoot in a club or have a state hunting licence before I can apply for their visitors permit.
I assume nothing will change after we leave the EU and it will remain much the same as it is now?

I think it's more how Brexit will effect UK citizens wanting to shoot in Europe ?

At the moment, it's very easy. The police issue a EFP, and we go, just requiring local licences, and insurance.

The question is, will the EFP still be accepted, or will we also need to apply for special permits, before being able to go with a firearm !

Time will tell, but I'm using it as an excuse to get in as much shooting as I can, before March 2019 :D

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Well in most of the European countries I have hunted , Finland, Czech and Hungary, but particularly Finland they didn't even ask to see my permit. However each member state has its own firearms laws and it will probably remain the same as it is now. If not there are plenty of non EU citizens visiting EU countries to hunt and there seems to be no issue there.
American, Russians all hunt in the EU and there has been no problems to my knowledge. Brexit scare mongering again.

Lateral

Well in most of the European countries I have hunted , Finland, Czech and Hungary, but particularly Finland they didn't even ask to see my permit. However each member state has its own firearms laws and it will probably remain the same as it is now. If not there are plenty of non EU citizens visiting EU countries to hunt and there seems to be no issue there.
American, Russians all hunt in the EU and there has been no problems to my knowledge. Brexit scare mongering again.

Malcolm,

No scare mongering from me, I voted out, and still would, although I'd prefer to have someone with a backbone negotiating, rather than the pathetic individuals we have now !

I'm just interested to know what will happen in the future !

Like most people, I have no doubt we will continue to be able to shoot in Europe, as we do world wide. At the moment, I can literally go with a moments notice. I'm interested to know how this will change, and how much hassle it will be in the future !

EMcC

I don't remember too much hassle before some of the countries I visited joined the EU.
Just a bit longer on landing waiting for our UK FC details to be checked by the local police and a tempory travel permit being issued by them allowing travel on public roads to and from our designated hunting grounds.
The hunting licence for that country had already been sorted by the hunting agent from the details you had previously provided.