Ever had a hide stolen?

Dave Lakes

Some little bugger fox or badger has dragged a roe hide away that was drying in my covered store. Either that or someone’s dog is going to return to a very confused owner wondering how their pooch has killed and skinned a deer while off the lead.

I guess I’ll have to do the next one in the house!

Yep. Think fox thought it had more meat attached as it was ditched further down the garden. Then carried a little further the next night. And back the other way the following…..

dunwater

Had the whole deer vanish once, I gutted it, left it at the side of a track and toddled off to get the truck. 25 minutes later it was gone. All gone.
Hyaenas being scarce in these parts, chief suspects would be the squaddies on manoeuvres camped in the forest.
I hope they enjoyed it, they were more than welcome to it.

John Gryphon

Read of a bloke that shot a good stag by a forest track,left it to go and retrieve his ute and came back to a headless beast.

Stalker1962

Not quite.

On yesterday's shoot, the birds were placed at convenient locations for me to scoop up in the Jeep up at the end of the last drive.

As I approached a 'pile' (everything is relative) of four birds, I saw a large Buzzard lift from them, and soar off towards the woods.

Dave Lakes

Well it sounds like I got off lightly compared to some of these losses!

Although I have just found my hide draped over someone’s fence in the village. I’ve retrieved the stray item and will be going round to begin my investigative enquiries later!

Tim.243

Well it sounds like I got off lightly compared to some of these losses!

Although I have just found my hide draped over someone’s fence in the village. I’ve retrieved the stray item and will be going round to begin my investigative enquiries later!
My older Spaniel has had a few sandwiches off the work top over the years also anything I have put down when pigeon shooting as I get up to shoot.... :popcorn:

FISH BOY

Had the whole deer vanish once, I gutted it, left it at the side of a track and toddled off to get the truck. 25 minutes later it was gone. All gone.
Hyaenas being scarce in these parts, chief suspects would be the squaddies on manoeuvres camped in the forest.
I hope they enjoyed it, they were more than welcome to it.

Same.

Dragged a muntie doe back to the truck whole, leaving 10m into the scrub to go after the buck that was barking not far away.

Gone no longer than 20 mins and completely vanished. Searched for 50m in all directions, but no sign, like the Predator had pinched it.

Still stumped to this day as no vehicle access and a hell of stomp out of that forestry block to the main road if someone lifted it.

Karma is that it was covered in ticks :lol:

Free range rob

My older Spaniel has had a few sandwiches off the work top over the years also anything I have put down when pigeon shooting as I get up to shoot.... :popcorn:
I’ve got a lab pup, and she is a bugger for wanting to carry everything, if you drop something and don’t notice it’s gone…

Recently I dropped my papers while stalking, after back tracking for half hour and nothing, she decided to produce a wet pack of papers at my feet, only a smoker would understand 😂

Andyquadra

I’ve got a lab pup, and she is a bugger for wanting to carry everything, if you drop something and don’t notice it’s gone…

Recently I dropped my papers while stalking, after back tracking for half hour and nothing, she decided to produce a wet pack of papers at my feet, only a smoker would understand 😂
And she had my snood :lol: thought I was going mad, was going 2 days later

Bugsy

I thought it was only me that had a deer stolen from under my nose but obviously not 😁 . I shot a Roe , gralloched it , trailed it to the gate which was beside a road , left the deer out of sight so that a passing motorist wouldn’t see it , walked back to the pickup and returned to the gate hoping to pick the roe up 🤷‍♂️it wasn’t there and could see a quad tyre mark on the verge with a blood stain over the gate 😉. I had a suspicion that the next door farmer might know where it went so I went to his farm and the quad was parked in the close with fresh blood on the carrier , knocked his door and got no answer even although the radio and lights were on in the kitchen . A quick look inside his shed door and there was my Roe hanging up 😁 bucket below it and a knife on a stool 🤷‍♂️. Out came his wife arms crossed and not happy that I had shot it and telling me that I know nothing about deer management 🤷‍♂️. I just laughed at her and told her she had stolen my deer and her reply was “ take it I don’t want it” 🙄mental attitude , after explaining that I wasn’t happy with what she had done I actually told her that if she wanted a deer I would give her one 😉(a deer that is ) she said no thanks and I removed it from her shed . Unbelievable😁

Apthorpe

Foxes can be pretty cheeky. One summer night my wife lost a shoe. A fox came into the house, into our bedroom and helped itself to the shoe under the bed literally one foot from wife's face.

I didn't believe it and insisted she had lost it drunk on the way home. I had some grovelling to do when it was found in the garden all chewed up later. Turned out the fox had been doing it several times in the same street.

Free range rob

Foxes can be pretty cheeky. One summer night my wife lost a shoe. A fox came into the house, into our bedroom and helped itself to the shoe under the bed literally one foot from wife's face.

I didn't believe it and insisted she had lost it drunk on the way home. I had some grovelling to do when it was found in the garden all chewed up later. Turned out the fox had been doing it several times in the same street.
I dropped a deer out in a wheat field last winter, as I was walking across I saw a fox coming in, took no notice of me and started to chow down on my deer, by this time I was only 40 yards away and it totally ignored me, that was it’s very last mistake.