Ever seen one of these before

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I never have. This was shot a few days ago by a friend of mine, it had a broken leg and in pretty poor nick, the light was failing and he thought it was a hind, it needed taking out.

John

Glendine

Hi Jayb,

I cannot say I ever say one in the flesh but have seen similar in books etc. Thanks for uploading the photo and If possible it would be worth holding onto the skull as its not very common.

Glendine.

Si

Did he check the testicles?..., could have been as a result of the broken leg but more likely a damaged testicle.

NickJ

Very interesting JB, would be good to see the skull prepared if possible. As mentioned/you'll know leg injuries usually just deform the opposite antler but they still shed their velvet, was their any testicular damage as well? What sort of age was the beast do you know?
Thanks, Nick

Last edited:

Gandy

Certainly a strange one, would be interested to see the head a later date when its boiled off etc.

270TOMMY

hi john i will be up to see you in 3 weeks i hope i can see it or at least get to know a few more details about it, very unusual and very interesting atb

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
It did have damaged testicles, and was about four years old if I remember correctly. The head mount may not be up to much as it was headshot.

John

NickJ

Thanks John, the testicular damage the most likely cause then - a la roe perruques I guess, the question is then why are perruques much more common in roe than other species I wonder?
Nick

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Thanks John, the testicular damage the most likely cause then - a la roe perruques I guess, the question is then why are perruques much more common in roe than other species I wonder?
Nick

I expect the larger deer can clear the fences easier, less likely to foul the undercarriage :eek:

John

NickJ

You are probably right John and I was thinking that but then the only perruque I have seen (in the flesh) (a roebuck) had a leg injury like yours, no doubt caused in an RTA.

I expect the larger deer can clear the fences easier, less likely to foul the undercarriage :eek:

John