Evolutionary Changes

morena

Hi Stalkers,
Have you seen Telegraph page 6 photo of the Roe Deer in Richmond Park. All I can see is bloody Fallow. You can see how Big BO gets away with his crap on TV.
morena

Beowulf

This is a similar thread to the one I posted about BASC magazine putting a picture of a Roe Doe in an article and calling it a Red hind. Its amazing how stupid the media is. If they can't get this right then there is no chance that important news will be accurate! :eek:

The Mole

There was a pic in Sporting Rifle - I think it was back in January this year - of a fallow that I'd have sworn was a sika. Now if they can't get it right .......

Beowulf

Shooting Times 13th December, page 59 'Five facts about: Horse Chestnuts'.
Fact six the picture in the article is of a chestnut (edible) not a Horse Chestnut (poisonous). Duh! :eek:

I'm glad it wasn't an article on edible mushrooms! :eek: :rolleyes:

wadashot

Account Suspended
I used to watch countryfile religiously but can`t stand the bloody programme now. A bit too namby pamby and politically correct for my liking.

Anyway they have on there a video diary which people send in and one day someone had done some filming of deer in a woodland. This guy was sat in a hide and said words to the effect, "Oh, and there is a roe deer", when in fact it was a fallow doe.

It never ceases to amaze and annoy me the lack of knowledge of "SO CALLED" professional people on the Tele.

Didn`t that big fat oaf Bill Oddie once say that roe deer were protected when they were filming them in that Glasgow cemetery.

P.S. Kate humbles nice though. :D

wadashot.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Try explaining some of this stuff to school teachers. Telling some teachers about deer management and big game management in Africa and they go pale at the word hunting and switch off.

Over the last 34 years, I have heard it all in both my jobs. But I still smile at some of the kids we have had from London, that believe MILK is made in a factory. Unfortunatly the greater populace listen and believe everything they hear and see on the idiot box (as a friend of mine once called the TV). Bill Oddity knows as much about wildlife and the british countryside as I know about Rocket Engineering.

Mind you its suprising how much support the lady on Autumn watch ( cant remember her name, lovely piece ot totty, has from the members of this forum!!!!!!!!!) Wadashot must be in rut me thinks. :lol: :lol:

wadashot

Account Suspended
I`m always in rut malc.

You can`t help but fancy her though can you? :lol:

KATE HUMBLE PHOOOOAAAARRRR

I have an 8 year old daughter and ever since she has been going to school i have made sure that when for e.g she has been shooting with me or when i have come back with deer she has wrote about it in her books at school. I know the teachers don`t like it when she mentions that she went stalking with me, but i want her to feel proud about learning countryside things and not be part of the PC brigade.
She can now teach them a thing or two.

Same ere, MERRY CHRISTMAS MALC, AND EVERYONE ELSE.

HAVE A GOODAN. :D

wadashot

swampy

Account Suspended
pc brigade

I live in the country, my son used to go to a village school of 40 kids. One day at dinner time he was playing hunting in the playground. One of the dinner ladies then over heard him talking about shooting whilst he was having his dinner. She made him stand on his chair in front of the rest of the school and told him "guns are evil, shouldn't be allowed and shooting is sick" most of the kids in the school come from farming backgrounds, most of thier dads shoot and quite a lot of thier mums. Does that make them all evil? I wrote a letter to the head and the chair of governors about it and got an appology which means it won't happen again. (i am the the chair of governors now so it definatey won't!) When we hear about this at schools etc we should kick up about it.

steve

Andy L

I am exactly the same with my children. They go to a primary school that is very religified (as I call it). I have no problem with that, each to their own, but what I have a problem with is the narrow minded attitude to shooting generally. A teacher asked my wife whether my son lies alot because of the stories to do with shooting that he comes out with. I am pleased to say that my wife put her right and let her know that the stories where just about what he gets up to at the weekend.
One thing that is amazing is that it is not just townies that do it. I have a shepard that I know whos children have not worked out where meat comes from. They don't call is lamb or beef, they just call it meat. Unforgivable in my book!! My kids see it from bullet to dinner table and that is how I think it should be.
Have any of you found that if you are invited to someones house for a dinner party, you are sat next to the only vegitarian!!

paul k

The first question I ask anyone that starts to question stalking and shooting is whether they are a vegetarian. If they are not then I quickly move the conversation on to discuss how they think their Sunday joint gets to the table and just how much better a life and death that a deer, pheasant or duck that I shoot has and that I love deer just as much as any farmer loves his stock.

If they are a vegetarian then I respect their views and expect them to respect mine. There is no point trying to convert a committed moral vegetarian as it's an argument that you are never going to win. I've always said that if deer were ugly we'd have far fewer problems with objecters.

wadashot

Account Suspended
When i talk to people or start a conversation off about deerstalking, which i go out of my way to do, their first reaction is,
"BUT IT`S ILLEGAL TO SHOOT DEER AS THEY BELONG TO THE QUEEN" :lol:
or
"YOU DON`T SEE ANY DEER AROUND" :eek:
or
"THERE ISN`T ANY", "IS THERE"?. :rolleyes:
And then i have to explain the laws and shooting them etc, it can be really surprising how people start to react especially when they find out that a bit of venison could be in the offing.

A little bit of education goes a long way.

ANDY L WROTE

Have any of you found that if you are invited to someones house for a dinner party, you are sat next to the only vegitarian!!

I have a very good lady friend in the borders who is a good deerstalker "AND" is a vegetarian. :eek: She has shot lots of deer and foxes and hasn`t got a problem with it. Her reasons for being a veggie are purely out of not knowing what additives are put into your everyday meats and this distance that cattle, sheep etc have to got to slaughter.

WADSAHOT [/quote]

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
My wife has a friend who is a Vegan. During a conversation some weeks ago she told me that Vegans do know harm to the environment and Soya products gave them all the nutrition they needed :rolleyes:

I then pointed out to her that the rate of deforestation of the Brazilian amazon rainforest was now mostly due to the demand of two major products. Palm Oil and Soya, and that Veganism is a word that did not exist when I was a child. The only Vegans I had heard of where on Startrek ( oops sorry Vulcans)

I also pointed out that mankind had always relied on meat for protein, and that people such as the Inuit Eskimo and Bushmen of the Khalahari desert, do not depend on Nut Cutlets and Lettuce Sandwiches. And that is why Stone tools where used 500,000 years ago to butcher animals, not grow Soya and Lettuces ;)

Still I shall think of her on Christmas Day (very briefly) sucking the nuts!!! :eek: out of her teeth with her boyfriend while I am tucking into roast haunch of Sika, Pheasant and Turkey. Followed by some hearty Christmas pudd with real cream.

PROPER FOOD :D

Beowulf

I quote:-
If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
Even as the roebuck and the hart is eaten, so thou shalt eat them: the unclean and the clean shall eat of them alike.
Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
Thou shalt not eat it; thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water.

The fifth book of Moses (Deuteronomy chapter 12).

See its okay to hunt deer God says so! :D Tell the anti's that!

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Mr B,

I have always maintained that the outdoors, in the woods and places that I spend my time hunting, is my Church and place of faith. It would appear that according to Moses and the good book, it's official.

With people who spout off about hunting being cruel I adopt Paul K's approach. I like to ask them how they think the meat got onto supermarket shelves, point out the travel involved, describe the process at the abbatoir, ask them how they think the cow or sheep or whatever feels about that. Then I point out that what I take and eat was living free and wild and then just died from being shot, no travel, no stress, then I ask what method they think is the best. I have to admit though that when the real zealots still tell me that I am cruel, after we have discussed the methods of slaughter, I have been known to tell them that they are the cruel ones, to impose such stress on animals and not only that if they cannot see they are cruel they must be as thick as grease, or a suitable similar substance if they really annoy me.

But now I can quote the Bible and do not have to argue with anyone. I think I will save the Bible quoting for the reasonable folks, must allow myself some fun :evil: :evil:

John

buckup

For what we are about to receive............................

A group of dinner guests looked a bit dubious when I announced we were going to be eating venison.
I said the following grace, although I would not profess to be a religious man.

"For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankfull. This animal never saw a boundry which it could not pass by or cross. It was never fed, but ate the very best it could find. It has provided us with a meat, the quality of which cannot be surpassed. Most importantly for me, it never knew it's end was comming. The end when it came was instantaneous, and painless. It is fair to say it never heard the shot fired, as the bullet arrived first. I know all of this is true, because I was there."

The meal was enjoyed by everyone, some of the guests now ask me for venison for their own homes!

paul k

Beowulf said:
I quote:-
If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
Even as the roebuck and the hart is eaten, so thou shalt eat them: the unclean and the clean shall eat of them alike.
Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
Thou shalt not eat it; thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water.

The fifth book of Moses (Deuteronomy chapter 12).

See its okay to hunt deer God says so! :D Tell the anti's that!
Not doubting the reference but isn't it interesting that the "roebuck and the hart" should be familiar to the presumably Middle Eastern writers of the script of the Bible when the phrasing and terminology would be far more familiar to the British or European ear.

paul k

JAYB said:
Mr B,

I have always maintained that the outdoors, in the woods and places that I spend my time hunting, is my Church and place of faith. It would appear that according to Moses and the good book, it's official.

With people who spout off about hunting being cruel I adopt Paul K's approach. I like to ask them how they think the meat got onto supermarket shelves, point out the travel involved, describe the process at the abbatoir, ask them how they think the cow or sheep or whatever feels about that. Then I point out that what I take and eat was living free and wild and then just died from being shot, no travel, no stress, then I ask what method they think is the best. I have to admit though that when the real zealots still tell me that I am cruel, after we have discussed the methods of slaughter, I have been known to tell them that they are the cruel ones, to impose such stress on animals and not only that if they cannot see they are cruel they must be as thick as grease, or a suitable similar substance if they really annoy me.

But now I can quote the Bible and do not have to argue with anyone. I think I will save the Bible quoting for the reasonable folks, must allow myself some fun :evil: :evil:

John
Quite right and you also have to think about the definition of cruelty which to me in this context is the unecessary infliction of pain, torment or discomfort on an animal. There is absolutely no cruelty in shooting a deer (provided that it is a one shot kill), whereas even putting aside anthropromorphic suggestions that animals can think, reason or experience mental distress, the herding of animals into a lorry and then paasing through the process of even the best managed abbatoir has got to involve some stress and therefore more cruelty.

Beowulf

Hi Paul K,
Yeah I was suprised when i saw Roebuck and checked it out. For some reason it depends on what part of the world you are from. In an African 'online' Bible I once saw it said Antelope rather than Roebuck. I suppose the translator just decided to make the 'Big Man's' message understood by all his flock. I'd imagine it would have been hard work telling a load of 'Earth Mother loving' Ancient Britains about Christanity and going on about foreign deer species.

'And God said to Moses, part take of the flesh of Moose and of the Gnu'!

'Ooo he's making it up, burn him, burn the witch'! :lol:

Hi JayB,
I'll be up to hear one of your outdoor sermons. I hope you don't start singing like Harry Secombe on Songs of Praise! :eek:

Hi Buckup,
I'm really impressed with your saying of grace'. You really moved me with the sentiment of it. Brilliant!