Ex-vegetarian, now a gamekeeper and deerstalker

Limpet

Good little article, thanks for sharing.

I was a vegetarian for a couple of years but only because the only meat available locally was infected and after endless bouts of stomach upsets and way too much time on the toilet I went vegetarian and never looked back health wise. I returned to the UK and couldn't wait for the obligatory bacon butty then some good steaks! I cannot say I felt better or worse on a vegetarian diet..;,,,,,, just craved some meat.

banus

wonder who does the lifting and carrying for her.i have no red thankfully but do have fallow and i struggle to drag some of those buggers ;)

No doubt she uses a pony to carry it off the hill. To get it on the pony she no doubt uses initiative. The mother of all invention! A brilliant article, letshope for more youngsters following in her footsteps.
RS

mikeakc

I suggest we all give some positive feedback to the BBC for a great article. At least let them know that a significant proportion of the country is supportive of fieldsports and a field to table lifestyle. Here's a link to the article in question just for clarity
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46235155

This way we may see the biggest public opinion swayers in the business giving us a bit more positive press. Here's the feedback link -

Can't find what you're looking for? We'll try to help. - BBC FAQs

The second line down is 'send feedback' - click on that and get praising! I've just done the same.

Cheers,
Mike

mikeakc

For the record I just sent them this via the link above:

"Great to read a positive BBC article on fieldsports. It's very easy (and arguably lazy) to paint a negative portrait of anybody who kills an animal but our interaction with the countryside does often include the taking of an animal's life, whether for pest control or to source food. The BBC host some influential characters who regularly condemn fieldsports regardless of context so it's heartening to see an article showing that good, passionate people also take part in such activities. Thanks."

I was limited on characters so had to keep it brief.

merlin

For the record I just sent them this via the link above:

"Great to read a positive BBC article on fieldsports. It's very easy (and arguably lazy) to paint a negative portrait of anybody who kills an animal but our interaction with the countryside does often include the taking of an animal's life, whether for pest control or to source food. The BBC host some influential characters who regularly condemn fieldsports regardless of context so it's heartening to see an article showing that good, passionate people also take part in such activities. Thanks."

I was limited on characters so had to keep it brief.
Excellently worded.

gonzo

The lads running my DSC1 mentioned that on the previous course, they had a woman who was veggie.
She had decided that meat was necessary in her diet, but was against the whole industrial farming/meat industry. And that taking her own meat and being in charge of how the animals were treated, sat better with her conscience.