exotic meats.

riddick

This evening I had Kangaroo sausages in some decent bread rolls as it was too hot for the traditional roast dinner,
they were very tasty, I have had a variety of meats from my supplier that were equally as tasty. who else has sampled other than the normal beasts, so far I have tried buffalo,ostrich, kangaroo, wild boar, of course all the uk deer species, I look forward to sampling zebra, llama, and crocodile.

levigsp

I have tried most SA plains game. Buffalo, European and American Bison, Tur, Ibex, Chamois, Snow sheep, Mouflon. Most British things inc Hedgehog, Badger, fox, crow, sparrow thrush etc. I will try anything that moves once with 3 exceptions, Rats, Dogs, Humans.

The hunting Finn

I have tried most SA plains game. Buffalo, European and American Bison, Tur, Ibex, Chamois, Snow sheep, Mouflon. Most British things inc Hedgehog, Badger, fox, crow, sparrow thrush etc. I will try anything that moves once with 3 exceptions, Rats, Dogs, Humans.
Hedgehog sounds quite exotic to mee. :)

I have tried brown bear, grey seal and beaver. Also tried whale once.

McKenzie

Certainly had kangaroo & ostrich from Tesco. I remember the kangaroo steaks being good pan fried with a cream, wholegrain mustard & ginger wine sauce.

riddick

RIDDICK to some on here whose private pension plans were all but destroyed by Gordon Brown beef is now an exotic meat!
some of the chemically laden, induced growth beef I see on supermarket shelves, you'd be better off nailing it on your boots.
I wonder what politician tastes like?? :oops:

enfieldspares

Aside from beef I've eaten squirrel which is delicious and the big large African snails from when I had a "squeeze" in Paris who was from Cote d'Ivoire. I didn't eat snails in Nigeria nor bushmeat as the vendors wanted too much and, in truth, bushmeat does carry health risks. In fact even my wife's family doesn't eat it nowadays. I had crocodile maybe thirty years ago in London or Paris I forget which. But how do you actually know if it is or isn't? I do know for example that if Japanese tourists ask for escargots in many bistros in France and they've none they take a strip of fried beef so that it curls and serve it escargot style in a shell with the garlic butter and all are happy.

riddick

Aside from beef I've eaten squirrel which is delicious and the big large African snails from when I had a "squeeze" in Paris who was from Cote d'Ivoire. I didn't eat snails in Nigeria nor bushmeat as the vendors wanted too much and, in truth, bushmeat does carry health risks. In fact even my wife's family doesn't eat it nowadays. I had crocodile maybe thirty years ago in London or Paris I forget which. But how do you actually know if it is or isn't? I do know for example that if Japanese tourists ask for escargots in many bistros in France and they've none they take a strip of fried beef so that it curls and serve it escargot style in a shell with the garlic butter and all are happy.

yes squirrel is often on the menu at our house, lots of recipes in old "Hunting" magazines from the usa, cant say I've tried snails but they sound tasty, I like shellfish generally, mussels,cockles, whelks etc, I have to say gordon brown doesn't seem have taken all your pension,,, what with visits to nigeria,paris,london, and a "squeeze" from Cote d'Ivoire. you certainly are well travelled if not well heeled.;)

Redneck

Try eland steaks, brilliant on the bbq or shredded steenbok with chilli.
Got to totally agree with Eland steak, just home from a trip and the resident chef a lovely lady called Eleanor supplied a wonderful array of game meat dishes all week with the star being Eland marinated by her good self and done on the barbeque by the PH.

SDC7x57

Went to a churrascaria in Belem, Brazil donkeys years ago. As the guys came round, most of the meat on the skewers was 'guessable'. But, one skewer looked a lot like chicken, but wasn't as white. Our language skills were not too swift in the early days and it took a while to get the answer (from the owner, who spoke a little English...) - it was anaconda! Crispy fried piranha is good too!
Fruit bat in Malaysia is OK, and squirrel in the good old USA is also fine.....
Have to agree with Redneck and TH4, though....eland takes some beating. The one I thought I wouldn't manage were 'fatjes' (hope the spelling's correct - I'm sure the SA boys will correct me if it's wrong) - they were pieces of kudu liver, wrapped in white body fat and dropped on the BBQ - they get pretty crunchy and look like burnt offerings. But, against all odds, they tasted absolutely wonderful..... Heart attack on a plate. :lol:

Orion

I’ve had gaur steak and very good it was - we all have to do our bit to keep these vulnerable species on the red list, don’t we?

(It was a surplus cull young bull in Copenhagen Zoo, and why should the big cats get all the prime steak?). ;)