Extending LOP

HappyHunter

Have a Howa Alpine that I love. Only real niggle is the LOP is pretty short. Have sorted with a slip on butt pad but am not really keen on this. Particularly as it is an additional recoil pad to what's already on the rifle (1" limbsaver). Any ideas on a more permanent fix? Not sure what's possible in terms of modifying the stock.

finnbear270

Have a Howa Alpine that I love. Only real niggle is the LOP is pretty short. Have sorted with a slip on butt pad but am not really keen on this. Particularly as it is an additional recoil pad to what's already on the rifle (1" limbsaver). Any ideas on a more permanent fix? Not sure what's possible in terms of modifying the stock.
Aftermarket swap out.

DVS1

Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks do extendable butt plates/pads and they also offer delrin spacers that can be ground to fit. If you call them you can specify the length etc id be inclined to go either 1/4" or 1/2" spacers unless you want the flexibility and when using rear nv add on the extendable butt plate is a great tool

HappyHunter

Aftermarket swap out.
I love the durability and weight of the stock. Weight being the main reason I purchased the rifle. The additional butt pad is OK but was never intended to be on there as long as it has.

Don't want to throw cash at it but seeing as I intend to keep it and they're now discontinued I'd like a better remedy.

Not sure if the adjustable types can be retrofitted and for what cost.

HH

HappyHunter

Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks do extendable butt plates/pads and they also offer delrin spacers that can be ground to fit. If you call them you can specify the length etc id be inclined to go either 1/4" or 1/2" spacers unless you want the flexibility and when using rear nv add on the extendable butt plate is a great tool
Will have a look at them. Thanks.

HH

lochty

I think there's one, trademark pachyderm, (someone on here will correct me) that's an adjustable recoil pad. That might suit.

HappyHunter

Stock being sent to them tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

HH

HappyHunter

Just a quick update... Modified stock received back from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks yesterday. Just in time to reassemble and check zero this morning. Very happy with the work done. Feels a lot more comfortable and consistent than the slip on pad. Additional weight has benefitted what was a very light rifle too.

Attachments

dodgyknees

Good job, pleased to see the outcome. You had exactly the same problem I did with my Howa Alpine, or “Mountain Rifle” as it was branded here. The LOP was an inch too short, and the rifle was too light for me. I swapped it with a mate who fitted the rifle better. There’s a point at which a rifle can definitely be too light, for me that’s sub 7.5lb scoped.

HappyHunter

Good job, pleased to see the outcome. You had exactly the same problem I did with my Howa Alpine, or “Mountain Rifle” as it was branded here. The LOP was an inch too short, and the rifle was too light for me. I swapped it with a mate who fitted the rifle better. There’s a point at which a rifle can definitely be too light, for me that’s sub 7.5lb scoped.
Yes, definitely agree there. It's heavier but still couldn't be classed as heavy and ultimately I've started with something light and ended up with something very reasonable (scope, mod and bipod included) that fits very well. Only a few rounds to check zero yesterday but it felt a much different beast. More reassuring to hold and much better fit without all the slack of the slip on.

I'd never actually weighed the rig till now, crudely on the bathroom scales but all in only registering 8.6lbs!

I'd managed ok with it previously and achieve moa if I really do my bit. Usually about 1.5 moa at 100yds prone and mod (minute of deer) off sticks but always felt it / I could be better.

I have another mod currently on hold for it too thats got a 100 grams on the Hausken that's on there which may change things slightly too.

Always loved the gun (can't believe they stopped making them) and am looking forward to see what some range time brings.