Eye opener.

white van man

I used this 6mm steel plate hanging on a chain to stick targets on whilst zeroing my 7mm WSM.
not surprisingly the bullets passed straight through.
What did surprise me was the two holes on the extreme left were .223.

Tim.243

I have a 10mm fox target with holes through it from 95gn .243 rounds @ 200 yards, it lays on the boiler out side and when shooting lads come around they all looks and say ###k me what and how far was that.

Paul O of this site came up against my lump of 30mm hardox 400 with his .280....tears B4 bed time lol

Tim.243

Druid

I used this 6mm steel plate hanging on a chain to stick targets on whilst zeroing my 7mm WSM.
not surprisingly the bullets passed straight through.
What did surprise me was the two holes on the extreme left were .223.
what sort of range was that at?

Biathlonjimmy

I have a few AR600 steel gongs which the .308 can't do anything to bar remove the paint. .22-250 craters it even at 200. .300WSM punched straight through at 100 and I've lost 2 x 2" gongs that disappeared when hit.... If anything it's an excellent reminder of the power unleashed when pulling the trigger.

ileso

the most important thing for penetration of a steel plate of any thickness is speed. speed penetrates steel not bullet weight.
plenty of videos online of 270win soft points penetration military grade steel armour...