FAC address change

Woodsmoke

Daft question time. I recently changed address, and notified the FLD via email as required. I've invited them to inspect my new security arrangements whenever suits them, but haven't heard anything back, save for the email acknowledgement. Can anyone tell me what the usual form is for my area these days? (Forfar) In also wondering if I should send my tickets in for amendment, or wait until I have a visit to check security and hand them over then? :-|

Jezholmes

I move around quite often (military), and to be honest response time varies by area (weeks to months). You have an acknowledgement email - in these circumstances I ensure that the security is as per the region (should be the same but I check their website) and wait for contact.

Woodsmoke

Yes, that's kind of what I though thanks. Cabinet and ammo safe are sorted out, so I'm not worrying about it, particularly. I just wondered what others experiences were in my area :thumb:

sauer

I was four months from moving & confirmation email before they arranged to check security .... he then took certs on the visit away with them .

Again Dundee

Paul

Woodsmoke

I was four months from moving & confirmation email
They're not in any hurry then, by the look of it. I've got their confirmation email, so the ball's in their court. I'll just bide my time and wait for them to get in touch then. Cheers for that! :thumb:

EMcC

I move around quite often (military), and to be honest response time varies by area (weeks to months). You have an acknowledgement email - in these circumstances I ensure that the security is as per the region (should be the same but I check their website) and wait for contact.
When I moved around, also military, mainly out of the country, I kept my UK address and popped in to the local Bobby when on leave just to keep him up to date.
Once or twice he gave me 'Things' to dispose of off the back of the boat when rounding the top going into Hamburg, 'things' that had turned up when people have died or wanted to get rid of.

kes

Just goes to show that we can't be that dangerous a bunch really.
Here in the south of The Principality, 2 weeks and they called after agreeing a date/time.
Spot on for me, I am just a bit peeved that my lot have now jumped on the Medicals bandwagon.

Pedro

If you've told them, then that's your duty fulfilled. Let them take their sweet time if they want. I suspect the time they take will depend on workload more than anything. As for the medical bandwagon thing, sadly, that's coming to us all.

Mickeydredd

When I moved address within the same area last year (Derbyshire), having only recently renewed they said they didn't need my certs to change the address on it nor did they need to view my security arrangements as it was assumed that I knew what was required having recently been visited at my previous premises.

TURNBOLT

When I moved address within the same area last year (Derbyshire), having only recently renewed they said they didn't need my certs to change the address on it nor did they need to view my security arrangements as it was assumed that I knew what was required having recently been visited at my previous premises.
I changed address In Derbyshire notified Firearms department by phone .Had a variation on my Firearms Certificate
which now shows the new address but my Shotgun Certificate shows the old one. Because I was not changing Postcode areas no visit was required.

Whitebeard

As per the instrUctions on your FAC you are only obliged to inform your issuing licensing department of any permanent change of address and thats all, they will then inform your new area, YOU DONT NEED TO. also if you recieve a visit from your new area FEO and he asks to take your FAC for an address change, YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS EITHER, your FAC is your property and is valid nationally untill its date of expirey, regardless of how long it has to run.

Ian.

Woodsmoke

That's interesting Ian, thanks for that (@Whitebeard) I've heard nothing since the automated email response, and a follow-up phone call to check resulted in my call to a Dundee number somehow being routed to an Inverness office :cuckoo: Well-oiled machine, hey?

Frank Homes

Whitebeard,

I am just curious as to why you would not surrender your certificate so that it can be amended with your correct address? Just seems a bit unreasonable to me.

F

sauer

As per the instrUctions on your FAC you are only obliged to inform your issuing licensing department of any permanent change of address and thats all, they will then inform your new area, YOU DONT NEED TO. also if you recieve a visit from your new area FEO and he asks to take your FAC for an address change, YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS EITHER, your FAC is your property and is valid nationally untill its date of expirey, regardless of how long it has to run.

Ian.
Hey bud don’t shout !!

And why wouldn’t you so that your certificate shows the correct information in address ?

Paul

8x57

Distinguished Member
If your firearms department is up to speed they will do the same as the sensible ones and post you the amended certificate and ask you to post back the certificate that now has the wrong address on it. The force that I come under does that for most renewals and variations also.

Whitebeard

Whitebeard,

I am just curious as to why you would not surrender your certificate so that it can be amended with your correct address? Just seems a bit unreasonable to me.

F
Very simple, because you dont need, and why should you, the new area will know your new address because your old area told them,

VSS

Very simple, because you dont need, and why should you, the new area will know your new address because your old area told them,
Bit of a pain if you're stopped somewhere, travelling with firearms, and, having given your name and address, you pull out your FAC to prove it....

Whitebeard

Bit of a pain if you're stopped somewhere, travelling with firearms, and, having given your name and address, you pull out your FAC to prove it....
Not at all they will already know your current address and your old address before they stop you, if they look at your FAC and see it has your old address then ask why it does not have your new address as long as you have informed your previous licensing office there is absolutely no issue, it will only become an issue if the police make it one.

Ian.

Frank Homes

Just as i thought, completely bloody-minded, and as VSS has pointed out it could cause you problems in the event that you are stopped by a police officer.

F