(FAC Air) Is this really a mod'?

LeftHandGuy

Right, I have an FAC air rifle - Webley Patriot .22 to be precise. When I told my local RFD (Chris Potter of Tunbridge Wells) that I would like to apply for an FAC and purchase it they advised me that it had a mod' fitted, so I needed to apply for .22 air rifle and .22 moderator. Which I did, and was after a five month or so wait, granted. So far so good.

Have a look at the pictures though:

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0005.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

DSCI0012.jpg

DSCI0020.jpg

DSCI0017.jpg

At the present time this unbaffled, and as far as I can tell, ineffective mod appears on my FAC as "Unknown Moderator" with "Unknown" serial number. However, at least one parts supplier lists it as a barrel end weight and appear to be happy to sell one by mail order.

So, is it a moderator or not? Does the fact that it is entered onto my FAC as one make it one even if it has no moderating effect? Surely it's nothing much than about 2" of aluminium tube with a thread at one end? Seems to make bugger all difference to either the noise the or the grouping - surely this can't really be a section 1 firearm whatever my FAC says?

If I were to replace it with another one, would I have to get that added to my FAC? Grateful for any views or opinions before I raise the subject with my friendly local FEO....
Cheers,
Guy

Presumably the RFD had taken it onto their books from a previous owner as having a moderator fitted and felt obliged to hand the same charade on to you.

Personally, I'd be inclined to contact my FEO supplying an explanation accompanied by some (consistently well-focussed) photos, with the offer of a face-to-face meeting if he prefers, with the aim of getting him to identify the cocking-aid/muzzle-weight for what it is - i.e. not a sound moderator- and having the moderator slot on your ticket re-opened so that you can buy... a moderator.

Aside from the fact that you would presumably prefer to have a working moderator, if you come to sell it on, I think you have a real prospect of a potential buyer refusing to enter that threaded metal tube of yours on their FAC as a moderator, leaving you stuck with it, or at least with a fair bit of paperwork to do.

hi looks like one i have on a theoben , main use is to assist when cocking the gun, without baffles it will obviously offer little or no modderation, however you can now purchase a proper one! a quick call keeping your feo in ther loop is wise
​ best of luck

Or buy another unknown make of moderator for your sub 12f/lb air gun and accidentally mix them up one dark morning.....

Why not just apply for a 1 for 1 variation?

You avoid the possible conflicting opinion as to whether this piece of pipe is a moderator or not.

The RFD who sells you the mod you actually want can book the pipe in as a mod and then scrap it.

​Or put it back on his shelf as a cocking aid, or give it back to you - as a cocking aid.

Or buy another unknown make of moderator for your sub 12f/lb air gun ...

That would be my suggestion.
You don't own a mod for your air rifle at the moment just a muzzle weight so buy a mod to fit the non fac version that you own - may well have to be rifle specific because it looks to need an external thread (male).
When you sell it would be a rifle, muzzle weight and unknown mod as a package

Acquiring a freely purchasable airgun moderator suitable for your Patriot and subsequently identifying it -if required to do so- as the moderator specified on your FAC is no doubt the most practical solution, but I doubt whether it would legal, or wise to suggest on an open forum if it isn't.

Acquiring a freely purchasable airgun moderator suitable for your Patriot and subsequently identifying it -if required to do so- as the moderator specified on your FAC is no doubt the most practical solution, but I doubt whether it would legal, or wise to suggest on an open forum if it isn't.

Quite!

Thanks all - I suppose a lot comes down to weather it's actually worth moderating a spring piston air rifle....

I certainly have a better idea about how I may proceed from here.

Guy

Quite!

Thanks all - I suppose a lot comes down to weather it's actually worth moderating a spring piston air rifle....

I certainly have a better idea about how I may proceed from here.

Guy

If the advice here doesn't sit well, perhaps the best thing is to go back to Chris Potter and explain your misgivings

looks clear to me

1) buy a non FAC air rifle mod (and mix them up one dark morning!)
illegal? most likely yes!
but as neither mod will have a serial number only you will know which "FAC Uknown Moderator" with "Unknown" serial number is which. As one will no longer be a "moderator" and just be a piece of blued pipe it is extremely unlikely to ever be an issue

2) apply for a one for one variation, no need to scrap as it is not a mod. take it in with the Webley spares page below:
the barrel weight is freely advertised and available.
you may even get a sensible FEO who lets you do the above 1) instead!!
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/25010/Patriot-Pre-2006/

I don't see why you should be out of pocket buying anything or applying for a 1 for 1 to sort this out.
Surely the RFD has made a mistake and sold you a cocking aid as a moderator. Easy enough to do as they look identical, its only when you dismantle it that it becomes obvious.
Why complicate things.

If the advice here doesn't sit well, perhaps the best thing is to go back to Chris Potter and explain your misgivings

No no - the advice here is greatly appreciated.

Also Chris Potter are an excellent shop - for whom I would guess air rifles are a fairly small part of their business, and FAC air rifles a pretty tiny part of that small part - they've always been friendly and attentive, and they gave me a really good deal when I bought the rifle (essentially they swapped it for a cheap sub 12 ft/lb air rifle that I had).

As I have another, sub 12 ft/lb break-barrel .22 air rifle, I might well experiment with a mod' for that, and if it seems as though it makes a worthwhile difference, then maybe I'll see about changing some things around. I shall of course stay entirely within the bounds of the law. Obviously!

Thanks again,
Guy

Back