Fac renewal

simon1979

Hi All

I have been told by the firearms licensing team have told me that my fac renewal won't be completed before my licence expires next week and that I need to lodge my guns with an rfd.

Do I need to take all my ammo and moderates to?

Liveonce

did you miss the application date deadline?

Ammo and sound mods are not a lot of use without the guns, however you will be in unlawful possession of them.

potshotpat

I would suggest that at least police have your paperwork. It reads that you were in contact with your doctors surgery in good time. I would contact your firearms department and request a section 7, you would at least have an ongoing example that your doing as much as you can to get everything sorted. Good luck in the lottery, that is the firearms licensing system. ( it's all bollocks really)

mealiejimmy

My understanding is that the police will accept a GP report that is not more than 6 months old as valid for an FAC/SGC renewal.
I strongly suggest that, rather than waiting for the police to send out renewal paperwork, anyone with a renewal within 6 months, downloads the now standard GP report form and gets it to their GP ASAP so that any delays don't compromise the renewal.

Cheers

Bruce

potshotpat

There's 43 police forces in the United Kingdom that are working on one straight forward countrywide legislation regarding firearms law. That's being interpreted 43 different ways. As I've said once or twice before ( it's all bollocks really)

Klenchblaize

Did the Op not receive mutiple auto-generated Royal Mail delivered letters from his HO Licensing Department, setting out the need to submit a renewal X months in advance of FAC expiry, and with emphasis on such being conditional on receipt of a completed medical pro-forma?

Surely this is standard practice throughout the “43” UK Police Forces?

I received a total of three such letters. Two of which came after I’d submitted my compliant on-line renewal and when in receipt of an allied letter confirming there would be a delay in issuing my new certificate and acknowledging receipt of my application!

K

simon1979

Did the Op not receive mutiple auto-generated Royal Mail delivered letters from his HO Licensing Department, setting out the need to submit a renewal X months in advance of FAC expiry, and with emphasis on such being conditional on receipt of a completed medical pro-forma?

Surely this is standard practice throughout the “43” UK Police Forces?

I received a total of three such letters. Two of which came after I’d submitted my compliant on-line renewal and when in receipt of an allied letter confirming there would be a delay in issuing my new certificate and acknowledging receipt of my application!

K
Yep received letters and but firearms team would not except renewal without a completed gp form.

Requested gp form from gp a week after I had my first letter

simon1979

My understanding is that the police will accept a GP report that is not more than 6 months old as valid for an FAC/SGC renewal.
I strongly suggest that, rather than waiting for the police to send out renewal paperwork, anyone with a renewal within 6 months, downloads the now standard GP report form and gets it to their GP ASAP so that any delays don't compromise the renewal.

Cheers

Bruce
Yep would agree, wish I'd known that

potshotpat

Hi Klenchblaize with all due respect ( and I mean this) why do the people with their firearms certificates , that their circumstances haven't changed since last renewal need to go through the mill again. ( my quote it's all bollocks really

Liveonce

Hi Klenchblaize with all due respect ( and I mean this) why do the people with their firearms certificates , that their circumstances haven't changed since last renewal need to go through the mill again. ( my quote it's all bollocks really

indeed is that not the point of the marker on your medical records that any relevant conditions that affect your firearms licences get reported by the GP to the police during the life of the licence.

indeed big bollocks to a process that is not working.

edit to add the only winners in this are the GPs who engage in the process, a process to make money.

Andy - Fish

Cheers

Bruce
Hi Bruce - Police Scotland informed me on my renewal that a GP report is valid for 3 years ( I had to get a GP report 12 months ago for a transfer into the Glasgow catchment area ) but they did say that can be over ruled by a Chief Inspector !

Liveonce

My gp took 3 months which didn't help as they won't accept the renewal without it

if nothing else given you will now have to pay storage fees through no fault of your own i would make an appointment to speak to your MP to demonstrate to them how the process is failing and ask the MP to bring the matter to the attention of the home secretary and minster in charge of the GP contracts.

Liveonce

Hi Bruce - Police Scotland informed me on my renewal that a GP report is valid for 3 years ( I had to get a GP report 12 months ago for a transfer into the Glasgow catchment area ) but they did say that can be over ruled by a Chief Inspector !

six months in Kent, 3 years did you get that in writing?

Liveonce

as has been said 43 police services and 43 different ways of interpreting the firearms laws or statutory guidance.

Klenchblaize

Clearly I don’t believe they should but it’s “all change” now given the heightened emphasis on medical checks and the FEO’s allied need to be very comfortable that the person he/she is licensing is no less sound of mind than when they last sat down with them for a chat and cup of visitors ☕️.

I honestly believe those on the frontline of licensing accept, or at least understand, that the hitherto fixation with calibre conditioning and restrictions on ammo quantities etc. is very much a secondary consideration to that of meaningfully determining the state of mind of the applicant and the social circles they conduct their life within.

Just my view though as I have no privileged inside info in this matter.

K