FAC Variation

TonyC

I have recently taken up reloading for my two calibres - .243 and 25-06, I have on my FAC a purchase limit of 80 rounds and a posession limit of 100 rounds for each.

When I recently purchased my first supplies of bullets I hit a problem as the supplier said that I could only have 80 out of a 100 box (Thames Valley Police restrictions and yes I know.....) - we worked round it but I need to change the limits, I have also now realised that the 100 limit for posession is a bit unrealistic.

My problem is how many can I confidently ask for on my variation application, (I understand that the law is grey in this area but at the moment the supplier has the whip hand) - I have heard that some re-loaders have no limits at all !

Assistance please from any one who has experienced this.

Tonyc

I have recently taken up reloading for my two calibres - .243 and 25-06, I have on my FAC a purchase limit of 80 rounds and a posession limit of 100 rounds for each.

That's a measly amount! Ask for more on the grounds that you can easily go through 100 when load testing zeroing, and buying 80 is not feasible.

243 - I asked for 500 and 600 and got 200 and 260. Fine for me, but if I get into target shooting more heavily I'll ask for more.

223 - 200 + 300

357 - 500 + 600

22 - 500+600

Many have much bigger limits than that.

There should be NO restrictions as to quantities as long as you can justify them in respect of your shooting.

When the new restrictions were implemented I had a huge amount of bullets in stock and there was no problem with adding them to my FAC as a total under the conditions. I.e. I was allowed to hold 80,000 missiles (assorted calibres) on a reducing basis. Every time my FAC went into Police HQ I sent a stock list and the total was reduced accordingly.

I have now just encompassed the remaining amount into my allocation of ammo per calibre and have no problems in requesting 3000 x 30cal. I buy 3-500 at a time for consistency of at least 3 different bullet weights hence the required (seemingly) large amount. It is similar for the 22 and 25 as I have various rifles in these cals each requiring different loads.

Oddball cals that are used infrequently I restrict to one load and usually ask for 300/500 so allowing block purchases but nominal usage.

Talk to your Firearms Dept but only after considering what you are sure you can justify.

Hi all,

Let's get this right, are you all saying that bullets are being entered onto your certificates, (bullets not loaded rounds). I have never had bullets put on my ticket even though i asked for them to do it a couple of times.
My FLO asked me once why there was no Ammo on my ticket and when i told him i reloaded he was fine with that, has the law changed?
I was sure that only loaded rounds counted against your allowance.
If not how do bullet collectors manage? Match bullets can be sent mail order so how does that work?

when i bought my first centrefire they made a typo on my ticket that allows me to have 1200 rounds of 223 and it's never been changed despite 3 renewals. I would think posses 600 purchase 500 would be resonable in any calibre if you have to put bullets on ticket as they are not allways easy to get hold of.

Ezzy

FAC

Hi

Sorry if my original post confused - the suppliers are not adding bullets to my FAC but are using the number of rounds I can purchase as the guide as to how many bullets only I can buy - this is apparently an instruction from Thames Valley Police. The supplier was in their area.

I have submitted for a change in my FAC (the North Yorks police told me it was not a variation therefore no charge - just write a letter justifying what I want (400 buy/ 600 posses) I will post the result.

Tonyc

300wsm said:
As with everything to do with FAC's the entering of 'bullets' or heads onto an FAC depends on with police forces area you are in!

Yes agreed, but whether entered or not they still count against your allocation if expanding.

Speaking to my FLO the other day he re-assures me that i can buy as many tips as i want. The condition on your cert is for loaded up rounds only. Tips are not restricted by your FAC, or so he tells me.

Ads

FAC

UPDATE !!!!!

Just received my FAC with the 400/600 purchase / possession levels for both calibres I requested.

I am amazed at the fast turnaround - I posted last Thursday and received response today (Tuesday) - well done North Yorks Police.

Tonyc :D

auquhollie ,
you can buy as many "tips" (P G ?) as you like, but exspanding bullets or missiles as the Home Office refer to them count towards the number that you can possess. You have been misinformed by someone who should know better.
Having such a low number as 80 which TonyC previously was allowed is silly as it will not allow you to purchase a whole box. North Yorks police have done the correct thing in ammending the certificate and quickly too.

8x57 said:
auquhollie ,
you can buy as many "tips" (P G ?) as you like, but exspanding bullets or missiles as the Home Office refer to them count towards the number that you can possess. You have been misinformed by someone who should know better.
Having such a low number as 80 which TonyC previously was allowed is silly as it will not allow you to purchase a whole box. North Yorks police have done the correct thing in ammending the certificate and quickly too.

That is correct as per my ticket. My ticket has the heading:

2. Ammunition including expanding ammunition and expanding missiles.

'Missiles' being the operative bit. As it is named Firearms Form 102, I assume it is a countrywide standrd thing, including the headings? as there is a box for the issuing force's stamp.

In:

Table 2 - Ammunition

It only refers to ammunition, and not missiles.

So my heads are retsricted by the number I can possess, but do not need to be entered on my ticket.

Some forces did at one time insist on entering expanding "missiles" (bullets) on certificates but they have now been corrected. Most now require that dealers only make an entry in their register of the transfer, no need to make an entry on your certificate. Though I believe that some do not even record this.

Inspite of their awaydays where FEO's get together to ensure consistent application of the firearms acts,certain forces will still insist that their interpretation is correct and persist in doing their own thing.

Its maybe not such a bad idea to have them put on anyway as a way of prooving use.

For a buy 500 job I assume teh purchaser must be weighing and sorting by ogieve length so as to get a batch of bullets as similar as possable. I reload 65gr VMaxs, weights vary between 64.6.gr and 65.4gr. Match bullets are closer in variation. In fairness for most people at 150 yards that wont make a lot of difference.

A

There are several gun shops that dont enter them onto you ticket. One i use does and enters them into his register as well.

My FLO asked me to keep a register myself of how many tips i buy and how many loaded rounds i have at any one time. I told him there is no point as i ask my RFD to enter all tips onto my ticket for that same reason.

Should say also that my FLO has changed out in the past year and he takes the same veiws as the last.

Ads

Back