Fac

Grand Slam

I currently own a .22lr and a .270 but i am now looking at getting a slightly smaller Cal aswell. Obviously when i send in my paperwork i put down what firearms i possess at the time. Do i also need to mention these in Box 19 or is it that the fact i already own these rifles i dont need to ask for them?Not sure if that made sense but any help would be great.adam

Adam you list the firearms and ammunition you already possess in boxes 17 and 18. Only those that you wish to possess should be listed in box 19.

Adam you list the firearms and ammunition you already possess in boxes 17 and 18. Only those that you wish to possess should be listed in box 19.
Cheers mate, i thought that was what i had to do but thought i would clarify. Is that going to be a £26 fee also?

Adam if you are going to increase the number of firearms there is a charge as stag1933 has already mentioned so you might as well add a couple of firearms at the same time. Don't forget that moderators count as firearms. Just a suggestion but as you have been having a problem with your .22 rifle it might be an idea to add another .22 rifle to your ticket.

Makes sense. No point in wasting money if 6 months down the line you'll be wanting something else and have to pay again. You don't have to get what you ask for straight away and if you change your mind, then no harm done, it can be knocked off at the next renewal.

As someone above said, put in for a couple of things now for the one fee of £26, if you did put in for a second .22lr then 6 months down the line thought, oh how silly I will not need the spare .22lr then you can swap that for something you do need in 6 months, free of charge!!!

Cheers for all the advice guys.

All paperwork ready to go. Asking for another .22lr and a .223 plus increasing my ammo allowance.

Cheers again

Adam

Adam
You have had some excellent advice from other posters here.
The only point I would add is secure storage. If you only have a 3 gun cabinet and possess two rifles, but then seek permission to add two more, this means you won't have secure storage for the 4th rifle and this should raise a 'red flag' for your constabulary. This assumes their systems are working!
This is why i always advise new shooters to get the biggest cabinets that they can, given space and £££s.
HTH

Adam
You have had some excellent advice from other posters here.
The only point I would add is secure storage. If you only have a 3 gun cabinet and possess two rifles, but then seek permission to add two more, this means you won't have secure storage for the 4th rifle and this should raise a 'red flag' for your constabulary. This assumes their systems are working!
This is why i always advise new shooters to get the biggest cabinets that they can, given space and £££s.
HTH

Luckily enough when i decided that Stalking was for me a member from here (MS) sold me a fantastic 16 gun cabinet so i think i am ok for room. (Well for now anyway)

I put two rifles down on my FAC application recently, which was my first ever application. I applied for a 22-250 and also a 25-06, with the thinking that the smaller would be fine for Roe and the bigger rifle would be an option if I went after anything bigger (given I'm new to stalking, i don't have exact plans as to what I may like to shoot, other than roe)

The Firearms Officer who visited said that I couldn't do this and I had to take one off, so the 22-50 was removed.

As someone above said, put in for a couple of things now for the one fee of £26, if you did put in for a second .22lr then 6 months down the line thought, oh how silly I will not need the spare .22lr then you can swap that for something you do need in 6 months, free of charge!!!

I put two rifles down on my FAC application recently, which was my first ever application. I applied for a 22-250 and also a 25-06, with the thinking that the smaller would be fine for Roe and the bigger rifle would be an option if I went after anything bigger (given I'm new to stalking, i don't have exact plans as to what I may like to shoot, other than roe)

The Firearms Officer who visited said that I couldn't do this and I had to take one off, so the 22-50 was removed.
Not sure if they are allowed to do that - other members will confirm this - or not
​Confusing isn't it!

If you were using them for target shooting then they could not reject based on calibre. For quarry I'm not sure. Did they give a reason as you are 'allowed' to apply for whatever you like!

Ref the OP adding a second .22. (here in Essex at least) you'd have to have a reason for needing the second one (ie. different action, one with different scope for different conditions, one for target one for vermin, that sort of thing)

Just had a variation done 222 mod added, asked for conditions lifted on my 9.3x62 and more ammo. Took it in on Tuesday last week at 16.30 and had a phone call at 09.00 on Thursday morning to tell me it was done and I could pick it up.

Hats off to all at Norfolk FAC licencing.

Mark

Reading this with interest and obviously differing standards exist throughout the country.
If I had a 15/16 gun cabinet and had 20 guns in it, the door shut, locked and fixed to the wall in an approved manner, how does that make the cabinet insecure? It may flag up on a system somewhere that I have exceeded the capacities but I defy anybody to tell me its not secure.
I also think caution needs to be exercised in applying for weapons which are not being purchased. 'On the ticket just in case I need them in the future' means you have not satisfied 'good reason' and the application could be refused. It is my understanding that if you cannot satisfy 'good reason' previously granted variations of the certificate could be removed, despite having paid for it in the past. 'I have a slot on my ticket' as far as I am aware was the old argument but it will only be relevant if you have a 'good reason'.
Thats how I see it.

Reading this with interest and obviously differing standards exist throughout the country.
If I had a 15/16 gun cabinet and had 20 guns in it, the door shut, locked and fixed to the wall in an approved manner, how does that make the cabinet insecure? It may flag up on a system somewhere that I have exceeded the capacities but I defy anybody to tell me its not secure...

It wouldn't make your cabinet insecure. I bought a cheap cabinet from ebay, it was advertised as a 2 gun or 1 scoped rifle cabinet. Kent FEO looked at it, and said "I'm putting you down for storage for four... as long as you can lock it, that's all I'm concerned about"

Cheers,
Guy

Cheers for all the advice lads. Variation put on hold until my deployment to Kenya finishs in november. Then I might be posted so might just wait till I move and then do whole lot at same time. Would be a move from suffolk(excellent service) to Essex (we shall see)

Adam

Back