Factory .243 ammunition

jon15

What do people recommend? I want one bullet for all, it will primarily be a deer round for all British deer, muntjac to red hinds with the very very odd red stag, I will shoot the odd fox but only when out stalking. It will run through a 23" barrel, I tend to neck shoot most of my deer but do want a bullet that is capable of body shooting should the need arise, will be shooting nothing over 200yrds. Any recommendations advise appreciated.

Grandhubert

Yup, them or any of the 100 grain offerings from companies like Sako, Norma, Federal, etc.

It's hard to find a badly performing bullet in factory ammo from the usual suspects, find what shoots accurately in your rifle and go from there.

TOMMO.B

HI jON 15. I found the 100g federal to be very good. but when supply's were non existent last year, i moved to winchester 100g super x and have had no faults with them.
its realy up to you your rifle and your wallet.
ATB Tommy

MarkT

Hi Jon 15,
If you shoot large deer North of the border and only want 1 bullet weight to cover all , then you've got to use a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains . Limits your choice a little. Just thought I'd mention it.
Happy hunting. ;)

willyroe

Norma 100g soft points have never failed me. Previously used federal but found inconsistancies so changed.

Norma's are spenny though, especially if you chose to sling half a dozen down onto a target - it hurts!

Highlandsjohn

Norma 100g soft points have never failed me. Previously used federal but found inconsistancies so changed.

Norma's are spenny though, especially if you chose to sling half a dozen down onto a target - it hurts!
Great bullet..Just think of all that lovely once fired brass Willie. Must be worth 50p each to the homeloaders.:thumb:

Jdt

What do people recommend? I want one bullet for all, it will primarily be a deer round for all British deer, muntjac to red hinds with the very very odd red stag, I will shoot the odd fox but only when out stalking. It will run through a 23" barrel, I tend to neck shoot most of my deer but do want a bullet that is capable of body shooting should the need arise, will be shooting nothing over 200yrds. Any recommendations advise appreciated.
i use Sako 90gr gameheads in my .243 fantastically accurate and handle anything I put in front of them

highland stalker

I didn't get on very well with the 105 Gr gecos. I found 100 gr RWS soft points to be very accurate. I also used the federal 100 gr soft points for a while. They were good but not as good as the RWS. Seemed to be a bit messier on the carcass.