Fake grass

Gm81

Any body using fake grass with dogs at home?
Just wondering if it works?
Will the dogs use it like normal grass?
Will it stink like hell in summer?
Any other points to think about?

Cheers Gaz

Thought it was a great idea at the time to get fake grass, I've got a bull mastif which tore the garden up all the time, so decided on fake grass.
All comes with drainage holes etc, (thinking it'll be good enough etc) we've had it down about 2 years and where he's pee'd all around, the smell kicks up something fierce when the sun beats down on it, we've tried just about everything on the grass to get rid of the smell but to no avail (wee crystallize's/sticks on the plastic) Unless someone has the solution for the smell, in my honest opinion I would definitely stick to the real stuff.

Regards
Barry

Thought it was a great idea at the time to get fake grass, I've got a bull mastif which tore the garden up all the time, so decided on fake grass.
All comes with drainage holes etc, (thinking it'll be good enough etc) we've had it down about 2 years and where he's pee'd all around, the smell kicks up something fierce when the sun beats down on it, we've tried just about everything on the grass to get rid of the smell but to no avail (wee crystallize's/sticks on the plastic) Unless someone has the solution for the smell, in my honest opinion I would definitely stick to the real stuff.

Regards
Barry
We defo don’t want that kind of smell. We have 3 dogs. It would smell terrible!
Thanks for the reply. Probably best to feed the lawn more.

Mate of mine sailed around the world a few years back and took his dog with him. He had a sq yard of astroturf on the stern which he trained his dog to use before he left. Business done he would just tip it over the stern, trail it behind the boat for 10 minutes and haul it back in clean. Genius!

I have 2 GWPs and a mini dachshund and yes in the warmer weather it can smell a bit but I power wash it weekly concentrating on they’re favourite pee spots and it comes up perfect, much better alternative to yellow patchy grass for sure.

Mate of mine sailed around the world a few years back and took his dog with him. He had a sq yard of astroturf on the stern which he trained his dog to use before he left. Business done he would just tip it over the stern, trail it behind the boat for 10 minutes and haul it back in clean. Genius!

Brilliant. But it's a bit much if you have to take the yacht around the world every time the dog wants a dump.

Brilliant. But it's a bit much if you have to take the yacht around the world every time the dog wants a dump.
Agreed, sounds like a lot of bother.
Actually, I was thinking that when I take my yacht around the world I'll leave the dog at home. He'd be safer there.

(Here, I would love to post a photo of my yacht, but currently it's all in pieces underneath tarpaulin and a clump of brambles, awaiting a total rebuild. The stuff that pipe-dreams are made of!)

Back