Fallow Buck Season

Can anyone tell me why the Fallow Buck Season is almost an inversion of the Red Stag Season given that they both rut in roughly the same time of the year? Had no luck researching on the internet.

nun_hunter

Do they cast their antlers at the same time? Fallow buck season closes while they cast and grow their antlers. Pretty sure this is to do with not wanting to shoot a potential trophy animal that isn't showing his trophies yet!

Alantoo

Can anyone tell me why the Fallow Buck Season is almost an inversion of the Red Stag Season given that they both rut in roughly the same time of the year? Had no luck researching on the internet.
It is only that way in Scotland. On my DSC1 we were told it was to suit the legislators in Westminster who wished to stalk for their trophies during the Summer Recess of Parliament...how apocryphal a tale that is I know not.

Alan

jimmy milnes

It is only that way in Scotland. On my DSC1 we were told it was to suit the legislators in Westminster who wished to stalk for their trophies during the Summer Recess of Parliament...how apocryphal a tale that is I know not.

Alan
That's exactly what I was told when I asked the question too

VSS

Alan
That sounds about on par with the story that 243 was set as the minimum deer calibre for all UK species simply because it's the calibre of the Queen's favourite rifle.

Last edited:
Males of both species are August 1st to April 30th in England, Wales and NI, so no inversion there!
Sorry, I should have said in Scotland.........but I didn't know that rest of the UK was so different which makes it even more of a conundrum!! Every day is a school day!

Do they cast their antlers at the same time? Fallow buck season closes while they cast and grow their antlers. Pretty sure this is to do with not wanting to shoot a potential trophy animal that isn't showing his trophies yet!
Thanks for your thoughts. Since posting this I have learned that the rest of the UK is completely different i.e. Fallow buck season runs in tandem with Reds which might rule out your suggestion?