Fallow buck.

stalker.308

He's nice, sure he would have grown bigger, equally I am sure he will have passed on his genes before now. Not knowing the ground, what the standard of heads are like there and what has been left, and most importantly what the landowners wishes are with regards to deer, its hard to comment on it.

IrishStalker

He's nice, sure he would have grown bigger, equally I am sure he will have passed on his genes before now. Not knowing the ground, what the standard of heads are like there and what has been left, and most importantly what the landowners wishes are with regards to deer, its hard to comment on it.
Let just say I've seen better quality of heads around this area and they are fantastic heads. This particular land owner wants them reduced...

IrishStalker

a friend of mine was after a big buck for awhile so i knew where there was a few knocking about and we waited out side the edge of a forestry line on a rutting stand waited there half an hour and this lad popped out so i gave the go ahead and he shot down he went on the spot. after inspection there was clear indications he was rutting because he had a marks on him so i'd imagine he was rutting with another big buck i've seen in this area.

Dexter

Lots of variables as others have said. Even if it was the best buck in the area it would need taking out after 2 or 3 years to get a change of genes. If it appeared on some of my ground I would leave it. On other ground I would have to shoot it. Deer stalking is rarely black and white.

sako751sg

Only he knows the reason for shooting,be it just because he wanted to or for management purposes.

Too many whingers sitting behind a keyboard who im pretty sure do very little actual trigger pulling but they have read a book on the subject matter so are an expert.

stalkerboydy

Well done to yourself and friend. As others have said only you know the ground and Deer.
On the places i stalk I'd personally shot it without giving it a thought do to high quality of Bucks . I personally don't shoot any Bucks on there Stands instead catch prickets/ bucks coming and going to the action/stand :thumb:

johngryphon

The geneticists out there are simply ****ing jealous...and from my experience such people have nothing on their own walls or in their fridge.

Ultimately the shooter makes the decision.

I too have knocked plenty that "could have been a good stag" in their younger years and that`s how it is.

Bill Bartlett

This post is causing a lot of controversary on the irish deer stalking group. This buck was shot in ireland. People are arguing that it should have being left till after the rut so his genetics would have being passed on. He appeared to be rutting heavily with another buck. What are yer opinions.
What's all the fuss about - nice beast but pretty poor head in my opinion?

.243 t3

Would of shot him , as some said it’s a ok head and fish tailed so good one to clear out in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrishStalker

He still over the moon I got him his big buck. I said the same thing to be fair I would rather see a better buck pass on his genetics to his off spring.