Fallow deer snared

daw

Saw this young fallow buck this evening sitting in a stubble field. He was alert and saw me before I saw him. I got my bins up, looked at him and he was away. Unfortunately for him he stopped 130m from me and turned side on and had a good look at me. Heart/lung shot connected and he ran another 40m and dropped down dead.
When I examined him I found a snare around one of his front legs. He had managed to break the wire near to where the snare had been secured. The wire had cut down into the bone. No sign of infection and it looked recent to me probably about a day old.
View attachment 33034 View attachment 33035

Monkey Spanker

Great Cull! I expect that would have ended badly otherwise with minimum of a lost leg and possible prolonged death from infection? Looks like a locking Fox snare? Nasty!
MS

jackfish

Well done, nice beast to cull with that snare around his leg, surely saved him from a lot of suffering!

daw

My wife said 'Poor thing first it gets caught in a snare then you shoot it'. She does make a good point!

Roebuck

Humane end for an unfortunate beast!Obviously not enough care taken in setting that snare,and if locking illegal also!

User00001

daw, well done. Would you mind if I saved those pictures for use in lectures etc please? Best wishes, Glyn.

countrryboy

Well done.

Hard to see from the photo but looks pretty old wire the snares made off, most fox snares have had stops on for a long time now, even the plder illegal locking 1's generally had a stop. In scotland they have changed the law and now stop is at a 9" (270mm) min from end so a pretty big gap now (dunno if similar law/guidlines in eng?) so snares are designed to hold rather than kill