Fallow Rut

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I was stalking this weekend in West Sussex for Fallow and Roe, having just succesfully gained permission to join up with a fellow stalker who has asked me to join forces with him to take on the cull on a 2,250acre estate. I was well chuffed as this backs on to my own area of 210 acres of Roe Stalking I have. Happy Days :D

I took a very fat, fallow buck with a very poor head on Saturday morning and thought the evening before I heard a Buck grunt, but was unsure. Anyone else noticed the rut as being on in their area.

basil

Distinguished Member
sleepyshrek said:
A few grunts heard last Saturday on the far west of West Sussex.
I heard a few grunts yesterday morning, then realised Mrs basil was still sleeping. :lol:
basil.

thomas

Heard a buck on Saturday morning whilst I was in High seat in the Cotswolds, also reports of a few marking out in same area.

On my home patch (in Herefordshire) of about 300 acres and which only seems to hold bucks they seem have drifted off to find the does as no fresh signs about for the last week or so.

243varmint

thomas said:
Heard a buck on Saturday morning whilst I was in High seat in the Cotswolds, also reports of a few marking out in same area.

On my home patch (in Herefordshire) of about 300 acres and which only seems to hold bucks they seem have drifted off to find the does as no fresh signs about for the last week or so.
where in Herefordshire are you, I'm in the north of the county
Jonathon

deer-fox

Very Quite on Dinmore Herefordshire, but I don't expect much until about the 10th October and then it needs agood hard frost for it to kick-in

geoshot

Heard some Fallow grunting and a couple of Sika whistling in the New Forest last weekend, but they sounded half-hearted. Maybe they'll start for real soon.
G

stone

not heard anything as yet on my piece ground or from a local enclosed herd
that i pass every day, to and from work, shall keep you posted
stone

lwcdart

New Forest

Guys they are groanging & scrapping like hell down here in the New Forest Already, we have now taken anything larger that prickets off the menu on the estate as the Bucks are pretty high already, we had asmall 50kg larder weight sorrel taken on sat 4th & he was almost too high to use to be honest so we are now leaving them to get on with their business so to speak.

Roll on the Doe Season I Say

Lee

Robin

Hi Malcolm,
Out last night,didn't hear a thing so tried calling and lo and behold out came a nice beast ready to take on the world,half a dozen hinds with him came right up to the seat.Leave him till later in the year.
Bye the way I'm sure I heard two Sika talking to one another further up the valley,not on my ground though,still will keep you informed.
Hope everything goes okay for you and your guests in Scotland and that the lad off the site gets his beast.
Keep up the good work.

Robin

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Thank you Robin. As you know I am away very very soon, and will catch up with you on my return and we can then sort out a few days stalking with wach other.

Hope all is well with you, cheers ;)

paul k

I took the pup for a walk in some fallow inhabited woods near Denbigh today and there were two or three bucks on the go. This was midday on a bright sunny day and it was hard to imagine a nicer place to be with the beautiful Autumn colours and a couple of bucks giving it the wellie.

I managed to get within about 30 metres of one of them, it was my puppy's first experience with a rutting buck and she was getting decidedly nervous as we got closer.

apollo

They were having a go today around mid day in south hereford whilst i was removing an engine on the farm.....

puntgunner

It's all very strange this year.

We had the second of our fallow rut walks at Ashridge this past weekend.

Before the guests, arrived I had a scout around and could hear the clashing antlers of a couple of bucks in combat. Very promising.

But as soon as we got under way , the only deer we saw were uncovered does with young - and a couple of loose groups with bucks still tolerating each other.

We have had a couple of frosts by now, so am perplexed as to when the rut will kick off.