Fallow Skin Rug?

woodmaster

I looked at tanning some of my own hides, which we (wife and I) have done. Never done a "summer" fallow hide and only had them from winter does. I found that the air was too coarse and brittle to make a rug. The hairs would break up fairly quickly if walked on regularly.
We have just done a summer roe which is far finer and may stand upto some wear, but in general I think hides are better as wall hangings or other more ornamental objects.

woodmaster

interesting martin, I wonder if the age of the animal makes a difference? Might see if I can cure another one, this time picking a younger animal.

karlbird

Out of interest how much do they charge to cure one please, and how long does it take? A friend suggested I get my own done, this depends on shooting something worthwhile and not ruining the skin but I'd much prefer my own done. I shot a lovely white fallow with Sikamalc but it had to be dragged and was in a right state!

2130martin

Out of interest how much do they charge to cure one please, and how long does it take? A friend suggested I get my own done, this depends on shooting something worthwhile and not ruining the skin but I'd much prefer my own done. I shot a lovely white fallow with Sikamalc but it had to be dragged and was in a right state!
Hmmm,£40ish and 12 weeks??

If you're on Facebook check out CC Tanning. They will tan any hide and also do skull prep and bleaching too. Not sure of the cost of a fallow hide but when I asked about getting a fox skin sorted they said about £30

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
If you're on Facebook check out CC Tanning. They will tan any hide and also do skull prep and bleaching too. Not sure of the cost of a fallow hide but when I asked about getting a fox skin sorted they said about £30
No disrespect to these people but from what I have seen it is not tanning as such, to my knowledge.

woodmaster

Woodmasters wify here, I am in the process of tanning a Roe hide using K Tan kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy supplies, To do the skins yourself is not hard, I have done a few now in various different ways from just using Potash Alum, to a bucket tan and now the K tan. Deer skins are a little easier than sheep skins, fox skins are quite hardy when it comes to fleshing and do take a lot of pulling to soften, rabbit skins are very delicate to flesh and easily tear. It is a lengthy but enjoyable process.

karlbird

Thanks for the info guys and girls.

Interesting, I'll have a look in to all of the recommendations.

I would still be keen to hear if anyone has bought one of the ones off eBay or similar please.

karlbird

Thanks very much - I have emailed wildlife products UK about getting a white one, I'll come back to you if they can't find me one.

Paul 600

Ive done it with K Tan and also with diesel and bicarb. Both work fine diesel is much cheaper and DOES NOT leave the hide smelling of diesel!

karlbird

Sorted now thank you, Maarten at Wildlife Products UK found me a white one in his stock, exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

Karl

FGYT

Due to the structure of deer hair its not as durable as some in a rug . Best in low traffic areas preferably. no shoes. I have a fallow skin in the bedroom was £40 but that's usually what it costs to get it tanned properly . There are courses usually in the bushcraft world on home tanning .