Fallow stalking advice and experience welcome.

Kernow_Stalker

Hi all,

Off fallow stalking tomorrow morning on some ground that I have. Been up there many times with no success only the occasional sighting of one that I've already spooked lol Any top tips on how to stalk fallow? Stay static for long periods or should I be working the ground? got a fair amount of woodland that I can stalk through also but its pretty noisy, is it worth going through?

Cheers

KS

baguio

Check the wind on the met office site before you even leave home. Stalk really slowly if you want any chance at all. Otherwise get some high seats!

Mungo

Move EXTREMELY slowly. If it takes less than 2 hours to cover 500 metres, you're going too fast.

Cover your face and hands.

As soon as you see one, stop moving. There is always one closer to you that you haven't seen. Take the time to really search your surroundings before moving - and then move as slowly as you can.

Get a puff bottle and check the wind often.

And if you possibly can, find out where they come out of the woods, then get there early and lie up waiting for them. They're MUCH easier to shoot in the open.

Last edited:

Bandit Country

As soon as you see one, stop moving. There is always one closer to you that you haven't seen. Take the time to really search your surroundings before moving - and then move as slowly as you can.
+1. Top tip on woodland fallow stalking. See one and there will be four or five more that you haven't.

Cris

Remember you only have one set of eyes looking forward. Fallow herd and have many sets of eyes, noses and ears covering every direction....slow down or find a good vantage point to scan a wide area and stay put.

Taff

Move EXTREMELY slowly. If it takes less than 2 hours to cover 500 metres, you're going too fast.

actually stalking fallow I have found the opposite if you find fresh slot marks move fast on them , though I agree the most important thing is face covering and wind are the most important.

Kernow_Stalker

interesting to know about the covering of the face, not something I've had to do for roe or red before. Are fallow really that skittish? I've not got anything that i can lay my hands on before tomorrow for covering my face, i do have a beard though if that makes any odds? haha

Ill be sure to move slowly and try staying stationary for longer periods and maybe move quicker like taff says if needed.

Thanks for the advice everyone, ill let you know how i get on.

riflerob

As others have said, speed is your enemy.

On a trip in April, we stalked down the side of a wood. Took us an hour to cover about 200 metres.
Walk a little, look a lot.
Also , look with your eyes, not with your head.

EDIT : I wouldn't be hugely worried about face veil. It's more about slow deliberate movements than perfect concealment.

baguio

interesting to know about the covering of the face, not something I've had to do for roe or red before. Are fallow really that skittish? I've not got anything that i can lay my hands on before tomorrow for covering my face, i do have a beard though if that makes any odds? haha

Ill be sure to move slowly and try staying stationary for longer periods and maybe move quicker like taff says if needed.

Thanks for the advice everyone, ill let you know how i get on.
They're sharper than a **** house rat Kernow. Even the invisible man would have his work cut out foot stalking them! Arguably the hardest deer to foot stalk!

SussexFallow

Definitely agree if trying to stalk them in woodland. Face and hands covered and wind in your face surprising how close you can get. Stalking in your socks works wonders !!

I have had a lot of success as set out below on red's when they are bedded down during the day, much better if it's windy though.
Just a thought, are you sure you have a good number of Fallow on your ground?

Me tonight, roe buck came out, nope i want a red, roe doe and kid came out, nope i want a red, red hind came out, nope i want stag....damn it, turned my back and saw a lovely fallow buck with a doe....skylined!
Sod it, that's stalking, but i did get within 10 yards of the roe and shot a little video.

Cheers

Richard

Cover your face and hands.

Get a puff bottle and check the wind often.

And if you possibly can, find out where they come out of the woods, then get there early and lie up waiting for them. They're MUCH easier to shoot in the open.

A little dodge that has worked for me on occasions. You spook them they run,get on sticks,if still in sight shout and be ready for a quick shot.
I know it sounds against all probability, but many times they will stop and look back.

Siggy

If you focus your binoculars beyond the first screen of trees and you'll be surprised how this filters out the first screen of trees and allow you to pick up on one earlier. Keep you ears open, you may hear them moving towards you - they are surprisingly noisy. If there is a browse line, remember that Fallow are only about a metre tall, so they may see you legs moving, while your head while your head is above the browse line.

I went stalking with a very experienced stalker once and he picked up on a herd of fallow long before i did, they were over 75 metres away through thick coppice, so part of it is just practise, practice. - Eventually your eyes will tune in to what they need to pick up and it will become instinctive. One day you will find yourself stopping dead still, staring at a piece of cover, not knowing why, and then eventually you will pick up a ear flick or a nice fat pricket will step out on to the ride.

tacklerat

Not far from where I live in Australia we are getting heaps of Fallow. If you can get into position just before daylight just inside some timbered country, they will often be out in the open feeding just on day break. We get some out on cropping country getting fat on the farmers best efforts to cultivate. Stalking quietly is tough here due to all the dry gum leaves on the ground, it's like walking on Corn Flakes. However Fallow Deer are very plentiful in Australia now especially after a lot of deer farms went bust and they just let the deer go into the bush. I have to say though I've never seen such a wary creature.

I've got this to work with roe, but never with fallow!
Quite the converse for me, it's never worked for me with Roe. Sometimes they have stopped at the edge of cover to look back but never to a shout. When I was shooting Fallow professionally it probably worked 40 - 50% of the time on reflection. Perhaps it works differently in areas where they have a fair bit of human contact. It worked last night,but "Sods Law" they were all does in the group.

Mungo

Quite the converse for me, it's never worked for me with Roe. Sometimes they have stopped at the edge of cover to look back but never to a shout. When I was shooting Fallow professionally it probably worked 40 - 50% of the time on reflection. Perhaps it works differently in areas where they have a fair bit of human contact. It worked last night,but "Sods Law" they were all does in the group.
I must be doing it wrong. Do you just shout 'hey' or something? Or bark? I find barking at roe works quite well.