Far too much money taken....

Apthorpe

This year, UK Government spending will be over £1 trillion pounds (£1,000,000,000,000). That's something like £30,000 per worker, over £20,000 per tax payer, and £15,000 per person (including children). Yet almost all the recipients of this mountain of cash continue to insist that they are severely underfunded.
How much is "enough"? Why do the rights of the public sector worker trump those of the citizen?
Discuss.

Crowstalker

There is a serious amount of money being spent and wasted things like HS2, the benifits system etc. The government really need to take a hard look at what is really necessary and properly fund those things.

Apthorpe

There is a serious amount of money being spent and wasted things like HS2, the benifits system etc. The government really need to take a hard look at what is really necessary and properly fund those things.
Yup, but also loads squandered in every other aspect of public sector action.

Got a letter from daughter's school about school lunches and allergies. She has a nut allergy. I told the school, and they're demanding I take her to the GP get a referral from an expert and provide that to the catering company. Several hundred quids' worth of taxpayers' money, and a PITA to achieve precisely zero.
Our soldiers may crawl into minefields under enemy fire, but changing a light bulb is too expensive for them and we must waste over £1000 a time to change a bulb. The list goes on to eternity. Sheer lunacy.

243ack

And when they do, and cut 'Overseas Aid', they get slated (but not by me!).

Apthorpe

A little more effort on providing wages for additional Dover areas immigration manpower section would save lots more by blocking the rubber boats landing. :banghead:
We made the effort to pay. They spent it on toy jetskis, "command centres", and having their vessels go and bring migrants from France into our waters. At least temporarily, they could have announced that for public health reasons, any unauthorised vessel entering British waters would be sunk and napalmed, and have the French do their jobs of stopping the crossing attempts.

Tazz

We made the effort to pay. They spent it on toy jetskis, "command centres", and having their vessels go and bring migrants from France into our waters. At least temporarily, they could have announced that for public health reasons, any unauthorised vessel entering British waters would be sunk and napalmed, and have the French do their jobs of stopping the crossing attempts.
Sadly the French has no interest or motivation to catch people smugglers and migrants leaving from their shores, every successful boat is another 20-30 migrants that are no longer a problem for France

TomDeer

I always feel a warm glow every time I pay a VAT, corporation and personal tax bill.

Knowing that that hard earned cash is being spent by governments that know infinitely better than I do how to spectacularly p##s money up the wall is such a comfort to me.

Left to me that money might just be frittered away on my family and shooting. Given to government, it gets to be frittered away on so many more things than I could ever imagine and in amounts I cannot even comprehend.

And not just content to fritter away the money we give them, government is also burdening generations yet to be born with debt whilst simultaneously flogging national critical assets into foreign ownership. That is truly the hallmark of a considerate government.

🤔🙄

Last edited:

enfieldspares

Of course this Government with many Russian and other foreign "cronies" still permits them as so called "Non Doms" to pay less tax than would a UK citizen with the same income. Media stories about benefits this, or benefits that, are but smoke and mirrors to divert from the truth that whilst you and I may be taxed and taxed again to the full limit there are many such as the Bransons and the Dysons and the Vesteys who aren't and yet rip the arse out of what money they can gouge from the UK taxpayer.

Fair Hill

Of course this Government with many Russian and other foreign "cronies" still permits them as so called "Non Doms" to pay less tax than would a UK citizen with the same income. Media stories about benefits this, or benefits that, are but smoke and mirrors to divert from the truth that whilst you and I may be taxed and taxed again to the full limit there are many such as the Bransons and the Dysons and the Vesteys who aren't and yet rip the arse out of what money they can gouge from the UK taxpayer.
Google "The Moriarty Tribunal" if you want to feel better about your politicians.

Fair Hill

Ah the same Mr Haughey with his Charvet shirts from the shop on Avenue de la Paix in Paris? Thanks for the link!
He was ordering and paying for a few of them at a time along with his other expensive habits when he made his famous State of the Nation speech and told everyone in Ireland that "we have to tighten our belts as we are living way beyond our means".

He was some operator, zero f**ks given and no qualms about it.

The thing is he had a lot of apprentices that we are only finally seeing the back of lately.

enfieldspares

He was ordering and paying for a few of them at a time along with his other expensive habits when he made his famous State of the Nation speech and told everyone in Ireland that "we have to tighten our belts as we are living way beyond our means".
I used to ALWAYS point it out to my Irish clients when driving across Paris from North to South if we took that route from Place de l'Opera via Rue de Rivoli and Place de la Concorde and then over the Seine. If they hadn't already started chatting with each other it was a useful conversation starter. LOL!

Buckaroo8

so many problems with this country.
Amazon made £44billion in Europe in 2020.
Paid NO corporation tax.
If I make £75,000 pretax profit this year, I’ll take home just £52,193….the rest is gone in NICs and income tax.

Ade8mm

Why do the rights of the public sector worker trump those of the citizen?
Discuss.
Ever since "New Labour" created so many public sector jobs as for them to be a mighty section of the voting roll is the reason why..

(Oh and I bet you forgot to factor in the cost of public sector pensions ? Totally unfunded and run on a pay-as-you go basis direct from the public purse.)
Private pensions having been burgled to buggery by Gordon Brown just around the time he sold off our Gold reserves at the bottom of a two decade bear market,

Mind you this current bunch of Westminster gangsters ain't any better.

A teacher once told me when I asked him why he thought he should be guaranteed a final salary pension funded by the taxpayer when those in the private sector had to paddle their own canoes in the increasingly challenging field of pension/retirement provision , he replied

"Ah yes, but we work harder than normal people"

Astounding but true and says a lot about the mind-set of so many of these public sector types

A sobering thought is if the public sector employs more than 50% of the workforce then a Country is bankrupt -

Last edited:

Apthorpe

Google "The Moriarty Tribunal" if you want to feel better about your politicians.
That was just pennies. At least Haughey etc were spending the money more wisely. Our lot squander more than the entire GDP of Ireland each year on top of whatever spending might be defensible. Nothing to show for it at all, not even ill-gotten gains.

karamoja

Boris spent how much on decorating, how much on going on holiday, how much on supporting ex wife's and children he's left behind. Huge corporations pay nothing in tax. The furlough scheme has cost a fortune, but what was the alternative. Key workers went into work every day wondering if that was the day they were going to get C19. Most schools are severely under funded and resourced and it gets scarier by the day.
And yet some people (the pointy elbowed semi sociopathic) believe they are entitled to squeeze every last bit they can, and then get upset when others ask for a fair salary for contributing to society instead of just taking.
Sorry! Had a bad day at the chalk face - trying to sort out an old laptop for a pupil who was struggling to do homework on a 5 year old phone....so they stood half a chance of getting the A level there peers have.

alberta boy

You're not alone . The current Liberal government , under JT and the sunshine band ( Justin Trudeau ) spent more in 11 months than Canada spent fighting the second world war . The deficit from one years spending alone would pay for two Apollo programs , that's the entire program from start to finish , not just one landing . The debt that my grandchildren will be burdened with is bad enough , but at the rate that they're printing more money , our dollar is dropping in value ............. they did find enough to give themselves a raise though . Funny , they always seem to find enough for that . And they wonder why there's a western separation movement .

AB

Last edited: