Farewell Ferret

TomT3

A sad day for me the other week as I had to put one of my beloved ferrets down. He was a castrated pole cat hob by the name of Bert. He had a good innings at circa 8 years old.

He was one of the first pair I got. Sadly he started losing weight, I clean them out a few times a week and feed and water them daily. He seemed lively a few days before on the Tuesday but when I inspected him closer on the Friday and had him out his hutch I Noticed his penis was protruding and black and smelled awful. My wife took him to the vets the next day and was told
That he had a prolapsed penis and their was nothing we could do- I felt a lump in his abdomen also which I suspected was a tumour I do wonder whether most vets are competent with ferrets sometimes . He was so thin and was usually a greedy little git! . So on my return from work I held him for a while then swiftly put him to sleep with my air gun via a pellet to the rear of the napper. I won’t lie it did bring a little tear to my eye!

That leaves me with his brother, two jills and a vasectomised hob but no rabbits in Essex!

CarlW

A sad day for me the other week as I had to put one of my beloved ferrets down. He was a castrated pole cat hob by the name of Bert. He had a good innings at circa 8 years old.

He was one of the first pair I got. Sadly he started losing weight, I clean them out a few times a week and feed and water them daily. He seemed lively a few days before on the Tuesday but when I inspected him closer on the Friday and had him out his hutch I Noticed his penis was protruding and black and smelled awful. My wife took him to the vets the next day and was told
That he had a prolapsed penis and their was nothing we could do- I felt a lump in his abdomen also which I suspected was a tumour I do wonder whether most vets are competent with ferrets sometimes . He was so thin and was usually a greedy little git! . So on my return from work I held him for a while then swiftly put him to sleep with my air gun via a pellet to the rear of the napper. I won’t lie it did bring a little tear to my eye!

That leaves me with his brother, two jills and a vasectomised hob but no rabbits in Essex!
I am sorry for your loss. Lovely creatures. Poaching with ferrets was how I started out in fieldsports many years ago. They always make me smile!

Kind regards,

Carl

TomT3

Did you work them much before your rabbits disappeared?
Yes used to get out a few times a season not as much as I’d like mind! They get let out in the garden a few times a week and have a large purpose built hutch to exercise to keep them happy.

TomT3

What a sad day, would the Vet not put him down for you?

Wonderful creatures. Wonderful sentiment, Farewell Ferret.
Hi
Thanks for your post
Yes he would of but i wanted to see him before he departed and also he wanted £150 on top of the £45 consultancy fee! We did get paint relief though. I might add he was knackered the poor old boy if he was more knowing I would of let the vet do it.

He’s now buried at the end of my garden-no doubt dreaming of biting a rabbits bum somewhere !

Fosbery Holster

Hi
Thanks for your post
Yes he would of but i wanted to see him before he departed and also he wanted £150 on top of the £45 consultancy fee! We did get paint relief though. I might add he was knackered the poor old boy if he was more knowing I would of let the vet do it.

He’s now buried at the end of my garden-no doubt dreaming of biting a rabbits bum somewhere !
Isn’t that just scandalous £195 in total for a Ferret, don’t the Vets cash in on your sorrow. Best place for him at home in the garden poor old lad.

TomT3

Oh yes I agree and that’s the tip of the ice berg!!

Both my jills inevitably came into season again this year so I called my incumbent vet to book the Jill jab - I swiftly was informed that this treatment had risen significantly and was told I’d be called back. 5 minutes later the receptionist called back and said the price had quadrupled for the two ! Last year it was £79 for the pair this time it was £150 each! I said you must have that wrong! But she was adamant this was for the hormone injection and not the implant. Needless to say I contacted a different vet (the large chain) and they stated that they charged £35 pound consultancy fee per ferret and £25 per jab -what a difference!. In the end I opted for purchasing a vasectomised (hopefully) hob for £65 plus £15 donation anyway!

shakey jake

all about insurance, if you can earn hundreds an hour why work for less? i feel for you mate still miss my old hob pongo, tame and reliable never bit me bolted hundreds of rabbits would stay all day for a dig, long gone. my terrior is on his last days, not looking forward to it
shakey

Woodsmoke

Sorry to read this. I lost the last of my ferrets a couple of years ago now, and I still miss them. They're wonderful wee animals, and have a real capacity for fun and affection when raised with a modicum of care. The old-school thinking that a pet fert can't work was proven to be a fallacy time and again with all of mine.

CarlW

Sorry to read this. I lost the last of my ferrets a couple of years ago now, and I still miss them. They're wonderful wee animals, and have a real capacity for fun and affection when raised with a modicum of care. The old-school thinking that a pet fert can't work was proven to be a fallacy time and again with all of mine.
Agreed. Same with that "they need to be hungry to hunt" nonsense. Value them as you would a dog and you'll have a good friend and a great worker.

Still think fondly of 'Suggs' decades after his death. A big softy. My jills were wilder that Suggs but still never used to bite me.

stalker.308

Sorry to hear of your loss. All the above is how I felt when I used to keep them, lovely animals and a lot of fun both as pets and working. All those I kept from young were fabulous workers, never bit me, it was such a pleasure to dig out a rabbit and blindly put my hand down the hole to be welcomed by the wet nose of my ferret, claws covered in rabbit fur! Great fun.

Sonicdmb73

It’s a sad loss of any loyal friend. And they sure are loyal. I had many years keeping ferrets, but one Polecat hob stands out. He spent a lot of time in my jacket pocket. Came back to the whistle and made me a lot of pocket/beer money in my teens.
I don’t have them now but would again in a heartbeat if I could.

old keeper

Vets charging that for a jill jab is scandalous. I've kept ferrets for seventy years and in all that time this is the first time I've been without a ferret, all the rabbits have gone!

As far as putting a ferret down an airgun is ideal and totally humane. I used to put a tin lid down with a drop of milk and when it was drinking did the deed. Not pleasant but at times it was necessary.

On another slightly different matter, I have known keepers and shooting men in the past, that when their dog got too old or was in a bad way would take them for a last walk with the gun. I couldn't do that myself I don't think, but from the dog's point of view, I thought it was a better option than putting some of them through the stress of the vet where I know of cases when putting them to sleep went horribly wrong.