Faulty Factory ammo

swatty

Please be aware that the cheap remi 30-06 ammunition that you purchased this morning was sold for component cost only. It must not be relied upon as a hunting ammunition. It is recommended that you take the round apart and re assemble using new primers. The powder heads and cases can be re used. If used on a range it is safe to shoot as only some of the batch had faulty primers and it will be obvious when the round fails to fire.

This his was a text message I received this afternoon after visiting a unnamed gunshop this morning at the time of purchase I wasn't informed of any faults or asked what I would be using the ammo for which incidentally is to be used in a couple of wks time for three days driven boar hunting . I reload but due to time constraints and the fact I had ran out of powder I thought I'd buy some factory ammo and at least re use the brass never once had I thought I'd be pulling bullets and putting them back together if that's what I've got to end up doing I would of been better off making time and doing my own rounds up . The rounds I bought Wernt overly cheap £20 a box and I bought 5 boxes not a happy hunter at the mo as the shop was a hours drive away

Remington core lokt 3006 180 grain all it says on box as regards lot no is PSP R30065
on the bar code its 4770005490
hope this helps

Please be aware that the cheap remi 30-06 ammunition that you purchased this morning was sold for component cost only. It must not be relied upon as a hunting ammunition. It is recommended that you take the round apart and re assemble using new primers. The powder heads and cases can be re used. If used on a range it is safe to shoot as only some of the batch had faulty primers and it will be obvious when the round fails to fire.

This his was a text message I received this afternoon after visiting a unnamed gunshop this morning at the time of purchase I wasn't informed of any faults or asked what I would be using the ammo for which incidentally is to be used in a couple of wks time for three days driven boar hunting . I reload but due to time constraints and the fact I had ran out of powder I thought I'd buy some factory ammo and at least re use the brass never once had I thought I'd be pulling bullets and putting them back together if that's what I've got to end up doing I would of been better off making time and doing my own rounds up . The rounds I bought Wernt overly cheap £20 a box and I bought 5 boxes not a happy hunter at the mo as the shop was a hours drive away

If you aren't kidding us then this gunshop deserves to be named & shamed. What a bloody nerve! It just demonstrates the dubious practices manufacturers & the retail trade get up to.

First of all this product code R30065 is old stock sold at today's prices. Remington Corelokt is cheap budget stuff - their 'cooking ammo' line. This R30065 is still on sale everywhere as normal product .........

Remington R30065 - Google Search

The current product code R30064 on the Remington website differs by one digit, but is undoubtedly the same stuff ......

Firearms Comparison - Shotguns Comparison - Rifles Comparison - Remington Guns Comparison

What is this gunshop actually saying? I like the pejorative cheap ammunition used as some sort of excuse. Does that mean if it's not one of Remington's premium line it's not guaranteed to go bang? Again I quote ... It must not be relied upon as a hunting ammunition ! What's the customer buying the stuff for then - as anal suppositories maybe? Who sells assembled ammunition at normal RRP for component cost only? If it's got faulty (read dud) primers then what's it doing on the shelf for sale? Why do they assume people are so desperate for cr*p Remington component bullets & brass that they'd spend hours whacking away with a bullet puller salvaging it and then reloading it?

I'd be referring this outfit to Trading Standards, and the Gun Trade Association if not the Pope pretty damn quick.

ho sells assembled ammunition at normal RRP for component cost only?
If it's got faulty (read dud) primers then what's it doing on the shelf for sale?

I'd be referring this outfit to Trading Standards, and the Gun Trade Association if not the Pope pretty damn quick.

more to the point why is it not being advertised as having faulty primers if on sale at all!?

£20 a box just so you can pull the ammo to salvage some not very good components - UN BLOODY BELIEVABLE. :cuckoo: :rofl:

Have you contacted Remington directly about this? If so what do they say? Either, I guess, they'll say "Nothing wrong with it" or "Yes there is a known issue".

If the former, that there was nothing wrong with it as far as Remington know, then it begs the question as to exactly what has happened, since it left Remington, that this gun shop is now saying it is "faulty".

Sadly the Importers who of course were Edgar Bros are quite fond of this. I needed some 280 Rem factory to test the chamber and my chamberign job on the .280 AI. My local shop spoke to EB who sent them a box who then had trouble finding a price. EB "kindly" supplied a price however when opened the cases were quite tarnished so I looked them up and this type of ammunition had been discontinued for a dozen years yet EB charged us for Remington's Premium brand at todays prices of course.

I was unhappy and complained to EB who were upset that i contacted them direct and came out with lots of B/S Remington themselves were none too happy that ammunition they say should be destroyed, 10 years was their limit on this, was beign offered as NEW. EB dreamt up a price of around £2 pop bang for this stuff.

It appears that I should have been grateful and tipped my hat and paid the grossly inflated price with a smile.

I have dealt with EB for several decades over different things and have noticed in the last decade that their greed has grown and their customer service become almost non existent. Even though they have always been "Trade Only" it always used to be possible to work things out with them and just have the shop call to arrange delivery and when the LPA sight broke on my Tanfoglio pistol EB were very helpful ............................................ I would hate to have to try and deal with them over something like that now.

Sad and a great shame really.

I have just finished emailing Remington I'll await there response. the gunshop whilst offering me a full refund explained that the shop assistant didn't know of the fault that's why I wasn't informed at the time of purchase, even though the shop owner knew I was coming to buy said ammo as I spoke to him on the phone through the week although I reload I certainly wouldn't of purchased the ammo to dismantle for ovious reasons now I'm left with either another two hour round trip to get my money back and end up having to buy different ammo of the guy , the reason being is I'm off to Portugal on the 21 st of the month I could do up my own rounds as I've sourced powder but I don't have time or enough usable brass to do so and all my local dealers don't have any factory ammo in . Also I'm not thrilled with the fact if this ammo is dangerous then it will be resold to someone else

I e-mailed Remington too.

Here is their response:
Response Via Email (Danny)11/05/2013 07:59 AM
There are no product recalls or ongoing issues with the 30-06 Core-Lokt ammunition. It should be perfectly fine for use. Thank you.

I wonder what the problem with yours was? Improper storage perhaps?

Yes could be storage issue I've herd the shop has a bit of a reputation for selling ammo that had been stored when there was a flood

Swatty,
If you bought five boxes and are only going to Portugal for three days shooting, I am sure you could try a few, it would either work, or not, with no harm done to your rifle and may all work out fine.
I bought some Winchester 30-06 220gn bullets cheap as they were old stock and I mean old stock!
The boxes were faded and 'crisp' the brass was the colour of copper !
They were sold to me at an advantageous price due to their age and could well have been destcribed as 'Salvage Only' but I put some through my 30-06 and found it was the best bargain I have ever had.

If you bought five boxes and are only going to Portugal for three days shooting, I am sure you could try a few, it would either work, or not, with no harm done to your rifle and may all work out fine.

Well...I can think of at least THREE reasons why not:

1) You may get a round that ignites well enough to send the bullet up the barrel, part way, and no further.

2) The ammunition may have been tumbled to clean it up. Unlikely however. But if it has tumbling will have modified the shape of the kernels of powder that may in the worst case cause excessive pressure. Think grinding large kernels into small balls or powder and think what that does to the burning rate. So your pressure may be sky high.

3) You may get irregular velocity such that whilst it is enough to exit the barrel it doesn't at 2.700fps but at more like 1,900fps. Deadly enough if placed "on the spot" except that it may not and impact low on the beats and so gut shoot it.

Well...I can think of at least THREE reasons why not:

1) You may get a round that ignites well enough to send the bullet up the barrel, part way, and no further.
It Is old ammo expected to have a fault with the primer not a fault with the charge so highly unlikely but if it did, there is still no harm done, just an inconvenience that can be sorted.

2) The ammunition may have been tumbled to clean it up. Unlikely however. But if it has tumbling will have modified the shape of the kernels of powder that may in the worst case cause excessive pressure. Think grinding large kernels into small balls or powder and think what that does to the burning rate. So your pressure may be sky high.
As you say not likely to have been tumbled or even thrown about whilst in storage to the extent to have made such a difference as you suggest, so is irrevelant.

3) You may get irregular velocity such that whilst it is enough to exit the barrel it doesn't at 2.700fps but at more like 1,900fps. Deadly enough if placed "on the spot" except that it may not and impact low on the beats and so gut shoot it.
Any such severe problems with velocity to that extent will probably be obvious to an experienced shooter or if there is any suspicion of such an incident use a chrono.

If I had nothing to do I could probably think of something else but a couple down range would soon give me something more specific to think about.
Of course if I was as worried about it to that extent, I'd bury the lot, cancell the trip to Portugal and stay indoors in case I get run over by a bus ;)

So the shop are recommending that you disassemble factory ammo? Do they have extensive knowledge about your abilities and experience as a home loader?

Did they give you a free bullet puller?

Back