Vacancy: FE Wildlife Ranger vacancy, Northumberland

Shabz

Probably already have someone in mind ????

You’d be surprised. I got a job with Forestry Commission Scotland. I didn’t think I would have a chance thinking that they would have someone for it already. I know folk who know some of the other candidates that had also gone for it and they were convinced that I had been preselected. I hadn’t. I didn’t know anyone in the organisation and none of them knew me. I was just the best candidate.

Go for the job. If you don’t get it, then tell yourself that they already had someone lined up for it. It’ll make you feel better.

Just don’t tell yourself that before you apply. Then you’re the only one to blame for not getting it.

400 deer mind without Lamping. That’s a bit of going like.

NickJ

You’d be surprised. I got a job with Forestry Commission Scotland. I didn’t think I would have a chance thinking that they would have someone for it already. I know folk who know some of the other candidates that had also gone for it and they were convinced that I had been preselected. I hadn’t. I didn’t know anyone in the organisation and none of them knew me. I was just the best candidate.

Go for the job. If you don’t get it, then tell yourself that they already had someone lined up for it. It’ll make you feel better.

Just don’t tell yourself that before you apply. Then you’re the only one to blame for not getting it.

400 deer mind without Lamping. That’s a bit of going like.

NickJ

As to the cull number - I think Thermal Imagers have helped a lot and the cull would have been what the guy on that beat achieved previously of course.

slider

Probably already have someone in mind ????
Usual rubbish that gets spouted on here. I got my job with Forest Enterprise Scotland with no previous connections and have since been on recruitment panels. Yes a current employee might apply and yes they might get the job, but only if they are the best candidate. I have seen plenty jobs go to external candidates where internals have applied.

tom reveley

Redesdale has been stalked by an fc contractor for years this and another beat came up 5years about. I know 2people who went in for it and the contractor on site got it???

Glyn 1

Redesdale has been stalked by an fc contractor for years this and another beat came up 5years about. I know 2people who went in for it and the contractor on site got it???
To be fair, a candidate that is already working on site, is going to be a tough one to beat in a job interview unless he or she is a complete muppet or has blotted their copybook somewhere along the way. They have effectively been on a long term interview and the old phrase 'better the devil you know' comes strongly into play too especially if the existing candidate is a younger person who has already been heavily shaped by the employer. I just wish they didn't waste other peoples time with pointless interviews or lie to people when they ask for feedback.

Despite being beaten to good jobs a few times now by internal candidates I actually believe in positive discrimination; if you have a good (or at least adequate!) person lined up then give them the job. The only time I have a problem with this is when they blatantly don't meet the job spec in terms of minimum qualifications/experience which has been seen a few times. It is a bit pointless setting a very onerous job spec (including separate interviews for your dog!) to then not adhere to it.

This doesn't just apply to FC jobs but across the whole sector. I had a period a few years ago when I was looking to change jobs and I have to say the whole process was pretty painful; I could write a book about the experiences I had and they were mostly bad!

tom reveley

F.rom what I gather the last time they had to advertise it to keep things right.cross the t and dot the i .just wastes people’s time and effort

Shabz

That simply doesn’t happen. You could well be the best candidate for the job because you’re already doing it, it’s quite likely that someone who is doing a job is going to be able to do the job but there can’t be any hint of nepotism.
I have heard of jobs being advertised that only one person in the country could do and that person didn’t get the job because they tanked the interview.

NickJ

F.rom what I gather the last time they had to advertise it to keep things right.cross the t and dot the i .just wastes people’s time and effort
I honestly think you are thinking of another beat/role Tom.

I worked for the FC back in the early 90s and before that many rangers were recruited from FC forestry workers or, before that warreners. That is very rarely the case now and every ranger I know has come in to that role from the outside.

tom reveley

Nope contract stalker living in caravan from Darlington way.2 people I know we’re told they were very close but lost to to another. Who turned out to be the contract stalker. .fc keilderhave 12 full time and 1 part time stalker or did have couple years ago. Shooting 3000 roe a year

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Just apply for the role if you want it or raise a grievance with Fc if you object to the way applications are handled

My contact with the FC has only been positive in that those involved are transparent and carry out their role legitimately and effectively