Fertiliser

NigelM

Out on the permission 2 weeks ago and saw 19 Roe, all out on the fields in groups of 5 or 6. It was cold and clear.

Out this morning and saw 4, all in standing maize cover crop. Nothing on the fields, didn't even find/bump anything out of anywhere else. Covered a lot of ground but saw no more. A greyer morning and 10 degrees warmer.

Talking to the keeper afterwards he mentioned that they spread nitrogen on all the fields earlier this week. Has anyone heard of this being responsible for pushing Roe off?

Saw 8 on the next door property in the middle of the fields. I doubt he had been spreading at the same time. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Pretty sure you're supposed to wear gloves while handling it, so I imagine if it doesn't affect their feet it certainly will affect their palate

Suspect it won't leave a very nice taste in their mouth. Plus side is once it's rained a bit and the fertilizer has been washed through/into the ground, the grass starts to grow and your permission with it's fertilized fields will be exactly where they want to be.

Atb,

Scott

Roe seem to me very sensitive to anything strange on crops Slurry/sprays/fertiliser etc. On one farm I went to last weekend one side of the farm had been carring sheep up to 3 weeks ago had no deer on the other side we saw plenty.
Farmers here have just been spreading trace elements rather than fert and deer have moved .

The first time I ever went stalking we had to tour the fields for a while because they all had fresh tram lines from spraying and the host knew it would put the deer off them. One of many things I learned that day :)
It ended happily on an untouched field.

Thanks guys. Sounds like that's the explanation then. Just have to wait for a good rain for them to come back. Will focus on the rough bits between the arable fields and the woodland until then.

Generally two or three weeks before you will see them again because it makes the grass taste bitter or so I was told by my old farmer mate who I used to shoot with and it always seems to be the case so guess he may of been right.

Generally two or three weeks before you will see them again because it makes the grass taste bitter or so I was told by my old farmer mate who I used to shoot with and it always seems to be the case so guess he may of been right.

It all depends on how many units of nitrogen was spread how long the crop is bitter. I'll ask my gaffer how long it takes for each unit of nitrogen to come out the grass as I can't remember off the top of my head.

Regards Kev

The most horrible stuff is the human sewage they spread on some fields these days, that stuff puts deer off for months.
It's enough to put me off for months too, I've got a pretty strong stomach but that stuff makes me gag and I can taste it for ages in my mouth :(

Back