Fieldsports Britain driven muntjac

I shoot lactating does and the hinds no problems. When the hounds push them out the calves dont go far. Asiatic deer breed all year round. Any other burning questions?
I can only assume that you then follow up to shoot the calves? Muntjac are different. The fawns sit tight and will not follow the mother. They will then just starve. Not quite the same is it?

Chasey

Sorry, but my primary concern is the welfare of the animal and so I am not a fan.

To anger people further I COULD see a way forward with some sort of proficiency test as a minimum standard, but I have had a few days on wild boor simulators and watched many have a go with some results I wouldn't like to witness on live animals.

I have been invited on wild boor shoots on driven boor but have turned the offer down as I dont feel proficient enough.

I also have small concern over back stop issues, but accept there will be some suitable grounds in the UK

Edit

To expand on my point, its all about margins of error for me which is why I also dont like bow hunting.

High seat high margin of error low skill, walk and stalk, smaller margin of error medium skill, driven, tiny margins of error lots of skill

Last edited:
How many lactating Muntjac does are shot by stalkers? Quite a few i don't doubt. How many people shoot roe does at the start of the season so their fawns find it hard to survive the winter?
Not many muntjac if people take the time to study them, and NO roe fawns are left to suffer if people leave the fawns with kids as most of us do until after Christmas when they are much less dependant. Even then, the young should be culled as first priority. It's not difficult!
These are deer we are talking about - NOT vermin! That said, even vermin should be culled with as much respect as possible with regards to suffering.

swatty

Have to agree driven muntys ( not that I’ve had a lot to do with muntjac ) personally I can not see the need stalking deer has never been as easy in the uk what with top quality optics quad sticks rifles that all shoot sub moa quality waterproofs thermal imaging once the leaves are of there’s nothing hard about shooting woodland deer

I don’t have strong feelings either way,used to drive roe in planting’s using number 3,s or 4,s rarely had one wounded. I don’t fancy driven boar myself but would like to go and watch. We tend to view such things from our own limited experiences, how we learned to hunt etc but driven hunts preceded firearms,continued through the evolution of the early firearms .for the longest period of professional stalking firearms were used in the same way as the bow that preceded it ,not as a quick clean kill but to injure enough to allow a brace of dogs to pull down to be dispatched by a blade

swatty

How many lactating Muntjac does are shot by stalkers? Quite a few i don't doubt. How many people shoot roe does at the start of the season so their fawns find it hard to survive the winter?
There’s probably a few who shoot roe does early season I manage several thousand acres and can still achieve necessary cull levels without shooting early season roe does
You always always do
and at least it’s sense unlike some comments on this thread people who understand deer management and deer can do the job required without unnecessary suffering to all deer species like I said previously deer management has never been as easy

Jagare

Not many muntjac if people take the time to study them, and NO roe fawns are left to suffer if people leave the fawns with kids as most of us do until after Christmas when they are much less dependant. Even then, the young should be culled as first priority. It's not difficult!
These are deer we are talking about - NOT vermin! That said, even vermin should be culled with as much respect as possible with regards to suffering.
I never for a second said Muntjac were vermin. But to think that all munti does shot on a driven day would be lactating does, or that there aren't many lactating does shot by "Stalkers" is very far fetched.

well it goes on, along with Head shooting as a matter of course and 500 yard shots, what people do on there own bit of ground is up to them as long as its within the law,
As a tracking guy I would have liked to have seen the dogs in action,
if the dogs didn't find when called I guess that would have not been shown!
when movement days first started a lot of people where against them,
maybe Driven muntjac days will not be so frowned upon in ten years.