[Film] "Long Range" with .22LR

Muir

You need to come play with us. We shoot at shotgun hulls off hand at 100m, empty 40 S&W casings from the bench. You'd have fun!~Muir

PATHnz

That does sound fun. I'll be stretching the range much further on this rifle when I get the chance, hence "Part 1".

Lloyd90

How do you find the Ruger 10/22 ... I just put in for a 22lr again and am not sure between one and a bolt action CZ

bobjs

How do you find the Ruger 10/22 ... I just put in for a 22lr again and am not sure between one and a bolt action CZ

if you want to trick it up. (this is a term used when you have to spend a boat load of dosh to get the rifle to operate/shoot properly in the first place.) so IMO: i would stay with a bolt action CZ 22lr, i personaly have had nothing but cr@p semi autos and would only possess one to hold a door open with.

bob.

ps: nice film by the way,

PATHnz

The 10/22 is okay. It's very reliable, functionally accurate, the flush 10rd mags are very functional, and there is a large aftermarket. If I were to be buying today I would consider a Browning T-bolt (straight pull bolt action, 10rd helical flush fit mags) or finding a used T/C R55 (very nice quality semi-auto, discontinued though. I have one currently that I shoot with iron sights).

old keeper

I would agree with bobjs, I think I've tried pretty well every semi 22LR available, the best I found for accuracy is my CZ512 and that surprised me, it really is very good with Eley subs, absolute rubbish with the usual excellent winchesters though.

By far the worst for accuracy was a 10/22 with all the goodies, it was truly dreadfuL

Lloyd90

I was thinking it would suck and be a hassle if getting a dud semi auto. Will probally look for a CZ

Can you please tell me what Model scope that is mind mate ? I see its a leupold mk4

Cheers

Muir

The 10/22 is okay. It's very reliable, functionally accurate, the flush 10rd mags are very functional, and there is a large aftermarket. If I were to be buying today I would consider a Browning T-bolt (straight pull bolt action, 10rd helical flush fit mags) or finding a used T/C R55 (very nice quality semi-auto, discontinued though. I have one currently that I shoot with iron sights).

I wouldn't buy a T-Bolt. I have not found them to be as accurate, generally, as a CZ bolt gun. I have several 10/22's, one of which is heavily modified. It is a very accurate and reliable rifle. I have about 15 Brno and CZ rifles. Hard to beat.~Muir

PATHnz

I'm not super concerned with accuracy beyond the point of functional precision. I weigh other factors to be more important than shaving eighths of an inch off a functional group size, eg ergonomics, general quality, reliability, capacity and availability of magazines, etc. Which is why I have a 10/22.

Muir

I'm not super concerned with accuracy beyond the point of functional precision. I weigh other factors to be more important than shaving eighths of an inch off a functional group size, eg ergonomics, general quality, reliability, capacity and availability of magazines, etc. Which is why I have a 10/22.

Yes, but when the accuracy is mediocre and the trigger poor (T-Bolt) you have the Frustration Combination. A 10/22 does allow you to shoot through a hole in the wind. I have set back and waited for the right moment then shot as fast as I could, accurately, before the wind changed again. I have always thought that a retired biathalon rifle with the thumb flick action would be the bomb for this kind of shooting. They aren't real common here in the States, tho.

When we have our "fun shoot" we will set up empty pistol brass on top of a rail at 100M and shoot these from a rest (prone or bench, depending on the shooter) and then gravitate to 12ga hulls off hand. We tend to fire courses from 25 yards to just over 100 yards. At 25 we split playing cards edgewise. 50M is empty .22 LR hulls and at 100, besides what i mentioned above, about anything goes in the way of a challenge. One time this summer we had golf tees set into a 2x4 plank and multi-colored, .625" paint balls were set on top of them. We are setting up a course of fire out to 350 yards for .22LR but being farmers, the summer is not the time such things get done. It will be December before that happens. The first target will be a 8" metal disc, randomly set in place somewhere on the course before the shoot, and it will be a cold bore shot. No range finders allowed. That should be fun!~Muir

Look deer

Guys

While we're on 22LR I've just picked up as a bit of a 'ticket filler' an old (really old) Winchester target rifle, think its a model 52. Haven't got the ticket thru yet, but anybody any experience of these or have one?

Muir

Guys

While we're on 22LR I've just picked up as a bit of a 'ticket filler' an old (really old) Winchester target rifle, think its a model 52. Haven't got the ticket thru yet, but anybody any experience of these or have one?
\

I shot (US) NRA 100M Metallic Silhouette with a M52B for many years. Phenomenally accurate rifle. In the end the kids needed some necessities more than I needed that rifle. You will have fun with it. By the by, an Englishman used to come into my shop in New Mexico and bring me High Standard Victor pistol barrels to reline with sections of Model 52 barrel. (Relax, this was in the mid eighties) He swore that nothing shot like my Winchester-lined pistol barrels. I remember is last name was Rose, and he was in his 70's back then. Nice guy and a testament to the quality of those old Winchester barrels.~Muir

Look deer

Think this one is maybe a Model C, it has the trigger adjustable for pull and travel, which appears to be the one produced in the fifties. Apparently they used to call them the 'King of .22s' Looking forward to playing with it, be a change to shoot iron sights.

Muir

Think this one is maybe a Model C, it has the trigger adjustable for pull and travel, which appears to be the one produced in the fifties. Apparently they used to call them the 'King of .22s' Looking forward to playing with it, be a change to shoot iron sights.

Nice gun, full blown target model, I presume?? Had a "D" model for a bit. It was too nice to cut up and too heavy for the Metallic Silhouette course so I sold it. It will shoot, I can guarantee it.~Muir