Finished my budget mini butchery room/larder today

stratts

Put the finishing touches to my little deer prep room today just in time for a full weekend stalking next week so hopefully I'll be putting it to good use.

Turned this end of my garage

Behind here

Into this bad boy using all recycled materials that were going in the skip from a lab refurb project at work and an old set of doors I kept (just in case!!) :D

Panoramic pic from my phone

I'm really rather chuffed with myself!!

Stratts

stratts

At the moment I have a normal fridge that I use as a chiller that I can get 2 munties in and am in the process of making a small rail fixed to the ceiling to hang them from for carcass prep. If I ever get land or the chance to shoot the larger species I'll need to get a bigger chiller or think about changing the room into an actual chiller with an add on unit,

Stratts

Merlyn

Oh how I wish... Having just downsized there is no hope. It is still the garage I'm afraid.

Dawnraider

Just the job!, wish I had room to do something similar, I got hooks in the kitchen ceiling for all my skinning and a very understanding wife.

stratts

I did have an understanding wife until I robbed the french doors from between the front room and conservatory while she was out!! They were always left open anyway and I needed doors on my larder!! :D

andyf

Does look good! I have a hook screwed into the garage roof joist. Can confirm it works well enough, although the kids complained about blood on their bike saddles...

When we going to see the next set of photos with you christening it by butchering the Muntjac??

devon deer stalker

I like to have access to my garage when i suspend deer from roof, tie rope to towing hitch and drive away towing skin with it using the golf ball trick!
Cheers
Richard

stratts

Quick update I got an email from the council saying I'm now registered as a food business so thanks to those that PM'd me with advice about the running water issue.

They accepted that as I only process a few carcasses I can use a water butt filled with clean water as needed and use a kettle to boil it up rather than have hot and cold running. I have to say they were a pleasure to deal with and used common sense based on my needs which is a nice change I think!!

Cheers

Stratts

Chasey

I did have an understanding wife until I robbed the french doors from between the front room and conservatory while she was out!! They were always left open anyway and I needed doors on my larder!! :D

We are not worthy :D

ATB

Chasey

Pete E

Quick update I got an email from the council saying I'm now registered as a food business so thanks to those that PM'd me with advice about the running water issue.

They accepted that as I only process a few carcasses I can use a water butt filled with clean water as needed and use a kettle to boil it up rather than have hot and cold running. I have to say they were a pleasure to deal with and used common sense based on my needs which is a nice change I think!!

Cheers

Stratts
Hi Stratts,

That's great news!

Could you explain a little more how you dealt with the water issue? Did the council still want you to have a separate hand washing bowl or were they not bothered? What about waste water?

Also, as far as the council are concerned, are you intending to butcher carcasses and sell the joints, or is this set up geared up to just selling skinning carcasses? Or don't they care?

Regards,

Peter

stratts

Hi Stratts,

That's great news!

Could you explain a little more how you dealt with the water issue? Did the council still want you to have a separate hand washing bowl or were they not bothered? What about waste water?

Also, as far as the council are concerned, are you intending to butcher carcasses and sell the joints, or is this set up geared up to just selling skinning carcasses? Or don't they care?

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,
Here's the response below from the inspector. I am now ok to supply the carcass in the skin to an AGHE legally and also skin the carcass and supply local butchers, restaurants, etc, who then sell to the final consumer. But I must clean the chiller between hanging in and out of the skin and clean the working area between processes. If I decide to sell to the end user myself this is not a problem I just need to let them know, but I can't see this happening in the near future. As I said before a common sense approach for someone who only deals with a very small number of carcasses,

Stratts

The difficulty with relying upon a water butt is that there is the possibility that it could become contaminated, which makes it useless for cleaning as water that is left standing for any length of time can support bacterial growth. The water would therefore need to be freshly supplied each day that carcases are prepared. In addition, a lack of running water and suitable drainage can often inhibit good cleaning and hand hygiene practices. The arrangements that you make must therefore enable you to wash your hands and equipment in clean water. My final concern is that when you are washing down the floor, there must be no run off into the street.

So in conclusion, if you think that you can provide fresh water in a form that makes cleaning and hand washing readily available, I will concede that there does not need to be a water supply and mains drainage. Ensure waste water is removed daily.

I have had a look at the HACCP and it appears to be adequate. Where it refers to a cleaning schedule, make sure that you do have one. Also, ensure that you have a system for measuring temperatures, and it is good practice to record them.

I therefore do not intend to carry out a further inspection, as I am happy that you have done the work as you have said. I will give your business a score based upon what I saw and the information that you have provided. I have classed your business as not being included in the food hygiene rating scheme as you mainly supply other businesses. If you increase the level of sale to the general public and wish to be included in the food hygiene rating scheme, let me know and I will reconsider.