Firearms LHR - Again :-(

EMcC

I have just received an E mail from Lufthansa telling me that there is a 'Carriage of Firearms and ammunition Embargo on all carriers to and from LHR' so for my booked flight in November my Firearm cannot be confirmed as able to be carried :( Has anybody else had this ?
If I knew how to attach e mails It would have been easier to do that, anybody offer any info on how to ? I think I've managed most of it anyway.
I don't remember making an enquiry so this has come out of the blue to me.

Dear Mr McC
Thank you for your e-mail regarding booking OL32J3.
We realize that you have been waiting for some time for a response from us. Please accept our sincere apologies for our delayed reply. We are currently experiencing a high volume of feedback from our customers, hence we are unable to reply as quickly as we would like to.
In relation to your query, we would like to inform you that there is a weapon embargo to/from LHR for all LH Group carriers. Therefore we are unable to confirm the weapon for the entire route.
Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Yours sincerely,

H. Seboull
Customer Care Service

Deutsche Lufthansa AG
customercare@dlh.de
lufthansa.com

This has come before hasn't it? (edit:just found this, maybe they don't have a licence? Heathrow - Export of Firearms Issues - Current as of June 2018)
No other airline (that I can find ) mentions this.
I found this on their website
It doesn't help but I find it strange none of the other airlines state this, unless maybe its just flights within Europe?
To be honest it can be such a ball ache if I fly to the states to hunt again I will borrow a rifle over there.
Good luck
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
I believe it is Lufthansa-specific. Was a similar issue with them in Scotland recently. Other carriers fine.

The problem is Lufthansa still take your on line booking which clearly states Sporting Rifles and an extra charge, If they don't take them why charge for them and confirm it on your booking ticket

Is this Brexit related, because it's easier to stop carrying, until Brexit is sorted, rather than carrying, and finding people are stuck in Europe, and the EFP becomes invalid ?
I travelled enough times abroad before we joined the EU so I can't see how the Brexit carp will make it any different to what it was before.
Prior to the EU it involved production of the UK FC and a 'Letter of Invitation' then a wait at the arrival airport while the Police did a Persons check to make sure you weren't on the International Wanted list. Once that was done, and you weren't an international criminal, you were given a Police Authority paper allowing you to carry your firearm to the relevant hunting ground/area.

Eddy,

I have no doubt that once Brexit is sorted one way or the other, the carriage of firearms will be sorted, however, if you travel to Europe on March the 27th, and "IF" we leave the EU on March 29th with no deal, for example, how will you stand on March the 1st, when your EFP may no longer be valid ?

I appreciate that one way or another, you'll get home, but will it be with your firearms, and just how much disruption to the airlines ?

If I were an airline who currently carries firearms, I would be refusing to carry any firearms to, or from the EU, until Brexit is sorted. It just wouldn't be worth my time, or resources, with the potential hassles, until such a time !

Their obligation to ensure your legal ownership in the destination country or how you get your firearms back in the event of a change of legislation is unlikely to be the cause of a change of airline policy.

Simple case of too much hassle and not enough reason to carry them
As with many other airlines
The costs they get hit with by the handlers and ground ops companies outweighs any fees they may charge you

Back