Firearms Security

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

Daddy The Skunk

Do the police have nothing better to do say perhaps CATCH criminals? This is mostly common sense. Persons who know me know I hunt and shoot. Small town with lots of shooter/hunters. How does one secure to the chassis and not possibly harm the vehicle?

Dalua

How many secure their firearm to the vehicle chassis?
Quite - as has been pointed out, they're not often found on modern vehicles. When I think it appropriate, I used a steel cable passed through the spare wheel: It's not fixed to the vehicle, but it would make an inconvenient accessory to any firearm.

FISH BOY

Slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a dog/pet friendly indoor PIR sensor that can be hard wired into a home burglar alarm to replace a standard one please.

Couple on Amazon, but the reviews are rubbish.

Jools

When reading this I was reminded of a conversation with my FEO regarding security measures around the property. Whilst we all endeavour to maintain a high level of security, I pointed out that this may not be to the levels desired due to lack of appropriate infrastructure for mobile phone signal and internet, without such we do the best available to us.

Stalker1962

Do the police have nothing better to do say perhaps CATCH criminals?

Usually followed by:-

"I pay your wages".

One of the fundamental roles of the Police is to prevent crime. How anyone can object to a "common sense" reminder of your (UK) obligations to manage your own security is beyond me. I do however take the point about anchoring to the vehicle's chassis - not always possible I agree - but I am not going to write to the Times about it.

Archer

Usually followed by:-

"I pay your wages".

One of the fundamental roles of the Police is to prevent crime. How anyone can object to a "common sense" reminder of your (UK) obligations to manage your own security is beyond me. I do however take the point about anchoring to the vehicle's chassis - not always possible I agree - but I am not going to write to the Times about it.
But is it?
Yes in Dixons day it might have been, but 25 tears ago a senior officer said to me that the role of a policeman was changing from prevention to just enforcing the law- ie dealing with perpetrators and convictions and that is what I see has happened

Crime prevention?- have a problem with the railway- Call at the police station and the civilian on the front desk will send you to the transport police.
Lost property? Check with the civilian on the front desk to see if anything has been handed in? Sorry, don't do that now.
Cars outside your house no tax/ins/mot? Police car drives past and nothing- Most area cars have automatic ANPR switched on ( just watch the tv shows) so it will ping the number as they drive by.
Do they stop? No, they are only interested in Moving Traffic Offences and convictions
Ideas/laws/manning levels and the volumes of crime have skyrocketed and policing duties/responsibilities expanded meaning prevention rarely happens- imo:(

8x57

Distinguished Member
Just been sent this, anyone else had anything similar ?
View attachment 182665
Looks like someone went to the same university as my wife.
She's got an honours degree in stating the bleeding obvious. :)

P.S.
I often secure any firearms I'm transporting by a security cable to a part of the structure of my vehicle, but as my car was built post circa 1950 and has monocoque construction it doesn't have a chassis.

Stalker1962

car was built post circa 1950 and has monocoque construction it doesn't have a chassis.
This week's entry for word of the week and yes I had to google it...

"Monocoque ( / ˈmɒnəˌkɒk, - ˌkoʊk / ), also structural skin, is a structural system where loads are supported through an object's external skin, similar to an egg shell. The word monocoque is a French term for "single shell" or (of boats) "single hull"

Dalua

Call at the police station and the civilian on the front desk will send you to the transport police.
Lost property? Check with the civilian on the front desk to see if anything has been handed in? Sorry, don't do that now.
Are police officers not civilians?

CDSG Shooting Sports