fireworks and dogs

roedeerred

We have Just had the usual fireworks let off at the village bonfire a couple of hundred yards from my place the dogs needed loads of reassurance that things were ok the younger one shaking and panting why is it they never bother when out shooting yet fireworks frighten them.

teyhan1

Yeah, first time for my Teckel. He did several laps of the house and is now sitting at my feet not wanting to go anywhere.

limulus

GWP is sat here growling at each bang and wanting to go search for whats been shot.
The cocker will be laid out with his paws over his ears and both labs will be sitting there with their ears pricked up wanting a retrieve.

Buchan

Possibly because they can escape when outside. What your may find I'm afraid is that this gets worse with each firework display. Staying calm and effectively ignoring them and the noise is a big help, but it would due worth asking your local vet (usually the nurses) about nose desensitising

roedeerred

just opened the door and out they went down the garden to see what was happening.
Then came back and settled down as normal.They must have been excited rather than in fear:doh:

norma 308

Luckily far enough away from civilisation but when I lived elsewhere it was a real pain I had birds of prey in aviarys too .new year in 2000 was real bad it was like the 1st ww in our street for hours .
​poor dogs !

Cut+Squirt

GWP is sat here growling at each bang and wanting to go search for whats been shot.
The cocker will be laid out with his paws over his ears and both labs will be sitting there with their ears pricked up wanting a retrieve.

Ahahah exact same as mine, she was howling to get outside thinking it was time
to go shooting... Comical!!!

weeman

Don't underestimate your dogs intelligentsia, your dog will know the difference between bonfire night to a shooting day for sure due to your own training that you protrayed towards them.
Do not question your dog as such question the event and different sensory environments.Would you sxxt yourself if all unknown and all of a sudden a day appearing bang, bang, bang etc was happening all around you and unknown.

limulus

Sorry to go off the op but has Bonnies sister calmed down Cadex?
Bonnie is like a different dog now. Her hairy crocodile eat anything that moves tendencies seem to have evaporated. She was even playing with the labs earlier and not scarring them!

Cut+Squirt

She's turned into a nice stable bidable dog Tony .. she's still being
used in the main for my stalking but also the odd day on grouse / pheasants / rough day
as well... I don't deny though she is still 'sharp' but not with people
or other dogs... For what I required her for I like the Sharpness and don't
discourage it... Glad to hear Bonny has calmed down .. they are undoubtedly
fantastic driven dogs but certainly not for the faint of heart .. :D

1198neo

We live in the countryside, so fireworks are distant distractions to our animals. We have guests staying for the week from Coventry because their dog can't stand the re enactment of the blitz every night around November 5th.

CWMMAN3738

I feel no amount of fireworks could reenact the blitz on Coventry ask any old bomber crew member how they justified the raids on Dresden, & Hamburg & I bet you'll get a one word answer COVENTRY!!
We live in the countryside, so fireworks are distant distractions to our animals. We have guests staying for the week from Coventry because their dog can't stand the re enactment of the blitz every night around November 5th.

finnbear270

It's well high time these "celebrations" were curtailed, to November 5th, and or the nearest weekend to it, three weeks of mayhem is just beyond the pale.

SimpleSimon

I had labs the whole time I was living with my parents and none of them (5 in total) ever seemed the tiniest bit bothered. They now have terrier as they're too old for the effort of bigger dogs, one hates fireworks and the other just wants to fight them. Funny how they're all different.

Wingy

My 2 Weimaraner's didn't bother all weekend then last night sat on the patio watching as I set off a few fireworks in the garden for our 3 year old. The Weimaraner bitch came to every one as I lit it and back to the patio to watch. Every time something went up in the air and went bang they were looking for something to retrieve.
Never had an issue with fireworks luckily
Wingy