First Alpine Steinbock

Territory Hunting

Conor1

Evening all. just returned from Stanton in the Arlberg. Happy to report that I had a very successful stalk for a Steinbock and managed a Marmelot as well. The stalk and shot were relatively simple but but the 7 hour hike to the hut was a killer! Thought I was reasonably fit, but legs are feeling the strain from hawking the guts of 15kg on my back!

Will post a full report in the next few days. Here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 183

snowy

Cracking something I'd love to do but unfortunately the lungs are nowhere near up to that sort of hiking :thumb:.
ps neither the bank balance I fear :oops:.

Last edited:

Conor1

Should also mention......the beast eventually selected was not the biggest but was one of the oldest, 11 years old, he also had lost his left eye. It was a no brainer......cull the injured animal! They reckon he will make gold medal. Couple of facts....range was 100m, cal was 300WinMag and he was shot at an altitude of 2700ms

sws

Congratulations!
stunning beast.
A friend has two gold medals and they're the trophy I covet the most

Conor1

I have just added some videos to Youtube of the stalk, the preparation and of course the shot. Here they are in order!

Last edited:

Heym SR20

That is a proper hunt - something I really want to do sometime. Wouldn't be so much worried about the trophy, but just the whole experience. Last Easter was in the French Alps we had a mixture of Ibex and Chamois across the valley and watched them for many hours through binoculars. On a South facing slope full of warm avalanching snow so could nt get closer than 300 or so yards.

He must have been a tough carry out. Was he butchered up on the mountain and then carried out in a packs?

Conor1

He was dragged........................couldn`t believe how heavy he was. What I love about Alpine hunts is the ceremony, the placing of the foliage in the beast`s mouth, the respect shown to the beast. It has a spiritual if not Christian feel to it which I enjoy very much and which adds to the experience. And if I may so again.......I really feel my legs today!

howa243

Bloody hell 7hrs:scared: I could not do that. Fantastic looking animal. What distance was the shot. Very difficult to tell from the vid.

Conor1

The distance was only 100m which was a relief. I shot a Gemse there last year and that was 240m which is a long way for a small animal............

howa243

The distance was only 100m which was a relief. I shot a Gemse there last year and that was 240m which is a long way for a small animal............

Looked a lot further than that. Was surprised at how many of them there were. That will be a good trophy. Imagine that a trophy should remind you of a good hunt and that one certainly will.

Conor1

There was about 35 in the herd. THey are not the spookiest of animals but they can distinguish a hiker from gentlemen clad in olive! Nevertheless, after the shot, they only moved 50 meters away from us and then gradually moved up the mountain. This was for definite a once in a life time event, that is I have no desire to shoot again. However there is the chance to go for a female next year which although similar, is different!

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Fantastic hunt and great video, maybe one for the future if I ever get my Chamois first.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Conor1

Wayne, I have followed your Chamois hunts with much interest................I hope the Gods are good to you soon.

Night Vision Store