First attempt at running boar with CZ452 stutzen

Pine Marten

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I headed up to Bisley for a first play with my new CZ452 fullstock, the mini, practice version of my main stalking rifle. I'd ordered a Leupold 2-7x33 scope from Uttings, which was delivered to my office on Friday, but the post room guys had already gone for the weekend, so it's in the storeroom somewhere, therefore I just had open sights. That said, I've used open sights before, they worked fine on the air rifle when I was a kid, so why not? Besides, it's fun. I turned up on my bike to the BSRC range day, having picked up 100 rounds off CCI .22LR at the NRA office, and went off to the running boar stand. You start off with four sighters, and I proceeded to not place a single bullet in the target, at which point the gent operating the target asked me whether I thought it was worth continuing. Fair point, I headed off to the statics firing point next door with a telescope, and fired off 20 rounds to familiarise myself with the rifle. The verdict was that on the 50m setting, the rifle shot a bit high, and on the 25m one, a bit low. And I shoot a bit to the left. But this wasn't a proper zeroing session, I'll sort it out properly when the scope arrives.

After that, confident that any further uselessness would be down just to the operator, I went back to the running boar range, and this time asked where I should be aiming on the moving target. At this point, I was taught a few things by the assembled afficionados about different velocity rounds, combined with different speed targets. So my CCI rounds should be only for the fast boar targets, but aiming under the ear rather than on the eye was a decent compensation. And so I acquited myself perfectly decently apparently for a beginner with open sights, and a rifle which should be, in the words of the RO in charge, "part of a shed".

View attachment 30742

Thanks to the gents at the BSRC for their patience and advice, and to the RO for telling me that I didn't have to go anywhere near the target shed this time!

It had been a long time since I'd shot a .22 for a sporting discipline, and I'd forgotten how much fun it was. Also, you can blast off 50 rounds for the price of less than two of the 7mm-08 rounds that I use for stalking. A winning plan!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had fun PM!

I was at a 50m indoor with Kalahari yesterday zeroing my .22 Brno Mod-1 with the new 4x scope I have for it. Work a treat!

Was a hoot, but the guys next door had a 7.5x55 K31 (Straight pull service rifle) and a pump shotty (reckon tricked out 870) and were loosing off slugs so was a little loud.

Hope you get your scope sorted!

Scrummy

The shotgun was a bit weird, with muffs on you could feel the concussion in your chest! Still we had a ball. Laugh a minute. When we were down at Brunig a few months ago we took the BRNO to play on the running boar it was pretty funny, well if you were watching me shoot it was pretty funny! Glad you enjoyed the iron sights. The pros don't use iron sights on their dangerous game rifles for fun. The wide field of view and rapid target acquisition really makes a difference!

David.

When we were down at Brunig a few months ago we took the BRNO to play on the running boar it was pretty funny, well if you were watching me shoot it was pretty funny! Glad you enjoyed the iron sights. The pros don't use iron sights on their dangerous game rifles for fun. The wide field of view and rapid target acquisition really makes a difference!

David.

Well these aren't exactly proper express sights with foldable leaves, just basic, standard ones, not dissimilar to what was on my little air rifle. But yes, target acquisition is easy, even if the ability to aim accurately isn't that great. That little rifle comes up to the shoulder very nicely, just like it's larger sibling. Hopefully, my scope should be delivered today, although I doubt it will see any use for quite some time now.

Ah-ha! My Leupold 2-7x33 has arrived from Uttings! Now for some mounts.

Last edited:
Back