First batch with the lee loader done...

gixer1

Well, that's the first batch of rounds knocked up with the lee loader, surprising simple... Just a couple of question...but first the recipe -

Sierra 85 gr spitzer, 35 gr varget, and 65mm OAL.

the 2.5 cu.in measure states 34.2 gr with varget but I dipped and measured 10 dips the - the variance being 34.8 low and 35.5 high, so what I did was weighed each charge and got them to 35gr.

all the rounds went together well but on 3 occasions after seating the bullet and taking the loader off the round a few grains of powder dropped out, very minimal but still a bit, I measured the grains from the most significant drop out and found it to be 0.4 on the scale.

so what are the thoughts?

The max load for this round is down as 36.5gr.

i'll be testing these tomorrow all going well.

anyone using this combo and if so what load are you using?

regards,
Gixer

smullery

Well, that's the first batch of rounds knocked up with the lee loader, surprising simple... Just a couple of question...but first the recipe -

Sierra 85 gr spitzer, 35 gr varget, and 65mm OAL.

the 2.5 cu.in measure states 34.2 gr with varget but I dipped and measured 10 dips the - the variance being 34.8 low and 35.5 high, so what I did was weighed each charge and got them to 35gr.

all the rounds went together well but on 3 occasions after seating the bullet and taking the loader off the round a few grains of powder dropped out, very minimal but still a bit, I measured the grains from the most significant drop out and found it to be 0.4 on the scale.

so what are the thoughts?

The max load for this round is down as 36.5gr.

i'll be testing these tomorrow all going well.

anyone using this combo and if so what load are you using?

regards,
Gixer

Gixer,

drop out from where ?

Stan

Hornet 6

When I used the Lee loader for batches with weighed charges I used a funnel and a loading block.
If you are going to weigh every charge and fret over a few kernals of powder you may want to rethink and go with a press and dies.
Then you really are in charge of how it is all adjusted, giving you even more to fret over :p

Neil. :)

gixer1

Gixer,

Then it never went in the case the first time.
You either have lube in the die or electrostatic holding.

​Stan

Stan,

thanks, no lube as I cleaned out the die with brake cleaner and dried it thoroughly, I was having to tap the powder out of the top funnel/crimping section of the loader to make sure it dropped down and am 100% sure the top part was clear every time, I guess it drops into the void above the cartridge shoulder when it's poured in.

regards,
​gixer

gixer1

When I used the Lee loader for batches with weighed charges I used a funnel and a loading block.
If you are going to weigh every charge and fret over a few kernals of powder you may want to rethink and go with a press and dies.
Then you really are in charge of how it is all adjusted, giving you even more to fret over :p

Thanks neil, I not long sold off my press and reloading kit as I just wanted a simple loader for knocking up a few rounds and theses seem perfect, I guess I need to maybe funnel it in bit I wouldn't think such a variance will make much difference.

regards,
​gixer

smullery

Gixer,

I just use Lee scoops and find no problems. Can't think how, after all the powder going in and then inserting bullet you have "stuff" coming out.

​Stan

gixer1

Gixer,

I just use Lee scoops and find no problems. Can't think how, after all the powder going in and then inserting bullet you have "stuff" coming out.

​Stan

I would say because you knock the case in to neck size it them knock it down to insert the primer this leaves a slight gap and with varget being extruded I guess it rattles around as it goes in so some gets into the gap...that's my thinking anyway!

regards,
​Gixer

smullery

Gixer,

This is something I wouldn't worry about. Keep on banging them in. Welcome to the club.

​Stan

gixer1

Gixer,

This is something I wouldn't worry about. Keep on banging them in. Welcome to the club.

​Stan

Thanks stan, have to say I'm well impressed with these little loaders, if the accuracy proves ok I can't see why I'd need any thing else!

Regards,
​gixer

Hornet 6

I can't see why I'd need any thing else!

Regards,
​gixer

Then you don't have an upstairs neighbour like mine.
The first time he was home while I loaded he came storming down the stairs and nearly caved my front door in
He was not in the least bit sympathetic when I explained that yes I knew it was 10am on a saturday, and yes I really did have to load 300 round that day.
I carried on and he didn't speak to me for a couple of months, nicked my parking space with a wreck that never moved for 2 months until the property management got it towed away.
Decided a press was better all round for both of us. Lol

Muir

Those few bits of powder made it between the case mouth and the die. No problem. Be careful to pour the powder straight into the hole and it will happen less.~Muir

gixer1

Neil,

:rofl:

Muir,

thanks, that's what I thought...will maybe funnel the next batch.

its unfortunately blowing a gale here today so might not get any testing done...:(

Thanks again gents.

regards,
​gixer

bewsher500

you can get a cleaner fill by putting the upturned die on top of the filled scoop and then inverting the whole thing tapping it down as you do it

(i actually just started using a drilled wooden block and powder funnel and doing the process in batches!)

have a spare funnel if you want one!

gixer1

you can get a cleaner fill by putting the upturned die on top of the filled scoop and then inverting the whole thing tapping it down as you do it

(i actually just started using a drilled wooden block and powder funnel and doing the process in batches!)

have a spare funnel if you want one!

Thanks for the offer...I just bought one off eBay this morning lol!

regards,
​gixer

Last edited:

Hornet 6

There are funnels and there are funnels, I have had Lee ones, RCBS ones, even a Lyman one.
Now I only have one make Saturn, never lost a single grain of powder and no powder stuck to the funnel.

Brithunter

Ahhh yes powder sticking. I use and have used a Lee plastic funnel for years. Iy started to get powder grains sticking to it so I followed Lee's instructions and washed it and let it dry naturally. No longer had sticking powder grains.

Tamar

I've added a Lee powder measure to the setup - this makes it both faster than scooping (empty measure into a specimen tube then pour this into the funnel) and more versatile. I prep a batch of the cases on one occasion, and then on another night use the Lee Loader to necksize, prime, fill and add bullet. It takes me on average <50s per round to assemble prepped rounds and that is with checking consistency of the powder measure every 10 throws.

As mentioned above, I do live in a detached house, so I'm not disturbed by irate neighbours, and I do ensure that my wife is out with the child for the night! Turn up the music and bash along in time with the tunes:)

Hornet 6

Ahhh yes powder sticking. I use and have used a Lee plastic funnel for years. Iy started to get powder grains sticking to it so I followed Lee's instructions and washed it and let it dry naturally. No longer had sticking powder grains.

Yes that cures the sticking powder, but it still doesn't fit the case to the point it stays in place while adding powder though.
The Saturn funnels may come in different calibres, so could get expensive if you load lots of different calibres, but even hands free
they have never lost a single grain of powder for me in the last 3 years.

​Neil. :)