First casualty of the season.

Sauer 100 Stainless XTA - Discover Now >>>

Stalker1962

The birds on my wee shoot, arrived on Tuesday. They are (I am told) 10 weeks old.

When they were released into the pen, some of them managed to "flutter" straight over the fence and off into the surrounding woods.:oops:

The challenge is of course, that they are big enough to "make off" from the pen, before they realise that that is their new home.

This morning, I found a few that had made it across a decent sized field; and as a result I have filled one of the feeders in that area before I had planned to. They are already there, so they will need food and water.

Any hoo.

Just outside the wood that holds the pen, is a large hill/field.

I found the remains of one of my birds about ten yards into the open.

If this were a pub quiz, what killed it?

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 260

Tim.243

The birds on my wee shoot, arrived on Tuesday. They are (I am told) 10 weeks old.

When they were released into the pen, some of them managed to "flutter" straight over the fence and off into the surrounding woods.:oops:

The challenge is of course, that they are big enough to "make off" from the pen, before they realise that that is their new home.

This morning, I found a few that had made it across a decent sized field; and as a result I have filled one of the feeders in that area before I had planned to. They are already there, so they will need food and water.

Any hoo.

I would get up early and push the birds back in the pen, always had my 12b with 36gm 4's then dispatch any foxes who were waiting with the 24hr security guard.......
Same in the late afternoon :tiphat:

sh1kar

Any hoo.

Sparrowhawk

Bu99er

S

Foxyboy43

Defo the Sparrowhawk. Every year we get our poults said mamma sparrowhawk brings the kids along for a daily hunting lesson, using the posts of our pens as lecterns. Nature, harrumph!
🦊🦊

Stalker1962

Thanks awfully.

Sparrowhawk it is.

Will have a wander around in the morning with a hammer and bag of nails as suggested by Sika98k.

I do not mind (and expect) the hawks to take a couple, but I have a two issues.

1) I do not have that many birds to start with.

2) With them delivered at 10 weeks, they are at a difficult age. Old enough to wander, and too young to have learnt where home and "safety" is. So they will stroll off, unable to fly properly, and having not yet learnt what a Sparrowhawk means.

badbob

Trying to run a "wee " shoot is very challenging.
Everything in the world wants to kill, eat, chase, disturb, your birds.
Then they`ll want to commit suicide or die of some disease.
There will be a gradual attrition of birds by sparrow hawks and buzzards, 3 or 4 or 6 a day depending. ( multiply by 90 days)
Once out of the pen then foxes , cats and dogs will pick them up or chase them. If you`ve got a thousand + birds you can expect to loose a few hundred and still have enough to shoot.
If youve only got a few hundred then there will not be many left by October.:(
Good luck you can only do your best

Stalker1962

Trying to run a "wee " shoot is very challenging.
Everything in the world wants to kill, eat, chase, disturb, your birds.
Then they`ll want to commit suicide or die of some disease.
There will be a gradual attrition of birds by sparrow hawks and buzzards, 3 or 4 or 6 a day depending. ( multiply by 90 days)
Once out of the pen then foxes , cats and dogs will pick them up or chase them. If you`ve got a thousand + birds you can expect to loose a few hundred and still have enough to shoot.
If youve only got a few hundred then there will not be many left by October.:(
Good luck you can only do your best

Just going to "cut & paste" that into an email to the Farmer and Shoot Captain...😇

Stalker1962

Been there for 50 years got the T shirt
It is only a small "knockabout" shoot.

Not many birds, and I know them all by name.

This morning's victim was "Colin". I only knew him for two days but I liked him. He showed potential; but he would wander away from the pen.

I will give the others a word in their shell-like in the morning...

Frank Homes

It is only a small "knockabout" shoot.

Not many birds, and I know them all by name.

This morning's victim was "Colin". I only knew him for two days but I liked him. He showed potential; but he would wander away from the pen.

I will give the others a word in their shell-like in the morning...
I take it you didn't wing clip your birds?

Rhodesianjess

I take it you didn't wing clip your birds?
At ten weeks they would pushing blood quills, you would have to pull them to prevent damage. Best of luck getting a gamefarmer to do that😂 also any newly grown primaries would remain clipped for the greater part of the season.
S62, there's a reason old keepers whistle fed their birds,they associated it with being fed hence hefting them to that part of the shoot. Appreciate it works best if you rear your own and hand-feed but it's got to be worth a try. Even if it only works on the birds in the pen,it provides you a nucleus of birds that will help hold the wanderers a bit.
Best of luck with your endeavours 👍

The fourth Horseman

Any hoo.

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...