First centrefire now home at last...now what?

Sheprador1973

Hi all. Just got back yesterday with my 'new' (to me) Tikka in .308. So I spent all evening gawping at its beauty, like you do. So now what?

Is there an established routine for checking/maintaining a rifle that is new to you? I have run a couple of dry patches down it to remove a small amount of carbon from test firing at the range where I met the seller. Won't oil it as hopefully out very soon to shoot. Have checked all rifle and scope bolts but don't have a torque wrench yet. Bolt is super clean. Chamber and crown look fine to my untrained eye. Is there anything else to do or check...or do I just go out and shoot it now?

Hopefully not too stupid a post...just thought I'd double check I'm not missing something important. Thank you.

My most important thing with a new rifle is getting the eye relief right on the scope. So make sure when you shoulder the rifle the scope comes to the eye clearly and you don't have to move your head back and forth to accomadate it. Try this of sticks and in the sitting position as there will be some slight variation.

Then,
You just go shooting

Don't find problems, just deal with ones that find you.

Cleaning a stalking rifle is something I do once a year. Clean, lubricate, re zero, go stalking

If its been out in the rain ill dry it and run a dry swab through it to remove any moisture

Virtually no one uses a torque wrench on anything on a rifle. I own one and I don't use it.

If you shot it already and it worked fine, don't faff with it. Enjoy it and only fix stuff that is broken. Chasey makes a good point about eye relief on the scope as that might be different for the person you bought it from. Also wind down the mag to min and looking at a bright white surface, adjust the ocular eyepiece until the reticule is as clear to your eye as poss. Then if need be, do what Chasey said about getting eye relief right on the scope for the way in which you shoulder the gun.

Well done on the application process and acquiring your first firearm. New toys always put a smile on your face.

Enjoy and be safe but not in that order.

Going to have another look now thanks Chasey. Did notice a marked difference in eye relieve when shouldering offhand compared to prone off a bipod. On the latter, the scope was too close to the eye (by approx an inch I reckon). Don't really understand why the difference tbh. I'm sure someone can explain it but I'll double check again today.

General point taken though mate...'relax and shoot' :)

Thanks for your continued encouragement and support Cottis. Got to be honest, it feels rather strange right now. Suddenly having a .308 in the house I mean. Guess its a hangover from a general perception of firearms that most of the general public have (I was one of them once!). Just a peculiar mix of 'Wow..this is exciting' and 'S*@t! That is a REAL gun!' :) First experience of Bisley was an eye-opener mind. In a good way...( except for the guy shooting a large cal unmoderated just to my left) Next buy = active ear defenders!

And yes, I'll be checking eye relief and ocular lens today thank you. I'll post findings.

Finally, yes safety first and foremost!

Many thanks, P.

Get a chamber flag so that everyone around you feels at ease.
After years of shooting, I felt really uncomfortable at Bisley with muzzles waving about all over the place. You don't find shotgunners doing that if they have been brought up properly.

Hi all. Just got back yesterday with my 'new' (to me) Tikka in .308. So I spent all evening gawping at its beauty, like you do. So now what?

Is there an established routine for checking/maintaining a rifle that is new to you? I have run a couple of dry patches down it to remove a small amount of carbon from test firing at the range where I met the seller. Won't oil it as hopefully out very soon to shoot. Have checked all rifle and scope bolts but don't have a torque wrench yet. Bolt is super clean. Chamber and crown look fine to my untrained eye. Is there anything else to do or check...or do I just go out and shoot it now?

Hopefully not too stupid a post...just thought I'd double check I'm not missing something important. Thank you.
Congrats :) Not sure if this is easy on a Tikka, but if it's reasonably easy to remove the stock from the action and barrel I would do that and check there's no rust lurking in the hidden bits, and take the chance to give them a light wipe with an oily cloth.

Congrats :) Not sure if this is easy on a Tikka, but if it's reasonably easy to remove the stock from the action and barrel I would do that and check there's no rust lurking in the hidden bits, and take the chance to give them a light wipe with an oily cloth.

+1

Don't forget barrel break in. Some my say it's not necessary, but having broken in a lot of barrels and witnessed the swarf that comes out on cleaning for the first 5 rounds or so I am a great believer in the process, as are all the custom barrel makers.

Going to have another look now thanks Chasey. Did notice a marked difference in eye relieve when shouldering offhand compared to prone off a bipod. On the latter, the scope was too close to the eye (by approx an inch I reckon). Don't really understand why the difference tbh. I'm sure someone can explain it but I'll double check again today.

General point taken though mate...'relax and shoot' :)

The eye relief is built in as we spend most of our day up right, when prone you head is fwd of your shoulders. Shooting prone for me is just wrong with the eye relief so I avoid like the plague.
I can do it bit loose the will to live over 5 rounds lol
Shooting shot guns for over 40 + years Iv'e built up muscle memory which is in the up right position.

I zero my rifles off quad sticks as then all of my shooting style is built in....

Good luck with the new toy

Tim.243

Get a chamber flag so that everyone around you feels at ease.
After years of shooting, I felt really uncomfortable at Bisley with muzzles waving about all over the place. You don't find shotgunners doing that if they have been brought up properly.

Chamber flag just found it the case pocket! Thanks JTO

Don't forget barrel break in. Some my say it's not necessary, but having broken in a lot of barrels and witnessed the swarf that comes out on cleaning for the first 5 rounds or so I am a great believer in the process, as are all the custom barrel makers.

Sorry Nigel. My bad. To be clear it is not a new rifle. Bought used from a guy that used it occasionally for the odd stalk. I assume that means barrel break in is not necessary (as its already done)? ATB

Very good idea mate. Might leave until I shoot it next as its dry and safe for now in the cabinet. Many thanks.

Don't get too hung up on cleaning. If it gets wet, dry it. If it gets covered in crap, wipe it down. Oily cloth over the metalwork, and just keep an eye on the bore. My centrefires get a boresnake pulled through them now & again, but that's it. Just get out there and enjoy it :D

Oh, and photos are always cool ;)

Don't get too hung up on cleaning. If it gets wet, dry it. If it gets covered in crap, wipe it down. Oily cloth over the metalwork, and just keep an eye on the bore. My centrefires get a boresnake pulled through them now & again, but that's it. Just get out there and enjoy it :D

Oh, and photos are always cool ;)

Will do woodsmoke! :)

B*******s

Incidentally, and not what you think, does anyone here ever shop at a well known US based online store? I've looked before and, without meaning to offend anyone, they seem 'darned' expensive. Was jus looking to see if anyone had any of those tiny barrel plug screws for filling the holes left by iron sight removal. I need 2. Sell them in 4s. £27.50 before postage!!!

Incidentally, and not what you think, does anyone here ever shop at a well known US based online store? I've looked before and, without meaning to offend anyone, they seem 'darned' expensive. Was jus looking to see if anyone had any of those tiny barrel plug screws for filling the holes left by iron sight removal. I need 2. Sell them in 4s. £27.50 before postage!!!

When black ink or paint mixed with melted wax will do just fine.

K

I assume that means barrel break in is not necessary (as its already done)? ATB
Oh! You poor b&stard!! Most likely the barrel was not properly run in!! This means that you will struggle with accuracy all the live long day. (or week, or month, or year even!) I made the mistake of buying a new Tikka T-3 Lite in 7-08 and, ignoring the impulse to properly run it in, I just cleaned the bore and shot it. Shot it a lot.

As a result I am cursed with half MOA groups. I can't imagine how well it might have shot if I'd just run it in! As it is, I'm so disgusted with myself that I constantly fight back the urge to run a twist drill down that accursed barrel and then weld it shut. Damn my stupidity. ;) ~Muir

Back