First FAC Application

dfin

I'm 22, applying for my first FAC, and so far I've been on just two guided outings (taken one buck) I'll be taking DSC1 in December, I've been with my GP for 4 months and haven't had a check up since I was 12 (22 now) No criminal convictions.
I live in the south east, which makes me think the local police probably don't get these applications very often (most just eat plastic and tofu down this way)

Will it dampen my chances if i apply now (get rejected) and then apply again when more experienced? Or do you reckon I'll be accepted even though I'm green to this?
Eager to hear people thoughts on it and their own experiences with getting the first FAC, as last thing i want to do is jump the gun and be delayed even more.

Free range rob

Your from East Sussex so they get plenty of applications down there.
if you have good reason to own a firearm then apply, if you did get knocked back then you can apply anytime again in the future.
with no criminal record, no medical conditions and a good reason I would have thought it would be fine, you will likely be restricted on calibre, possibly they may want a mentor condition or such like until you have gained more experience, and it will be a closed ticket to start.

Stalker1962

I live in the south east, which makes me think the local police probably don't get these applications very often (most just eat plastic and tofu down this way)
Yeah, that's right.

I reckon yours will be the first application they have ever seen...

Sorry old son, but you left that wide open.

Seriously.

There are too many variables to cover on an Internet forum. The FEO who will be (eventually) around to see you (Covid19 permitting) is not a terrible place to start.
Find out who they are off your local Constabularies website and email a general query to them. Know their name. It will start the dialogue and almost subliminally, the process.

Do you have security sorted out?
Are you a member of an organisation?
Are you a member of any clubs?
Are you insured?
DSCI is (in my view) a great idea.

Best of luck with it all.

Last edited:

dfin

Your from East Sussex so they get plenty of applications down there.
if you have good reason to own a firearm then apply, if you did get knocked back then you can apply anytime again in the future.
with no criminal record, no medical conditions and a good reason I would have thought it would be fine, you will likely be restricted on calibre, possibly they may want a mentor condition or such like until you have gained more experience, and it will be a closed ticket to start.
Thanks mate that's much more positive than i was thinking, as long as it doesn't effect future chances then no reason not to, happy to be on a closed ticket

bullet chucker

My opinion only' on any future or present applications it states 'have you ever had an application turned down' If you apply with the prospect of being refused, I would not spoil your other wise clean record of applications. Get all of your reasons for getting a firearm in place and checked by someone who knows you, then crack on.

BC.

dfin

Are you insured?
I don't have security sorted out, like a gun safe? Will purchase one before applying if that's the case but assumed I'd need the FAC to buy it.
I'm not a member no, i intend to join BASC, and i certainly will before applying.
Not a member of any clubs, none I've found local but haven't looked very hard i must say.

Thank you, all advice is appreciated!

bogtrotter

Yeah, that's right.

I reckon yours will be the first application they have ever seen...

Sorry old son, but you left that wide open.

Seriously.

There are too many variables to cover on an Internet forum. The FEO who will be (eventually) around to see you (Covid19 permitting) is not a terrible place to start.
Find out who they are off your local Constabularies website and email a general query to them. Know their name. It will start the dialogue and almost subliminally, the process.

Are you insured?

Best of luck with it all.

Follow this advice and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Franchi Matt

I don't have security sorted out, like a gun safe? Will purchase one before applying if that's the case but assumed I'd need the FAC to buy it.
I'm not a member no, i intend to join BASC, and i certainly will before applying.
Not a member of any clubs, none I've found local but haven't looked very hard i must say.

Thank you, all advice is appreciated!
The sale of gun cabinets are not controlled, on that note - buy one that's suited for five guns. My first cabinet was one of them tiny '3 gun' jobbies.... was pathetically small and my collection soon grew to cater for all aspects of shooting.

dfin

Before you apply make sure you have a booked stalk in the diary in 2 or 3 months time. You need to demonstrate to the Police that you have the "need" to have a rifle, and a booked stalk will satisfy this.
Good point! I've got a couple booked this year (travel permitting) so should be all good

stubear

Agree with the advise you have been given already.

Also - dont allow yourself to be pushed into a cartridge that you don't want. If you want a .270/.308/6.5 or whatever then apply for that. The Home Office guidance is worth a read as it lays out the cartridges that are suitable for deer stalking and what you might reasonably be granted.

It does not say anywhere in the Firearms Act or the HO guidance that you must have a .243 on first application. You should also not have a mentoring condition applied as the old FELWG under Andy Marsh said back in 2013 these should not be applied.

You probably will be granted a closed ticket so make sure you know what that entails, and whilst DSC1 is NOT mandatory for getting your FAC the FLO's do like it (rightly or wrongly, I dont want to start that whole debate up) so something to consider at least.

dfin

Agree with the advise you have been given already.

Also - dont allow yourself to be pushed into a cartridge that you don't want. If you want a .270/.308/6.5 or whatever then apply for that. The Home Office guidance is worth a read as it lays out the cartridges that are suitable for deer stalking and what you might reasonably be granted.

It does not say anywhere in the Firearms Act or the HO guidance that you must have a .243 on first application. You should also not have a mentoring condition applied as the old FELWG under Andy Marsh said back in 2013 these should not be applied.

You probably will be granted a closed ticket so make sure you know what that entails, and whilst DSC1 is NOT mandatory for getting your FAC the FLO's do like it (rightly or wrongly, I dont want to start that whole debate up) so something to consider at least.
Thanks mate will have a look at HO quidance, .308 is what I'm after ideally

bfltd0

Best of luck with it.

I would also say that the FEO is not your enemy, so it is worth cultivating a professional relationship with him/her, rather than antagonistic. However, make sure you read the Home Office Guidance and check to see if the discussions are going in the same direction as the guidance would lead you to expect.

rookyshot

Hi
I had my first grant two years ago and the firearms officers that I dealt with were looking for clear evidence that you had gain some practical experience and that two other FAC holders would confirm your competence. I submitted reference’s that one of the stalking guides on here was kind enough to provide having taken me out stalking a few times and seen me safely handle a rifle and a further reference from a friend who had spent time shooting with me on my land using his rifles. Having a DSC1 was not of great interest to the firearms officer and I’m planning to do mine in the next couple of months having gained a bit more stalking experience.
Hope this helps and good luck with the application.

T.eddie

Had my first granted in March time, similar position to you had only done 1 stalk and had a 2nd booked in they were happy with that as I had evidence for them and also justified why I wanted the calibres I requested so you should be okay

Mike L

East sussex,brighton, you will probably deal with Sharon, a really nice officer who is a pleasure to deal with.

Tf223

When you buy the cabinet, as said, go for a 5 gun at least, with lock top box…. But make sure it’s a deep rifle cabinet. I started with a shallower 5 shotgun cabinet and it was a squeeze to get scoped rifles in.
I started with one shotgun and now have a modest 2, 4 FAC rifles and 1 air rifle in a brattonsound rl7+. I could now do with another, but on the bright side it stops me buying guns that arguably I don’t ‘need’, so I’m resisting any desire to buy another.
You will ALWAYS need a bigger cabinet.