First Muntjac

Had struggled to get off the mark this year and yesterday looked to be a continuation of the theme.

Favour for a friend and school traffic sees me turning up to the gate later than attended.

It's a challenging permission with pretty much all shooting from a tower looking along a wood edge so that's where I'm heading.

Past the pond up the hill, bugger, they're out already. Nine fallow does and a tidy buck.

No shot from here or other approach to the high seat so I continue brazenly ignoring them in the hope I'll resemble a walker and they'll pop back out.

An hour passes, they don't.

I spot a muntjac buck ambling through the wood looking as he has the intent to enter the field. On doing so they normally sprint for a hedge. In my eagerness to be ready, I ease from my seat and the leatherman attached to my belt knocks the chair arm and off he goes.

Not long later and three does appear 20 yards to my back and browse the wood edge away.

After a few minutes watching I turn around and nine does have entered the field about 150yds away.

The lights going, I'm praying for a buck. The sounds in the wood tell me he can't be far but I'm starting to get that sinking feeling again (I'd put the hours in this year but it just hadn't come together).

Shootable light all but gone and another munty appears. Exiting the wood 90yds out and heading my way.

He's keen to get to the hedge. First bark didn't stop him. Nor did the second. God knows what sound I made on the third but it worked!

He pauses, quartering towards me slightly, long enough for the rifle make a bark of its own.

Good shot. Straight down. My first unassisted gralloch is underway and I am absolutely chuffed to get this year underway.

Thinking of getting him mounted to commemorate my first!

HH

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_214848.jpg
    IMG_20201016_214848.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20201016_183006.jpg
    IMG_20201016_183006.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 83

HappyHunter

I will add that should it have been a blank I would have been frustrated but not too glum. That tower is one of my favourite places in the world. The wood is absolutely teaming with wildlife and just sitting back looking / listening takes some beating.

HH

HappyHunter

Nice Buck, how was the dressed weight?
Thanks Tim. Honestly didn't weigh him. I was surprised at his heft for his size but I'd not even seen one on the deck before so have no comparison.

Being after fallow I had the. 308. Between that and his quartering towards me I'd lost a shoulder to damage too.

I hear they're difficult to skin so have that to come.

HH

Zephyrjim

Thanks Tim. Honestly didn't weigh him. I was surprised at his heft for his size but I'd not even seen one on the deck before so have no comparison.

Being after fallow I had the. 308. Between that and his quartering towards me I'd lost a shoulder to damage too.

HH
That's a nice first munty!
For comparison my last one looked to be about 3 or 4 years old and weighted 7.5kg of meat in the freezer, all boned except ribs and shank but minus one shoulder. (He tripped on a .308 bullet honest sir, they do that 🤔)

Tim.243

HH

What I have found is the inside of the front leg/brisket/chest area is a fiddle, so what I have worked out is to run the knife up the inside of the f/leg (I use a boning knife) keep the handle tipped back and head half way up the chest cavity. Then tesse the fur strip off so you can grab it and pull down right passed the inside of the front leg.

I give a far bit away so people often get a mix of 2 left or right rear legs in the bag lol " Barron von frankenstein" lol