First quadcopter

johngryphon

Being an absolute novice and having not even seen one in action other than on tv I was pleasantly surprised as to how good the little Syma XC5 is,camera equipped for video and a steal at around $75 AUD delivered.
Trials and learning to fly included 14 shots from a single barrel .12G to break one tree branch way above ladder height to retrieve then the next day another dozen shots when stuck in another tree.

All I can say is if you buy a drone make sure that you have room to move or at least be able to shoot where you fly.
Great fun and no doubt down the track a Phantom will be ordered.

Rasputin

If your happy with a spanner and soldering iron. Try building one if parts are available. My buddy built one for about 2/3 price of a phtanom and its more highly specced. Flies upntona few thousand feet lol.

aris

I got an XC5 for my son for Christmas. I'm not sure who had more fun flying it :lol:

My advice - buy lots of spare batteries!

johngryphon

alas my model building skill is hopeless!

I saw where a fella built his fastest drone in the world for $650..it is amazing.

aris..i know exactly where you are coming from too.

Rasputin

alas my model building skill is hopeless!

I saw where a fella built his fastest drone in the world for $650..it is amazing.

aris..i know exactly where you are coming from too.
Thats a shame. My buddies one was wicked it took a full Go Pro and few really easily was pretty big too. I bought my father one for Xmas and he used it twice and now its in a box. Dick!!! Grrr

johngryphon

A full go pro? That would be fantastic to use or drop into the dam ha ha,I have had some close ones too.

bobjs

took my young ones up to 1200 feet and switched it of,

it it returned to within 6 feet from its take of point..

dj phantom 3

great fun just don't take it out when it's to windy,

bob

bobjs

Sounds excellent fun Bob, my 10 year old son would like one for Christmas !!. But a lot of money though. But we'll see.
i swapped a few things for this one, the footage on the iPad looks pants when your live, but when you down load it it's far far better,

bob.

aris

Sounds excellent fun Bob, my 10 year old son would like one for Christmas !!. But a lot of money though. But we'll see.
Go onto the bay and search for 'syma x5c'. Under £30 and includes an HD camera. Very affordable Christmas fun.

limulus

My experience using a quad copter at work:

is is it fully charged the?
yep blue light is flashing
great, let's try it out in the car park
hrte we go...eh it's fast up isn't it..wind shear..wind shear...quick get lower its going over the....oh ****!
end

.25-06

Seems familiar
My experience using a quad copter at work:

is is it fully charged the?
yep blue light is flashing
great, let's try it out in the car park
hrte we go...eh it's fast up isn't it..wind shear..wind shear...quick get lower its going over the....oh ****!
end

simonl

If your happy with a spanner and soldering iron. Try building one if parts are available. My buddy built one for about 2/3 price of a phtanom and its more highly specced. Flies upntona few thousand feet lol.
Flies up to a few thousand feet ??? Lots of them will do that, but it's only a matter of time before one brings a plane down. It's a bit like shooting birds in a tree with centrefire rifle.... in Hyde park.

Woodsmoke

Don't know about quadcopters, but I once spent a fortune on a radio-controlled helicopter that was touted as being 'so easy to fly your kids can do it' . . . . . .

Every time that damn thing so much as left the cupboard it was kept in I could be guaranteed to lose at least twenty quid on replacing spare parts. And I spent more time climbing trees trying to retrieve the bloody thing than I did actually trying to get it to fly :-|

Orion

Don't know about quadcopters, but I once spent a fortune on a radio-controlled helicopter that was touted as being 'so easy to fly your kids can do it' . . . . . .
You need a DJI Phantom 4 then. ;)

Virtually flies itself.............................actually it does fly itself! Just tap the screen on a smartphone or iPad and it'll go where you want it to, avoiding obstructions along the way, or follow people/animals you've nominated, filming all the while. Hit the return switch and it'll automatically come back and land at your feet. Range/endurance isn't too bad either.

http://www.dji.com/phantom-4

I'm quite tempted to get one myself once I've sold the results of a garage clear-out on the Bay.

[video=youtube;qHmOVShIspc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmOVShIspc[/video]

Last edited: