First Roe Buck outing

Territory Hunting
Being new to stalking I've been itching to get out again and from the recommendation of others on here I booked in with Jim Riley at DVGM. We were originally booked to go out early December but it was to foggy so postponed, then early Jan and the dread Covid lockdown was in full swing so was cancelled, then.....as by divine intervention a quick "don't suppose your free on good Friday are you?" Was met with an even quicker..."yes mate, let's crack on!"

With the days getting longer and longer we had a 15:30 start mainly so we could get to know each other with a useful, interesting and varied chat covering everything from work, personal life, covid (as we are all experts now), the government, how hunting brings different races or religions together and the Netflix show meateater which is a favourite of both of ours.

After an hour or so we head to the range so I can test and hone some of my skills under the tutelage of someone that knows what they are talking about which I found very useful especially the shooting off sticks as, although I shot my first muntjac off sticks I was never really told how to set them up etc. Already a cracking afternoon.

After the range we set off and stalk along the hedge lines and through the wood and as we come to a clearing a roe pops it's head up about 200m away and we stop and watch through the binos, it's a doe..damn..buts it's a doe that is running straight towards us. Now considering I've only ever seen 2 roe deer in my life, both at the same time and both just the ass end this made me feel as though I was in some sort of David Attenborough documentary and all that was running through my head was (here we have a roe doe)...

Eventually it spooks and we carry on along some fields we spot a lovely buck but alas he his feeding away right towards a public footpath and end of the boundary so just not worth the risk. Opposite across the otherwise of the field we see a roe buck cleaning his velvet off again another first for me, the light starts to fade so we try and power down to get into a shootable position but he is gone before we get there.

Last ditch attempt we spot some muntjac pop out on a hedgerow not to far away and we work towards them, turns out to be a doe and follower and directly behind them are 2 roe that we can't sex due to the light. Nothing present no shots are taken but my blood is pumping through the number of things seen for the first time and I remember how amazing everything was as a kid when you had never seen it before.

It's been said a few times by other but I'd reiterate, it's not about taking a shot and killing something, it's about being out there and being apart of nature and if your lucky enough to take something it's about having meat for the freezer to help give your family a truly wild and healthy option.

Awesome evening, time to head home and devour some spag bol.

Will definitely get out with Jim again and can't recommend him enough

muntjacmad

Great write up...im totally with you it's about being out and about. Sounds like you have met a smdecent bloke there sometimes it just clicks with guides doesn't it.
Atb

Dhindes

Great write up.
I do not know what it is about Roe but they get my heart pounding like no other. I have hunted them 3 -4 times now and have yet to shoot as when I have had the chance I could just not calm down enough !. This winter I finally shot what I thought to be a roe on a driven hunt in France - turned out to be a Fallow fawn, no mother - good to take and was great eating but still no Roe !

T.eddie

Great write up.
I do not know what it is about Roe but they get my heart pounding like no other. I have hunted them 3 -4 times now and have yet to shoot as when I have had the chance I could just not calm down enough !. This winter I finally shot what I thought to be a roe on a driven hunt in France - turned out to be a Fallow fawn, no mother - good to take and was great eating but still no Roe !
I find they are almost like ghosts, you cant see them, then suddenly they are everywhere! Ive yet to see fallow or Sika but am excited to see how stalking each varies as I progress

PMA

Nice write up Tom . Like you say it’s just good be out there !
im sure you’ll get one next time .
I’m out with BASC at the end of the month first time for over 5 years !!!

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope