First Roe Buck

Well done mate!
My first roe was not that ago either, but now totally addicted to being in the field.
Butchering it and cooking it complete the whole process for me, we're lucky people.
Wishing you great success.

Congratulations I shot my first last year and it’s something I’ll never forget! From field to garage to kitchen table !

Well done on the head also

Out of interest alan, where did you take it from? That's a really good yearling for Norfolk but suspect that's not where it came from?

Definitely and indubitoubly no yearling. Turned down coronets middle aged at least. :tiphat:
I have edited because I think I was a bit hash in my initial reply. You're talking to someone who's studied ageing to quite some depth. I have even provided some people on here some of my work verified by people I consider to be true deer experts. It's a yearling and at the very most 2 years old (unlikely though). Teeth would confirm though obviously. The pedicles are angling inwards. That immediately tells you that it's a very young roe buck. Coronets vary according to area and the quality of the animal. Pedicles change angle with age. It's just how it is. Hope that helps you and others to age on the hoof.

Last edited:
Oh please. Give me strength. You're talking to someone who's studied ageing to quite some depth. I have even provided some people on here some of my work verified by deer experts. It's a yearling and not up for debate!

I am finding some of your statements quite amusing. You obviously did not know that all the Norfolk roe came from the same introduced strain.
Yearling my fundamental orifice, how you studied ageing I will never know, and when you have looked at as many as I have and done an awful lot of tooth sectioning on Roe from the highlands to Cornwall I will give you strength. You will need that strength to carry out the thousands that I have over 60+ years. :p

I'd've put him down as a 2 year old, not older, pedicles a mite too developed/thickened for a yearling, but too long to be a 3rd year head imHo (emphasis on the capital H!)

I'd've put him down as a 2 year old, not older, pedicles a mite too developed/thickened for a yearling, but too long to be a 3rd year head imHo (emphasis on the capital H!)
I get that Freeforester but I have an almost identical head to that one in my garage and shot by me. 11 months old verified by 3 cusp 3rd pre-molar in the jaw that are with it. If it hadn't been living in a copse next to a busy road it would have lived on as one of the best yearlings in the area. As I have already said, the angle of the pedicles are the gold plated identifier.

Calm down chaps i would not have posted if i had known the effect it has caused

Not excited at all Alan. As I said I wish you many, many more. I could easily accept 2-3 yrs old as pedicles are thin (I didn't notice the cleaned head just the photo of the whole animal). Keep posting my friend it's great to hear when new folk get their first of anything. :tiphat:

Thank you all
Definitely keep posting Alan. Ageing and disease are the two very important subjects that you should have a good knowledge of if you want to consider yourself a competent deer stalker. Ageing is also an important part of DSC2 and the Deer management course for good reason.
Good luck with your future adventures and if you need any help then don't hesitate to PM me.

Alan, I've only picked up on your thread. Great result and a lovely buck.

Ignore the 'frank exchange of views' that seems to have hijacked your triumph. Memories of your 1st roe buck will outlive that!

Back